FYI: My experience of UK Online and my migration from Wanadoo

Old May 4th 05, 05:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Morgan

Default FYI: My experience of UK Online and my migration from Wanadoo

Hello

For those who are interested....

I applied to migrate from Wanadoo, after getting my MAC code on the 19th
April, to join UK Online and their 8mb service.
My DL attenuation was 32dB and my SNR was 31, these were from a 512kb
connection to Wanadoo.

I got notice that my connection would start today, the 4th May, and that my
router would be sent out on the 28th April.

My World Pay connection fee of 50 came out as it was supposed to do but 10
days after you apply to join your first monthly payment is taken from your
account whether you are connected or not (29.99), which failed the first
time that World Pay tried to take it but then went through the second time.

Yesterday at around 10.00am my Wanadoo connection dropped, which never
happens, and my phone line went dead for about 5 minutes. When my phone
line came back I then tried to go online but failed to connect. I checked
my modem status to find that my Dlink 300T ethernet modem was reporting my
connection as being 8mb and no longer 512kb, however my login details were
set for Wanadoo, this was one day earlier than it was supposed to be.

A quick call to their tech support provided me with my login details BUT
there were a couple of settings that needed to change from Wanadoo to UK
Online, without them my modem would not connect...

Modulation had to change from MMODE to GDMT and the Encapsulation had to
change from LLC to VC.

My DL attenuation has now gone to 34dB and SNR to 9.

My connection is very stable with no errors or dropped lines.

My speeds have been very good from Newshosting with 6 connections it tends
to max out at around 820kb/sec, though it doesn't produce an absolute
'flatline' as my 60kb/sec 512kb connection did as there are more
fluctuations. Downloading 5GB took around 1hr 30mins.

Downloading from the net is dependent on many factors as to the speed that
I get. Using something like Getright which allows you to use more than one
connection at a time produces better results than a single connection.

I am still waiting for my router and have been assured, by email, that it
should have been dispatched yesterday, I am trying to get confirmation on
that but as my DLink 300T and DL-604 router are working fine I am not sure
if I will bother using it.

At least through their help I was able to connect yesterday, a day early -
which I have been told isn't too uncommon, and I have been able to get
access to my Wanadoo mail through Wanadoo's webmail page.

So, for me, it went pretty smooth and hopefully it will remain that way.

Good luck to those also making the change

--
Regards

Morgan

Hard Drive Noise....

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/morgan.tate/
Old May 4th 05, 05:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

Morgan wrote:
Hello

For those who are interested....

[snip]

Yes thanks for that

My World Pay connection fee of 50 came out as it was supposed to do but
10 days after you apply to join your first monthly payment is taken from
your account whether you are connected or not (29.99), which failed the
first time that World Pay tried to take it but then went through the
second time.

Can you not pay by Direct Debit, or is the C Card only needed for the
initial 'start up' fees ?

[snip]

A quick call to their tech support provided me with my login details BUT
there were a couple of settings that needed to change from Wanadoo to UK
Online, without them my modem would not connect...

Modulation had to change from MMODE to GDMT and the Encapsulation had to
change from LLC to VC.

Interesting, so the parameters are not the same as "BT Wholesale" ADSL ?

[snip]

At least through their help I was able to connect yesterday, a day early
- which I have been told isn't too uncommon, and I have been able to get
access to my Wanadoo mail through Wanadoo's webmail page.

I'd have thought you should still be able to *collect* your Wanadoo mail
with your mail client using POP3 ? (until Wanadoo close your account of
course)

--
Mark
Please replace invalid and invalid with gmx and net to reply
Old May 4th 05, 05:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rob_H

Morgan wrote:
Hello

For those who are interested....

I applied to migrate from Wanadoo, after getting my MAC code on the

19th
April, to join UK Online and their 8mb service.
My DL attenuation was 32dB and my SNR was 31, these were from a 512kb

connection to Wanadoo.

So, for me, it went pretty smooth and hopefully it will remain that

way.

Good luck to those also making the change

--
Regards

Morgan

Thanks for this info Morgan. I just signed up. I would have used your
ID but just didn't get there in time...

If anyone here wanted a month free check out the referral
scheme where both the referred and referee benefit. So on the popular
8Mb thats a free 30 pounds each...

details - www.ukonline.net/recommend/

Old May 4th 05, 05:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Morgan

Mark Carver wrote:
Morgan wrote:

Hello

For those who are interested....

[snip]

Yes thanks for that

My World Pay connection fee of 50 came out as it was supposed to do
but 10 days after you apply to join your first monthly payment is
taken from your account whether you are connected or not (29.99),
which failed the first time that World Pay tried to take it but then
went through the second time.

