wireless connection problem

Old May 4th 05, 04:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Default wireless connection problem

Using BtYahoo 512 service, windows XP, fully patched, sygate firewall, AV
plus antispy.

For 8 months now my BTYahoo connection has been flawless using a speedtouch
530 router. I got fed up with wires so decided to go wireless last week.
I got a Dlink 604 router and a Belkin pcmcia card for the laptop. This is
encrypted using a wep key. Once or twice a day the connection is lost and
the properties of the wireless card start scanning for networks and fails to
find any. Rebooting the laptop finds the connection again no problem. When
the connection is working it is fine with a 100% signal.
Based on these facts I am fairly sure that the problem is not my broadband
connection but the wireless setup itself.

Not sure if it is required, but I have included below the stats from my
router. Also just noticed that the log of the router has the wrong date and
is showing as August even though the correct time is in the routers settings
and it is set to correct timezone, etc.

Sep 8 12:00:06 Valid Configuration Tree
Sep 8 12:00:11 Firewall NAT service started
Sep 8 12:00:11 starting on port 80
Aug 9 12:01:00 Bridge Created: br0
Aug 9 12:01:00 Bridge Interface Added: eth0
Aug 9 12:01:03 DSL Carrier is training
Aug 9 12:01:12 Bridge Interface Added: tiwlan0
Aug 9 12:01:13 DSL Carrier is up
Aug 9 12:01:14 pppd 2.4.1 started by root, uid 0
Aug 9 12:01:14 Connect: ppp0 {--}
Aug 9 12:01:18 WAN IP address 81.157.228.35
Aug 9 12:01:18 WAN gateway 217.47.72.122
Aug 9 12:01:18 primary DNS address 62.6.40.178
Aug 9 12:01:18 secondary DNS address 194.72.0.98
Aug 9 12:01:18 PPPoA Connect with IP Address 81.157.228.35
Aug 9 12:01:18 PPPoA Connection Successfully Established
Aug 9 12:01:18 PPPoA Connect with Gateway IP Address: 217.47.72.122
Aug 9 17:42:44 Bridge Interface Added: tiwlan0

Old May 4th 05, 05:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 4 May 2005 16:37:07 +0100, "Beck"
wrote:

Once or twice a day the connection is lost and
the properties of the wireless card start scanning for networks and fails to
find any. Rebooting the laptop finds the connection again no problem. When
the connection is working it is fine with a 100% signal.

not unusual for windows wireless clients, mine does that too but more
frequently. You might check how long the DHCP lease lasts (right mouse
wireless connection icon, select Status then support tab and details,
or use ipconfig /all from cmd prompt).

if lapses of the lease prompt the change then see if you can extend
the lease time in the DHCP server settings on the router. Also are
there any power management things to disable on the wireless card.

BTW posting your IP address here may increase inbound probes

Phil
Old May 4th 05, 05:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Phil Thompson" wrote in message

not unusual for windows wireless clients, mine does that too but more
frequently. You might check how long the DHCP lease lasts (right mouse
wireless connection icon, select Status then support tab and details,
or use ipconfig /all from cmd prompt).

Lease obtained 17.34pm
Lease Expires 18.34pm
This means nothing to me. Is it good or bad?

if lapses of the lease prompt the change then see if you can extend
the lease time in the DHCP server settings on the router. Also are
there any power management things to disable on the wireless card.

I shall check for those, thankyou. There does not seem to be a pattern to
the disconnects, its just random at any time. Once this afternoon, one last
night.

BTW posting your IP address here may increase inbound probes

Thanks for the warning, I do have Sygate firewall and the firewall in the
router. Sygate is not showing any bad activity. Its not like my ip address
cannot be gleaned from the headers anyway as that information is readily
available :-)

Old May 4th 05, 05:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 4 May 2005 17:27:01 +0100, "Beck"
wrote:

Lease obtained 17.34pm
Lease Expires 18.34pm
This means nothing to me. Is it good or bad?

it means every hour there will be a refresh of the IP address, this
might trigger the problem - see if it can be extended. My router at
home gives out addresses that expire in 2038 ! (that's in 2038, not at
20:38). This one in the office is set for 4 hours.

BTW posting your IP address here may increase inbound probes

Thanks for the warning, I do have Sygate firewall and the firewall in the
router. Sygate is not showing any bad activity. Its not like my ip address
cannot be gleaned from the headers anyway as that information is readily
available :-)

actually it isn't in the headers AFAICS

Phil
Old May 4th 05, 05:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

wrote:

Lease obtained 17.34pm
Lease Expires 18.34pm
This means nothing to me. Is it good or bad?

it means every hour there will be a refresh of the IP address, this
might trigger the problem - see if it can be extended. My router at
home gives out addresses that expire in 2038 ! (that's in 2038, not at
20:38). This one in the office is set for 4 hours.

Okay thankyou I shall see if I can change it. Would rather keep same
address for long if I can my previous router kept the same address for
months :-)

BTW posting your IP address here may increase inbound probes

Thanks for the warning, I do have Sygate firewall and the firewall in the
router. Sygate is not showing any bad activity. Its not like my ip
address
cannot be gleaned from the headers anyway as that information is readily
available :-)

actually it isn't in the headers AFAICS

Yes you are so right. Maybe thats because I switched to news.individual.net
perhaps they don't post that info. :-)

Old May 4th 05, 05:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

wrote:

Lease obtained 17.34pm
Lease Expires 18.34pm
This means nothing to me. Is it good or bad?

it means every hour there will be a refresh of the IP address, this
might trigger the problem - see if it can be extended. My router at
home gives out addresses that expire in 2038 ! (that's in 2038, not at
20:38). This one in the office is set for 4 hours.

Sorry to seem dense, but I do not know what I am looking for. Is there a
specific term for this that I can scan for in the manual?
Looking through the router admin, I cannot see anything which looks like is
a time setting for one hour.

Old May 4th 05, 05:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Tullett

On Wed, 04 May 2005 17:36:53 +0100, Phil Thompson wrote in

Thanks for the warning, I do have Sygate firewall and the firewall in the
router. Sygate is not showing any bad activity. Its not like my ip address
cannot be gleaned from the headers anyway as that information is readily
available :-)

actually it isn't in the headers AFAICS

That's true. Quite a few ISPs, as well as News.Individual.Net, now hide
(encrypt) the sending IP address within the X-Trace: line of the headers.

--
Mike Coleraine 55.13N 6.69W posted 04/05/2005 16:44:27 UTC
Old May 4th 05, 07:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 4 May 2005 17:42:17 +0100, "Beck"
wrote:

Sorry to seem dense, but I do not know what I am looking for.

DHCP Lease

http://support.dlink.com/emulators/d...ve/h_dhcp.html perhaps ??

Phil

Old May 4th 05, 07:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

wrote:

Sorry to seem dense, but I do not know what I am looking for.

DHCP Lease

http://support.dlink.com/emulators/d...ve/h_dhcp.html perhaps ??

haha thanks for that. I have the new firmware and I cannot select 1 week.
I have to put the number in seconds. lol.
*gets out calculator and works out seconds in 1 month* :-)

Old May 4th 05, 08:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 4 May 2005 19:54:01 +0100, "Beck"
wrote:

I have the new firmware

now there's a thought :-)

Phil