ADSL 2

Old May 5th 05, 12:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Anorak

Default ADSL 2

When will this be available anywhere in the UK at the proposed speeds of
18 - 24Mbits ?

Old May 5th 05, 12:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Anorak" wrote in message
When will this be available anywhere in the UK at the proposed speeds of
18 - 24Mbits ?

Later this year.. probably around autumn.

Several companies including BT Wholesale, Bulldog and Easynet are currently
carrying out technical trials.

Regards
Sunil

Old May 5th 05, 09:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message

"Anorak" wrote in message
When will this be available anywhere in the UK at the proposed speeds of
18 - 24Mbits ?

Later this year.. probably around autumn.

What does ADSL2 mean for people with long lines (like me, 63dB attenuation)?
Will I get faster speeds or is it only for those that like close to the
exchange?

Old May 5th 05, 10:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Dave" wrote in message

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message

"Anorak" wrote in message
When will this be available anywhere in the UK at the proposed speeds
of
18 - 24Mbits ?

Later this year.. probably around autumn.

What does ADSL2 mean for people with long lines (like me, 63dB
attenuation)?
Will I get faster speeds or is it only for those that like close to the
exchange?

I may be wrong, but I think ADSL2 works faster over longer lines. I saw an
article last year which stated up to 20Mbits over a line in excess of 10km.

Old May 5th 05, 03:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"Dan" d.d.com wrote in message
I may be wrong, but I think ADSL2 works faster over longer lines. I saw

an
article last year which stated up to 20Mbits over a line in excess of

10km.

I believe you are wrong. ADSL2+ offers minimal advantages over longer

lines
than the current adsl spec. Faster speed are available up to 3km I think
then the speeds are similar to ADSL.

http://www.dslreports.com/r0/downloa...3cd0/ADSL2.PNG

Hmmm, fat lot of use that will be to me then. ;-(

It's about time BT starting pulling fibre out to street cabs and installing
local DSLAMs. Yes I know it'll cost a fortune.

Dan

Old May 6th 05, 12:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dan

They are trialling FTTP (fibre to the premises) in certain parts of the
country but they'll milk ADSL technologies for all they are worth before
even considering a wide spread rollout of fibre.

Fibre to the street cabinet would be much cheaper than fibre to the premises
but that has a shelf life aswell. Fibre to the premises nearly has infinite
scalability where fibre to the street cabinet, would impose limits on the
maximum bandwidth possible has copper is still involved.

ADSL converage is very good in England but I'm predicting in the next 5
years they'll be huge variations in speeds towns/rural areas get compared to
cities.

The cities will has uber fast broadband, where the rest will have normal
broadband which will feel like dial-up in comparison.

Maybe Wimax is the answer?

Dan

Old May 6th 05, 12:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Dan" d.d.com wrote in message
I may be wrong, but I think ADSL2 works faster over longer lines. I saw an
article last year which stated up to 20Mbits over a line in excess of 10km.

I believe you are wrong. ADSL2+ offers minimal advantages over longer
lines than the current adsl spec. Faster speed are available up to 3km I
think then the speeds are similar to ADSL.

http://www.dslreports.com/r0/downloa...3cd0/ADSL2.PNG

Thanks for the graph, interesting to see some figures.

Old May 6th 05, 04:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Oliver Gunnell" wrote in message
.. .
Is there any rumors on the upload speed?

Upload speeds will be increasing when BT Wholesale launch their faster than
2MB services ("upto 8MB") - thats expectsed to happen later this year.. its
not necessary to wait for ADSL2+ for that.

Regards
Sunil

Old May 7th 05, 03:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Brian Abbott" wrote in message
.. .
Any idea what upload sppeds we can expect?

For the standard ADSL services (upto 8MB) that BT is trialling they are
using RADSL for the upload speed - so it will depend on your line.

However:

For the "home"/50:1 services, BT Wholesale are using speeds between 64 and
448 kbits/s (ATM Cell Rate including headers)
For the "office"/20:1 services, BT Wholesale are using speeds between 64 and
832 kbits/s (ATM Cell Rate including headers)

Regards
Sunil