Cannot connect with router

Old May 3rd 05, 05:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil

Default Cannot connect with router

"R D S" wrote in
:

Connecting to the router by any computer on the network is fine using
it's IP address.
I have double checked the user and pass are OK, the country selection
is OK all seems well with the other settings PPPoE,0,38 etc but the
'connect' led won't illuminate, the 'sync' led is on permanently.

Shouldn't it be PPPoA in the UK? I know some exchanges have PPPoE, but
it's generally PPPoA here.

--
Phil
http://www.philipchung.co.uk/
Old May 3rd 05, 05:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R D S

Hi,
Broadband enabled today but I cant get a connection with my 3com
officeconnect router.
I can connect however with a USB modem so my account is active.

Connecting to the router by any computer on the network is fine using it's
IP address.
I have double checked the user and pass are OK, the country selection is OK
all seems well with the other settings PPPoE,0,38 etc but the 'connect' led
won't illuminate, the 'sync' led is on permanently.

Any input on where to start looking for a solution to this?
I have the same model of router at home and that connected without a hitch.

TIA
Rick

PS The following is in the log file if it helps....

2005.05.03 16:09:03 PPPoE stop
2005.05.03 16:09:01 PPPoE1 start PPP
2005.05.03 16:09:01 PPPoE receive PADS
2005.05.03 16:09:01 PPPoE send PADR
2005.05.03 16:09:01 PPPoE receive PADO
2005.05.03 16:09:01 PPPoE send PADI
2005.05.03 16:09:01 Dial On Demand(PPPoE1)
2005.05.03 16:08:59 PPPoE stop
2005.05.03 16:08:55 PPPoE1 start PPP
2005.05.03 16:08:55 PPPoE receive PADS
2005.05.03 16:08:55 PPPoE send PADR
2005.05.03 16:08:55 PPPoE receive PADO
2005.05.03 16:08:55 PPPoE send PADI
2005.05.03 16:08:55 Dial On Demand(PPPoE1)

Old May 3rd 05, 05:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R D S

"Phil" wrote in message
"R D S" wrote in
:

Connecting to the router by any computer on the network is fine using
it's IP address.
I have double checked the user and pass are OK, the country selection
is OK all seems well with the other settings PPPoE,0,38 etc but the
'connect' led won't illuminate, the 'sync' led is on permanently.

Shouldn't it be PPPoA in the UK? I know some exchanges have PPPoE, but
it's generally PPPoA here.

--
Phil
http://www.philipchung.co.uk/

Thanks thats done it.
The one I have at home (different provider however) is PPPoe i'm sure. I
phoned tech support for this ISP earlier today and detailed all my settings
and he confirmed them as OK.

Cheers,
Rick

Old May 3rd 05, 06:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"R D S" wrote in message

"Phil" wrote in message
"R D S" wrote in
:

Connecting to the router by any computer on the network is fine using
it's IP address.
I have double checked the user and pass are OK, the country selection
is OK all seems well with the other settings PPPoE,0,38 etc but the
'connect' led won't illuminate, the 'sync' led is on permanently.

Shouldn't it be PPPoA in the UK? I know some exchanges have PPPoE, but
it's generally PPPoA here.

PPPoE should work as long as you choose LLC encapsulation rather than VC\MUX
(that's what the 3Com tech support guy told me and it works).

Keep an eye on the log and check for any random disconnects\reconnects
whilst in use. I'm seeing some of those which I didn't with the old USB
modem.

Old May 3rd 05, 08:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R D S

"Dave" wrote in message

"R D S" wrote in message

"Phil" wrote in message
"R D S" wrote in
:

Connecting to the router by any computer on the network is fine

using
it's IP address.
I have double checked the user and pass are OK, the country

selection
is OK all seems well with the other settings PPPoE,0,38 etc but the
'connect' led won't illuminate, the 'sync' led is on permanently.

Shouldn't it be PPPoA in the UK? I know some exchanges have PPPoE,

but
it's generally PPPoA here.

PPPoE should work as long as you choose LLC encapsulation rather than

VC\MUX
(that's what the 3Com tech support guy told me and it works).

My connection to V21 at home is after checking PPPoE with VC\MUX.
I guess it just depends who you connect with.

The router at work seems fine at PPPoA with VC\MUX, I just wish the tech guy
I phoned this morning had said something then I wouldn't have spend all
afternoon ****ing about.

Rick

Rick

Old May 4th 05, 08:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 03 May 2005 19:17:39 +0100, Nigel M
wrote:

Pay peanuts, employ monkeys.

there seems to be little correlation, "run a call centre, employ
battery chickens" may be more accurate.

Phil