Can you not pay by Direct Debit, or is the C Card only needed for the
initial 'start up' fees ?

The direct debit mandate should have arrived with my router, along with my
login details etc etc etc, but I did ask customer services to send me one
out when the World Pay second payment had failed. This arrived and has now
been completed.

Interesting, so the parameters are not the same as "BT Wholesale" ADSL ?

They are certainly not the same as Wanadoo for sure. The tech support
person at UK Online was struggling a little as his knowledge was based
around the Actiontec router. Between us both we managed to establish a
connection though. Without those changes the connection would fail on each
attempt.

I'd have thought you should still be able to *collect* your Wanadoo mail
with your mail client using POP3 ? (until Wanadoo close your account of
course)

Not unless I was missing the obvious. The only way I could get our mail was
to use their web based mail access.

BTW: A quick request increased my 2mb of web space with UK Online to 7mb,
enough for me.

Old May 4th 05, 06:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 04 May 2005 16:30:16 +0100, Mark Carver
wrote:

Interesting, so the parameters are not the same as "BT Wholesale" ADSL ?

MMODE means negotiate the mode, G.dmt is what BT Wholesale use so
you're just presetting it, so no difference there.

"Encapsulation had to
change from LLC to VC."

my router running on BT is set to PPPoA VC-Mux

from the BT SIN I see both VC-Mux and LLC/SNAP are acceptable but that
LLC/SNAP has a higher overhead.

so the parameters are in reality the same or compatible.

Phil
Old May 4th 05, 07:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

Morgan wrote:
Mark Carver wrote:

I'd have thought you should still be able to *collect* your Wanadoo
mail with your mail client using POP3 ? (until Wanadoo close your
account of course)

Not unless I was missing the obvious. The only way I could get our mail
was to use their web based mail access.

That's interesting. I wonder if you are unable to collect mail from '3rd
party' POP3 suppliers such as Lycos, Yahoo, and Gmx, or if it's just a
Wanadoo thing ?

BTW: A quick request increased my 2mb of web space with UK Online to
7mb, enough for me.

2 Megs !? Their website says 100 Megs ?

http://www.ukonline.net/services/?doc=benefits

--
Mark
Old May 4th 05, 09:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

Mark Carver wrote:

: That's interesting. I wonder if you are unable to collect mail from '3rd
: party' POP3 suppliers such as Lycos, Yahoo, and Gmx, or if it's just a
: Wanadoo thing ?

It's certainly *nothing* that Wanadoo themselves have done! I can pick up
email from their pop server from all sorts of places (work, other ISPs etc.)
Old May 4th 05, 10:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Morgan

2 Megs !? Their website says 100 Megs ?

http://www.ukonline.net/services/?doc=benefits

From their FAQ........

Frequently Asked Questions

You are in: FAQs Webspace
How do I use the webspace I get with my account?

With your account you are automatically allocated 2MB of webspace on our
web.ukonline.co.uk UNIX server. Once the 2MB initial allocation has been
used you should complete a Web Extension Request Form (click here) to
request more.

I hadn't seen that other one that you provided a link for but I do know
that I had only 2mb at the start until I asked them to increase it to 7mb.

Old May 4th 05, 10:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Morgan

Thanks for this info Morgan. I just signed up. I would have used your
ID but just didn't get there in time...

If anyone here wanted a month free check out the referral
scheme where both the referred and referee benefit. So on the popular
8Mb thats a free 30 pounds each...

details - www.ukonline.net/recommend/

Never mind, but thanks anyway.

I hope that your migration goes as well as mine did

Old May 5th 05, 08:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

Morgan wrote:

2 Megs !? Their website says 100 Megs ?

http://www.ukonline.net/services/?doc=benefits

From their FAQ........

Frequently Asked Questions

You are in: FAQs Webspace
How do I use the webspace I get with my account?

With your account you are automatically allocated 2MB of webspace on our
web.ukonline.co.uk UNIX server. Once the 2MB initial allocation has been
used you should complete a Web Extension Request Form (click here) to
request more.

I hadn't seen that other one that you provided a link for but I do know
that I had only 2mb at the start until I asked them to increase it to 7mb.

Apparent inconsistencies like this, and the POP3 mail collection issue
mentioned elsewhere in this thread are what slightly concern me about them.

In fact I emailed them three days ago asking the simple question about
the CC Card/DD options and not had an answer to date.

Anyway keep us (or at least me !) posted with progress, I'm still giving
the 9:99/m deal (LLU only) for 512k serious consideration.

--
Mark