Broadband "exchange-end" modem.

Old May 3rd 05, 05:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Default Broadband "exchange-end" modem.

Do these even exist as standalone boxes?
Not generic "connect 2 of these to each end of a line", but one that
would work with a standard modem.
Old May 3rd 05, 06:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
Do these even exist as standalone boxes?
Not generic "connect 2 of these to each end of a line", but one that
would work with a standard modem.

What do you mean? Why would a modem be in the exchange?

Old May 3rd 05, 06:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On Tue, 3 May 2005 17:45:50 +0100, "Chris" [email protected] wrote:

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
Do these even exist as standalone boxes?

What do you mean? Why would a modem be in the exchange?

I assume he means the 'DSLAM' end ... if one (eg the council) were wanting
to link their existing buildings together in a 'star' network with their
own unit in the centre of the star, and a large (or small) number of
ADSL modem/routers spread around in each of the other buildings.

That's allow them to save if they already had a network of their own lines.
I suspect (to move back to Ian's query) that the 'mini DSLAM' would be the
thing ... http://www.adslguide.org/newsarchive.asp?item=1059 ? Peter

--
Plus.Net http://tinyurl.com/5jpa4
I recommend them and save some cash.

Old May 3rd 05, 07:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

see http://www.adslguide.org/newsarchive.asp?item=1035

Old May 3rd 05, 07:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Muxton

On Tue, 03 May 2005 17:57:08 +0100, Peter M
wrote:

On Tue, 3 May 2005 17:45:50 +0100, "Chris" [email protected] wrote:

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
Do these even exist as standalone boxes?

What do you mean? Why would a modem be in the exchange?

I assume he means the 'DSLAM' end ... if one (eg the council) were wanting
to link their existing buildings together in a 'star' network with their
own unit in the centre of the star, and a large (or small) number of
ADSL modem/routers spread around in each of the other buildings.

That's allow them to save if they already had a network of their own lines.
I suspect (to move back to Ian's query) that the 'mini DSLAM' would be the
thing ... http://www.adslguide.org/newsarchive.asp?item=1059 ? Peter

They could install their own small DSLAM at the head office premises,
then use BT EPS9 lines to connect the remote ends, with a standard
ADSL modem installed at each one - but the remote ends must be
connected to the same telephone exchange as the head office.

Jake

Old May 4th 05, 08:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On 03 May 2005 15:02:49 GMT, Ian Stirling
wrote:

Not generic "connect 2 of these to each end of a line", but one that
would work with a standard modem.

you aren't allowed to do "reverse ADSL" ie put a DSLAM type modem on
your end of an exchange line as this would drown out your neighbours
weak downstream signal.

Phil

Old May 4th 05, 12:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

wrote:

Not generic "connect 2 of these to each end of a line", but one that
would work with a standard modem.

you aren't allowed to do "reverse ADSL" ie put a DSLAM type modem on
your end of an exchange line as this would drown out your neighbours
weak downstream signal.

Thanks everyone for the comments.
Well, yes, I wasn't actually meaning to connect to BTs network, that'd
be silly, as it wouldn't actually (usually) work.
Old May 4th 05, 09:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On 04 May 2005 10:46:26 GMT, Ian Stirling
wrote:

Well, yes, I wasn't actually meaning to connect to BTs network, that'd
be silly, as it wouldn't actually (usually) work.

look for a DSLAM on Ebay ? I think it would be cheaper to use the "one
of these on each end of the line" types to be honest.

Phil

Old May 4th 05, 11:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Wood

In message , Ian
Stirling writes
Do these even exist as standalone boxes?
Not generic "connect 2 of these to each end of a line", but one that
would work with a standard modem.

ZyXEL sell SDSL and VDSL kit which has a 'one line' device at the
'exchange' end..

For SDSL, which is certainly OK to use over a 'dark copper' circuit such
as what used to be called an EPS9 and is now called Baseband Standard,
investigate a pair of Prestige 791.

For VDSL, which is almost certainly outside the ANFP for the public
network, look at Prestige 841 and a Prestige 841C. You need one of each.
You probably can't use a P841 except with a P841C at the other end.

David
--
David Wood