Broadband *and* dial-up?

Old May 2nd 05, 06:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cap'n

Default Broadband *and* dial-up?

Is it possible for me to have broadband in my shared flat if the live-in
landlord doesn't want it? Would it be possible to have both services (my
BB and his dial-up) on the same incoming line? .. Thx.
Old May 2nd 05, 06:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Cap'n" wrote in message
Is it possible for me to have broadband in my shared flat if the live-in
landlord doesn't want it? Would it be possible to have both services (my
BB and his dial-up) on the same incoming line? .. Thx.

Yes, its possible - two small points to note though:

1) Your landlords telephones/dial-up connections will need to filtered.

2) Your landlords connection speed may change slightly (either up or down)

Regards
Sunil

Old May 2nd 05, 06:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Donald McTrevor

"Cap'n" wrote in message
Is it possible for me to have broadband in my shared flat if the live-in
landlord doesn't want it? Would it be possible to have both services (my
BB and his dial-up) on the same incoming line? .. Thx.

Well, if you are paying for BB anyway I am sure there is some way of
you provinng your LL internet access via your BB.

You would become his ISP in effect, I am not sure how to do it, exectly
but I am sure it could be done, some sort of local area network,.

Old May 2nd 05, 06:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Oliver Walter

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message

"Cap'n" wrote in message
Is it possible for me to have broadband in my shared flat if the

live-in
landlord doesn't want it? Would it be possible to have both

services (my
BB and his dial-up) on the same incoming line? .. Thx.

Yes, its possible - two small points to note though:

1) Your landlords telephones/dial-up connections will need to

filtered.

Confirmed. I have broadband (frequent use), and a dial-up modem
(occasional use).
I have a two-socket outlet, with a microfilter plugged into each
socket. The phone and the broadband cable are plugged into one
microfilter, and the modem is in the "phone" socket of the other
microfilter.

--
Oliver
("Reply-To:" address will send non-spam to me

Old May 2nd 05, 09:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cap'n

Oliver Walter wrote:

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message

"Cap'n" wrote in message

Is it possible for me to have broadband in my shared flat if the

live-in

landlord doesn't want it? Would it be possible to have both

services (my

BB and his dial-up) on the same incoming line? .. Thx.

Yes, its possible - two small points to note though:

1) Your landlords telephones/dial-up connections will need to

filtered.

Confirmed. I have broadband (frequent use), and a dial-up modem
(occasional use).
I have a two-socket outlet, with a microfilter plugged into each
socket. The phone and the broadband cable are plugged into one
microfilter, and the modem is in the "phone" socket of the other
microfilter.

Thanks for the info. Just to get this clear:

If we have a phone point (either a double one, or one with a
one-into-two adapter), we would need a microfilter plugged into each,
than my broadband access could come off one, and his
phone/dial-up/answerphone could come off the other?

And there would be no changes to 'his side of things'?

Cheers.

Old May 2nd 05, 10:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 02 May 2005 20:57:45 +0100, Cap'n
wrote:

If we have a phone point (either a double one, or one with a
one-into-two adapter), we would need a microfilter plugged into each,
than my broadband access could come off one, and his
phone/dial-up/answerphone could come off the other?

a microfilter has an unfiltered outlet for the ADSL modem and a
filtered one for all the telephony devices.

So you plug your modem into the RJ11 port and all this stuff gets fed
out of the BT type port using whatever tree of adaptors and extensions
are necessary.

Phil

Old May 2nd 05, 10:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 02 May 2005 20:57, Cap'n wrote:

If we have a phone point ... we would need a microfilter plugged into each,
than my broadband access could come off one, and his phone /dial-up
/answerphone could come off the other?

Yes

And there would be no changes to 'his side of things'?

Except for a speed change (possible reduction) which may be noticeable!

--
Try a commercial news service - from 50 MB/day (once-only fee of $5 )
up to 1500 MB/day for 6 months $99.95, 600 GB over 6 months $149.75
Old May 2nd 05, 10:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cap'n

Peter M wrote:
On 02 May 2005 20:57, Cap'n wrote:

Except for a speed change (possible reduction) which may be noticeable!

Aahh.. This might be a Bad Thing. Perhaps I should avoid mentioning that
part :-?
Old May 2nd 05, 10:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cap'n

wrote:

If we have a phone point (either a double one, or one with a
one-into-two adapter), we would need a microfilter plugged into each,
than my broadband access could come off one, and his
phone/dial-up/answerphone could come off the other?

a microfilter has an unfiltered outlet for the ADSL modem and a
filtered one for all the telephony devices.

So you plug your modem into the RJ11 port and all this stuff gets fed
out of the BT type port using whatever tree of adaptors and extensions
are necessary.

So, I get a microfilter to plug into the main socket, I run my BB modem
off the unfiltered side, and he plugs his 'stuff' into the other
(filtered) side? And *if* he wanted to go to BB later we'd just need
another microfilter? (And modem or router?)

Cheers.
Old May 2nd 05, 11:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 02 May 2005 21:49:03 +0100, Cap'n
wrote:

So, I get a microfilter to plug into the main socket, I run my BB modem
off the unfiltered side, and he plugs his 'stuff' into the other
(filtered) side?

correct

And *if* he wanted to go to BB later we'd just need
another microfilter? (And modem or router?)

no, you can only have one broadband circuit on a line. You would have
to network with him.

Phil