Zetnet?

Old May 2nd 05, 06:44 PM posted to alt.internet.providers.uk,uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Hutchings

Default Zetnet?

I'm currently with Zen paying 24.99 for 512kbps and I keep wanting to
jump somewhere a little better VFM.

I'm not a heavy user but at the same time caps don't sit well with me,
50gb is probably a huge amount but it always seems different when you're
creeping closer to it :-)

Anyway stumbled upon Zetnet, no mention of caps, seem well regarded, but
the website's a little "basic" as a selling tool :-)

All I want is a fast, stable connection, I get usenet and mail from
third parties and don't want web space.

Can anyone tell me anything about them?

cheers,
Paul
--
paul at spamcop dot net
Old May 2nd 05, 06:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk
Peter Morgan

On 02 May 2005 17:44, Paul Hutchings wrote:

Can anyone tell me anything about them?

They have been going for years. I used them 5++ years ago when they were
offering their own non-standard methods for up/download keeping calls to
a minimum (similar to the old BBS idea of packing data using RAR/ZIP).

They possibly lost customers from dial-up when there were various other
cheaper deals for 'anytime' access. When Cloud 9 faced a major DDoS,
Zetnet bought their customer base (so they probably have a lot of users).

While the HQ is based up in the Shetlands, the networking kit is mostly
in Manchester). Someone posted only a couple of days ago about them in
u.t.b. as a possible alternative to Zen. I have to admit not looked at
their website in a while (since Cloud 9 problems, 15 or 27 months ago,
when one of my clients had just signed up with Cloud 9 to try them out).

NB uk.net.providers also exists (instead of alt.internet.providers.uk )

--
Plus.Net http://tinyurl.com/5jpa4
I recommend them and save some cash.

Old May 2nd 05, 07:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk
Bob Eager

On Mon, 2 May 2005 16:44:21 UTC, Paul Hutchings
wrote:

Can anyone tell me anything about them?

I was a satisfied dialup customer for years. They became more shambolic
when one of the founders had health problems and didn't have so much to
do with running it.

They had a totally unrealistic business plan for 'anytime' access (I
didn't realise this because I wasn't au fait with what their costs
were). One day they turned round and accused all 'anytime' users who
used more than a certain amount of being 'abusers'; note that I was not
one of those who was on 24/7, but I was still given a hard time. They
changed their charging basis with about 4 weeks' notice, and set it up
so that 'extra' hours over some threshold were charged extra. So far,
just about OK. But one had to pay up front (i.e. forecast each month's
usage). The estimated cost for me was far in excess of ADSL charges, so
I asked them about that, and they eventually indicated that they would
be offering ADSL 'soon' but showed little knowledge of the details. They
wouldn't allow (e.g.) mail servers to be run.

So I left. I paid yearly, and I had 7 months still to run. They refused
*any* refund, either on the basic ISP charge or the 100 p.a. they
charged for webspace. They also charged me 75 pounds to move a domain
name away from them (they'd only held the tag for 2 months, and had paid
no charges on it).

So, I couldn't recommend them.
euthanasia recommended. ]
Old May 2nd 05, 08:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Hutchings

In article ,
Patrick Nethercot (ngs) wrote:

I've been with them for years, and have had their 512 ADSL for 18 months
now. I find them simply excellent. The bosses and techies are in their
newsgroups, there is a real community feel about it.

No cap, and especially if you've already got the gear, well priced. I
use their proprietry and very safe email and news client Zimacs, but you
can use any standard mail/news program you like if that's not to your
taste.

Yeah, we keep telling them about the website...

Well as a sales tool it does.. well.. it sucks frankly :-)

Has there been any chatter over what exactly "no caps" means in Zetnet
terms? As I said I'm not a prolific downloader by any means but I don't
like having to watch what and when I use my connection.

I'd be looking at the 1mbps or 2mbps product, now don't get me wrong I
don't have this vision of an ISP run out of a cottage in the Shetlands
but what sort of connectivity do Zetnet have?

cheers,
Paul
--
paul at spamcop dot net