Broadband for student son?

Old May 4th 05, 09:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan Poulter

Default Broadband for student son?

My eldest has just signed a lease on his first student
flat and wants broadband. Is there a workable solution
that would enable me to control it remotely if I paid
for it?

Alan Poulter

Old May 4th 05, 09:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 4 May 2005 19:07:15 +0000 (UTC), Alan Poulter
wrote:

Is there a workable solution
that would enable me to control it remotely if I paid
for it?

define "control it remotely"

Phil

Old May 4th 05, 09:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eric Parker

"Alan Poulter" wrote in message
. 254.254...

My eldest has just signed a lease on his first student
flat and wants broadband. Is there a workable solution
that would enable me to control it remotely if I paid
for it?

Alan Poulter

Alan

Maybe you should define "control".

eric

--
Remove the dross to contact me directly

Old May 4th 05, 10:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 4 May 2005 19:07 UTC, Alan Poulter wrote:

My eldest has just signed a lease on his first student flat and
wants broadband. Is there a workable solution that would enable
me to control it remotely if I paid for it?

Not sure quite what type of control you would want over it - the
bulk of ISP services offer similar facilities, some more costly,
some more flexible, so it also depends what your son may expect.

I'd say all are 'workable' solutions when it comes to broadband,
but again, depends what you are *both* wanting from the service.

There are "capped" services which are probably rather restricted
but "usable", while there are others which are from 14.99/month.

--
Plus.Net http://tinyurl.com/5jpa4
I recommend them and save some cash.

Old May 5th 05, 04:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan Poulter

Alan Poulter wrote in
. 254.254:
My eldest has just signed a lease on his first student
flat and wants broadband. Is there a workable solution
that would enable me to control it remotely if I paid
for it?

By 'control it remotely' I am thinking of a router whose
control functions I could access remotely for things like
connection and security settings, adding/removing users,
checking logs etc. Since the flat is communal others might
wish to use the connection.

Alan Poulter

Old May 5th 05, 07:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

Alan Poulter wrote:
Alan Poulter wrote in
. 254.254:
My eldest has just signed a lease on his first student
flat and wants broadband. Is there a workable solution
that would enable me to control it remotely if I paid
for it?

By 'control it remotely' I am thinking of a router whose
control functions I could access remotely for things like
connection and security settings, adding/removing users,
checking logs etc. Since the flat is communal others might
wish to use the connection.

Alan Poulter

You can access a router or any other device remotely if you know the IP
address, however you'd need to make it accessible through any firewall,
which you might not want to do. Also dynamic IP addresses can be
problematic in this respect g

Ivor

Old May 5th 05, 11:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 5 May 2005 18:17, "Ivor Jones" wrote:

You can access a router or any other device remotely if you know the IP
address, however you'd need to make it accessible through any firewall,
which you might not want to do.

Clearly he would be willing to make that reachable, and the routers I've
seen allow for a specific IP to be allowed access (so assuming his own is
fixed, it would be one which had control access, as well as ones on the
LAN). Unless there's really strong reason for r/c, I'd leave it to the
son, who is going to be (a) physically nearby, and (b) undermined if he
isn't in a position to check/test it.

Cannot see the need for some 'remote control' unless the people using the
kit are unwilling or unable to cope with a few menus and /really/ need /
want assistance (the way a few of my clients do... not saying any are
unable to do it, they'd just prefer not to have to concern themselves
about the minutiae). Peter M.

Old May 6th 05, 10:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave P

I use a Belkin which has this feature. Its set-up can be accessed remotedly
over the web.

Details here,

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware...f5d7630-4a.asp

I've used this wifi router for a while now and am very pleased with it.

Dave