Refuse to release MAC Codes?

Old May 4th 05, 12:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BJH

Default Refuse to release MAC Codes?

Hi

Can an ISP refuse to give out MAC Codes? I was discussing this with a
colleague the other day and he said that his ISP wouldn't 'release' the MAC
code and if he wanted to change to another ADSL provider it would take up
to 3-4 weeks to change over as the ADSL connection would have to be removed
and then reconnected by his new provider.

Seems a bit naughty to me.

--
Regards
Barry
Old May 4th 05, 12:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Morgan

BJH wrote:
Hi

Can an ISP refuse to give out MAC Codes? I was discussing this with a
colleague the other day and he said that his ISP wouldn't 'release' the MAC
code and if he wanted to change to another ADSL provider it would take up
to 3-4 weeks to change over as the ADSL connection would have to be removed
and then reconnected by his new provider.

Seems a bit naughty to me.

As I understand it there is a voluntary code of practice, so I am not sure
how it could be enforced, especially to those that haven't signed up to it.
But read here.....

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/advice/telec...m_cop/?a=87101

The existing service provider cannot withhold an authorisation code to
enforce debt collection or contractual rights. However, customers are not
freed from contractual obligations they have entered in to with their
existing service provider - i.e.: they will have to honour the remaining
term of an existing contract or pay early cancellation fees, if applicable.
An existing service provider will still be able to take reasonable action
to enforce their contractual rights even after a customer has migrated to a
new service provider.

--
Regards

Morgan

Hard Drive Noise....

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/morgan.tate/
Old May 4th 05, 12:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 4 May 2005 11:25, BJH wrote:

he said that his ISP wouldn't 'release' the MAC and if he wanted to
change to another ADSL provider it would take up to 3-4 weeks to

Which ISP is it (so others are aware before they consider signing up ?

Do they have some 'pay a fee when you leave' policy (eg V.21)

Has he been in any dispute over payments (they might withhold the MAC
to make it more awkward, and anyway, *they* have to request the cease
of ADSL service, he cannot do it himself... When I cancelled with my
old ISP (Freeserve) they didn't cancel ADSL service and as a result I
could neither get a new ISP's service (line had ADSL) nor use it (the
login details would not work as FS had cancelled the account). Peter.

--
Plus.Net http://tinyurl.com/5jpa4
I recommend them and save some cash.

Old May 4th 05, 01:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Ough

"BJH" wrote in message
Hi

Can an ISP refuse to give out MAC Codes? I was discussing this with a
colleague the other day and he said that his ISP wouldn't 'release' the

MAC
code and if he wanted to change to another ADSL provider it would take up
to 3-4 weeks to change over as the ADSL connection would have to be

removed
and then reconnected by his new provider.

Seems a bit naughty to me.

Smells like Tiscali all over. They're so ****e that they want to make
leaving them as difficult as possible.

Anyone who signs up with that bunch of t**sers deserves all they get
IMHO....

Simon

Old May 4th 05, 01:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BJH

On Wed, 04 May 2005 11:45:56 +0100, Peter M wrote:

Which ISP is it (so others are aware before they consider signing up ?

Has he been in any dispute over payments (they might withhold the MAC
to make it more awkward, and anyway, *they* have to request the cease
of ADSL service, he cannot do it himself... When I cancelled with my
old ISP (Freeserve) they didn't cancel ADSL service and as a result I
could neither get a new ISP's service (line had ADSL) nor use it (the
login details would not work as FS had cancelled the account). Peter.

I don't want to say who it is because I only got the info secondhand and
can't speak for its absolute accuracy, but AFAIK there has never been any
disputes and all invoices have been paid on time, so I look on it that they
are just being difficult.

I just wondered whether it could be effectively challenged.

--
Regards
Barry
Old May 4th 05, 02:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

Simon Ough wrote:

: Smells like Tiscali all over. They're so ****e that they want to make
: leaving them as difficult as possible.

Without maligning them further surely Tiscali use DATASTREAM? There is no
migration from DataStream to IPStream (so a MAC code would be meaningless!)
Old May 4th 05, 02:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

Brian McIlwrath wrote:
Simon Ough wrote:

: Smells like Tiscali all over. They're so ****e that they want to make
: leaving them as difficult as possible.

Without maligning them further surely Tiscali use DATASTREAM? There is no
migration from DataStream to IPStream (so a MAC code would be meaningless!)

Not sure

When I enquired with UK Online about migrating from Pipex (BT IPStream)
to them (LLU) I was told I still need to obtain a MAC code from the former.

--
Mark
Please replace invalid and invalid with gmx and net to reply
Old May 4th 05, 03:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

See http://www.metronet.co.uk/regrade-trial.shtml