HELP Problem with connection dropping?

Old May 4th 05, 03:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry

Default HELP Problem with connection dropping?

This is a new installation and has done this from the start.
If I pick up the phone my BB connection dies.
I've tried all sorts but seem to be getting nowhere.
I finaly tried running the modem directly from the master socket with just a
splitter and a phone... same result.
Tried another splitter and another phone - same result.
My ISP seems less than interested in solving this one, and BT couldn't give
a flying-wassaname.
Does anyone here have any idea? or seen this before?

thanx in advance.
jim.

Old May 4th 05, 04:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 4 May 2005 14:25:56 +0100, "Harry"
wrote:

Does anyone here have any idea?

does it work reliably until you pick the phone up ?

try putting two microfilters in series ie plug a second one into the
phone port of the first and plug the ADSL modem into the ADSL port of
the first.

you didn't say if the phones and "splitters" (they are microfilters
and not just 2 to 1 converters ?) are the same type or what they are.
An ADSLnation XF-1e filter may help in some cases where the phone
generates interference.

The ISP should request a BT engineer visit if you don't have a stable
connection. You ask the ISP to do this, but make sure you are beyond
blame first.

If you can hold a reliable connection without the phone on the line it
does to point to the filter or the phone being dodgy. There may be
some types of line fault where picking up the phone causes a problem.

Do you have any line statistics from the modem ? also will it
reconnect if you restart it with the phone off hook.

Phil
Old May 4th 05, 07:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry

wrote:

Does anyone here have any idea?

does it work reliably until you pick the phone up ?

Hiya Phil. Thanks for the reply.
Here's an untidy mid-post to try and cover all the points -
Yep, when it's left alone it'll work ok, although It's dropping the line
occasionaly on its own (3 or 4 hrs)

try putting two microfilters in series ie plug a second one into the
phone port of the first and plug the ADSL modem into the ADSL port of
the first.

Tried this, even tried the phone on a long extension out of the end.. no
joy.

you didn't say if the phones and "splitters" (they are microfilters
and not just 2 to 1 converters ?) are the same type or what they are.

The phones are two known working 'wired' phones, nothing wireless about em
;-)
The splitters (filters) are a Y config - Excelsus Z Blocker DSL Filter Model
Z420UKP2J
and even though they're from China, they look the business.

An ADSLnation XF-1e filter may help in some cases where the phone
generates interference.

I'm thinking about getting another filter myself, if all else fails, just in
case it've two faulty ones here.
2 faulty filters seems a bit unlikely though.

The ISP should request a BT engineer visit if you don't have a stable
connection. You ask the ISP to do this, but make sure you are beyond
blame first.

I've tried everything I can think of, it appears a four year old should be
able to connect this thing up right.
(See if I can borrow one :-)

If you can hold a reliable connection without the phone on the line it
does to point to the filter or the phone being dodgy. There may be
some types of line fault where picking up the phone causes a problem.

I was also suspecting the modem, if it's only just managing to hold on to
the line, and that DOESN'T look the business.
More like something from Hong-Kong

Do you have any line statistics from the modem ? also will it
reconnect if you restart it with the phone off hook.

Nope no stats, and yes if 'her indoors' gets on the blower, it'll happily
reconnect usually for hours.

thx - Jim.

Old May 4th 05, 08:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 4 May 2005 18:59:38 +0100, "Harry"
wrote:

try putting two microfilters in series ie plug a second one into the
phone port of the first and plug the ADSL modem into the ADSL port of
the first.

Tried this, even tried the phone on a long extension out of the end.. no
joy.

does point to a line issue. Ask ISP for BT help.

you didn't say if the phones and "splitters" (they are microfilters
and not just 2 to 1 converters ?) are the same type or what they are.

The phones are two known working 'wired' phones, nothing wireless about em
;-)
The splitters (filters) are a Y config - Excelsus Z Blocker DSL Filter Model
Z420UKP2J
and even though they're from China, they look the business.

get a decent write-up at http://www.adslnation.com/support/filters.php
(check they look the same !)

If you can hold a reliable connection without the phone on the line it
does to point to the filter or the phone being dodgy. There may be
some types of line fault where picking up the phone causes a problem.

I was also suspecting the modem, if it's only just managing to hold on to
the line, and that DOESN'T look the business.
More like something from Hong-Kong

what is it ? you could get a BT Voyager 105 off Ebay for a tenner or
so. The BT Engineers use them and they have line stats.

Phil

Old May 4th 05, 09:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry

wrote:

The splitters (filters) are a Y config - Excelsus Z Blocker DSL Filter
Model
Z420UKP2J
and even though they're from China, they look the business.

get a decent write-up at http://www.adslnation.com/support/filters.php
(check they look the same !)

Not had the top off mine, these still look more like the pictures at
http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk/product.asp?pr=Z420UKP2J (-
Managed to talk to a 'second line' ISP operative this evening, he's shipping
two new filters out in the hope that both of these are duff...
then, if not, they're going to give BT a try.

If you can hold a reliable connection without the phone on the line it
does to point to the filter or the phone being dodgy. There may be
some types of line fault where picking up the phone causes a problem.

I was also suspecting the modem, if it's only just managing to hold on to
the line, and that DOESN'T look the business.
More like something from Hong-Kong

what is it ? you could get a BT Voyager 105 off Ebay for a tenner or
so. The BT Engineers use them and they have line stats.

It's a Sagem [email protected] 800 E2T whatever T.F that is.
There's a load of these on Ebay with 99p bids on em.
I was a bit worried about installing a better modem though,
I'm a bit of newbie to broadband, is it likely to be a simple driver install
and straight on to my ISP?

cheers - Jim.

Old May 5th 05, 12:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 4 May 2005 20:56:41 +0100, "Harry"
wrote:

It's a Sagem [email protected] 800 E2T whatever T.F that is.
There's a load of these on Ebay with 99p bids on em.
I was a bit worried about installing a better modem though,

they do line stats. Alt+D perhaps to get to the advanced menu ? Page
4-10 of http://www.sagem.com/support/site/li...8021413-03.pdf
which is for a Mac confirms it does them. Ctrl/F1 also worth a try to
get the extra menu. If you're stuck I can dig one out.

driver update perhaps ? check at
http://www.sagem.com/support/site/mo...hp?page=driver

I'm a bit of newbie to broadband, is it likely to be a simple driver install
and straight on to my ISP?

yes, install the thing and select it on your existing DUN connection.
Or use the shiny new connection it might make to input your ISP
details. No need to do it if you can get the stats from above though.

Phil

Old May 5th 05, 05:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry

wrote:

It's a Sagem [email protected] 800 E2T whatever T.F that is.
There's a load of these on Ebay with 99p bids on em.
I was a bit worried about installing a better modem though,

they do line stats. Alt+D perhaps to get to the advanced menu ? Page
4-10 of http://www.sagem.com/support/site/li...8021413-03.pdf
which is for a Mac confirms it does them. Ctrl/F1 also worth a try to
get the extra menu. If you're stuck I can dig one out.

driver update perhaps ? check at
http://www.sagem.com/support/site/mo...hp?page=driver

OK you've done some Googling here thanks.
The drivers on the ISPs CD are the same as on there, and the manual is
identical to the online one.
The line stats say - Line Rate - up 288Kbps, down 1152Kbps
I was thinking you meant some kind of fault log same as they have at the
other end (Duh!).
I've bought a ten quid internal modem from ebay, and with two filters in the
post already I think that only leaves the line.
If it was easy everyone would be doing it ;-)

cheers
jim.