Wrong router - help?

Old May 4th 05, 11:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JJJJ

Default Wrong router - help?

I accidently/stupidly ordered the wrong router, one without a built in modem.
Can I get round this somehow without sending it back? I need a modem but the
one which comes with the broadband package I'm opting for is a standard USB
and won't connect to the router. Is there any way of doing this? Or would the
easiest thing be to send it back?

Thanks.

Jules
There are two respites from the miseries of life - music and cats.
Old May 4th 05, 11:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ABC

"JJJJ" wrote in message
I accidently/stupidly ordered the wrong router, one without a built in
modem.
Can I get round this somehow without sending it back? I need a modem but
the
one which comes with the broadband package I'm opting for is a standard
USB
and won't connect to the router. Is there any way of doing this? Or would
the
easiest thing be to send it back?

Thanks.

Jules
There are two respites from the miseries of life - music and cats.

The only real solution would be to sent the item back. Although some shops
will refuse returns if they aren't faulty.

You could buy an external ADSL modem that has an ethernet output, but this
would cost more.

Old May 4th 05, 11:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JJJJ

In article , Phil wrote:
(JJJJ) wrote in
:

I accidently/stupidly ordered the wrong router, one without a built in
modem. Can I get round this somehow without sending it back? I need a
modem but the one which comes with the broadband package I'm opting
for is a standard USB and won't connect to the router. Is there any
way of doing this? Or would the easiest thing be to send it back?

I believe this ethernet modem works:

http://www.adslnation.com/products/xmodem-ce.php

But it'll cost about the same as an ADSL router.

so I might as well send it back and get another then! Thanks.

Old May 4th 05, 11:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

JJJJ wrote:

I accidently/stupidly ordered the wrong router, one without a built
in modem. Can I get round this somehow without sending it back? I
need a modem but the one which comes with the broadband package I'm
opting for is a standard USB and won't connect to the router. Is
there any way of doing this? Or would the easiest thing be to send it
back?

Thanks.

Jules
There are two respites from the miseries of life - music and cats.

You would need a broadband modem with an ethernet output - a USB one won't
work with your router. By the time you've bought a new modem you will have
spent more than the cost of a combined router/modem. If possible, I'd send
your router back and swap it for a more suitable one.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old May 4th 05, 11:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JJJJ

In article , Harry wrote:
On Wed, 04 May 2005 10:03:05 GMT, (JJJJ)
wrote:

I accidently/stupidly ordered the wrong router, one without a built in modem.
Can I get round this somehow without sending it back? I need a modem but the
one which comes with the broadband package I'm opting for is a standard USB
and won't connect to the router. Is there any way of doing this? Or would the
easiest thing be to send it back?

Thanks.

Jules
There are two respites from the miseries of life - music and cats.

You can buy a ADSL modem with Ethernet connection
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...action=c2hvd19
wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=59999

I think this is what you need.

Harry

Thanks I thought that would be the case, however if I can't swap at least I
have an option, either that or put it on Amazon/ebay...

Old May 4th 05, 11:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike GW8IJT

"JJJJ" wrote in message
I accidently/stupidly ordered the wrong router, one without a built in

modem.
Can I get round this somehow without sending it back? I need a modem

but the
one which comes with the broadband package I'm opting for is a

standard USB
and won't connect to the router. Is there any way of doing this? Or

would the
easiest thing be to send it back?

Thanks.

Jules
There are two respites from the miseries of life - music and cats.

You need to contact the seller & explain that you've ordered the wrong
one, the seller isn't bound by law to take it back but if it's one of
the larger companies, I'm sure they'll be helpful.
Good luck.
Regards Mike.

Old May 4th 05, 12:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ray Bellis

You need to contact the seller & explain that you've
ordered the wrong one, the seller isn't bound by law to
take it back ...

They are since the introduction of the Distance Selling Regulations if
it's a mail / telephone / internet order and you do it within 7 days of
receiving the goods (nb: caveats apply, see
http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/fa...stancesell.htm)

Ray