Virgin Broadband Overpriced

Old May 5th 05, 10:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Virgin Broadband Overpriced

Why haven't they dropped their 24.99 unlimited 512k broadband price? Is it
just me or is it beginning to look really expensive now.

Old May 5th 05, 11:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil

wrote in :

Why haven't they dropped their 24.99 unlimited 512k broadband price?
Is it just me or is it beginning to look really expensive now.

As far as I know, they don't charge activation fee or tie to a 12 month
contract. They've got to get their money back somehow.

--
Phil
http://www.philipchung.co.uk/
Old May 5th 05, 11:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

wrote in message ...
Why haven't they dropped their 24.99 unlimited 512k broadband price? Is

it
just me or is it beginning to look really expensive now.

What you have to look at is the TCO for 12 months then 24 months to see if
they are or are not expensive.

Old May 5th 05, 02:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On Thu, 5 May 2005 09:50:33 +0100, wrote:

Why haven't they dropped their 24.99 unlimited 512k broadband price?
Is it just me or is it beginning to look really expensive now.

You could ask similar questions about a few ISPs now there's a growth in a
user getting 2000 kbps if the line to the exchange will support it... But
of course some will offer a service at 15-18 quid and have a 1-3 GB quota!

See www.broadbandchecker.co.uk and you may get results like these:

AOL 24.99 for 1000 kbps
29.99 for 2000 kbps

BT Broadband 17.99 for 1000 kbps ( 1 GB cap)
24.99 for 2000 kbps (15 GB cap)

BT Yahoo 26.99 for 2000 kbps (15 GB cap)
29.99 for 2000 kbps (30 GB cap)

Tiscali 15.99 for 1000 kbps ( 3 GB cap)
19.99 for 2000 kbps (20 GB cap)

Wanadoo 17.99 for 1000 kbps ( 2 GB cap)
22.99 for 1000 ( 6 GB cap)
27.99 for 1000 (30 GB)

EFHbroadband has a generous cap, as does freedom2surf.net (50 GB for
about 25 quid from memory)...

At the lower price, Plus.Net Broadband Plus has no cap and is 14.99
while for heavier users (peer-to-peer, newsgroup binaries) 21.99 is
the regular fee, which undercuts most (or all?) of the popular ISPs,
and will be fine for regular (sub 50 GB/mth) users, without needing
to watch what they download to stay within limits. Peter M.

--
Plus.Net http://tinyurl.com/5jpa4
I recommend them and save some cash.

Old May 5th 05, 02:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

Peter M wrote:

: At the lower price, Plus.Net Broadband Plus has no cap and is 14.99
: while for heavier users (peer-to-peer, newsgroup binaries) 21.99 is
: the regular fee, which undercuts most (or all?) of the popular ISPs,
: and will be fine for regular (sub 50 GB/mth) users, without needing
: to watch what they download to stay within limits. Peter M.

I *WAS* considering moving my home ISP to PlusNet but now, like a lot of
people, will not even consider it! They keep changing their mind on the
"rules" each month and no-one knows what is coming next!
Old May 5th 05, 03:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Thu, 05 May 2005 13:08:02 +0100, Peter M
wrote:

Plus.Net Broadband Plus has no cap and is 14.99

it does have throttling of some traffic though, and their weasel said
"Based on a 50:1 PlusNet network contention"

now we know they have other products that say 30:1 contention on the
Plusnet network, so this is presumably a more congested product (using
contention rather than caps to manage user demand).

As BT's exchange to ISP network runs in practice at about 15:1 I
assume I should compare the above contention rates with Zen's "We
guarantee NO CONTENTION on our network." (I take NO to mean 1:1 or
less).

So with Zen the BT exchange to Zen link will be the limit, but with
Plusnet there will be a greater degree of contention at the ISP end
and hence I can expect to see maybe half or 1/3rd the speed at times??

Discuss :-)

Phil
Old May 5th 05, 04:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 05 May 2005 14:14, Phil Thompson wrote:

now we know they have other products that say 30:1 contention on the
Plusnet network, so this is presumably a more congested product (using
contention rather than caps to manage user demand).

The contention may affect the heavier binary users, wanting tens of GB a
month, and Plus.Net have not been hiding it being unsuitable for them.

So with Zen the BT exchange to Zen link will be the limit, but with
Plusnet there will be a greater degree of contention at the ISP end
and hence I can expect to see maybe half or 1/3rd the speed at times??

I doubt it, but it will be quite interesting to see how things change over
the next 6 months, as more customers get 2000 kbps connections. Certainly
I will be keeping my eye on both Premier and Plus accounts (I expect to be
using a Plus account by then, handy for my needs, and cheap too). Peter.

Old May 5th 05, 05:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Thu, 05 May 2005 15:49:54 +0100, Peter M
wrote:

The contention may affect the heavier binary users, wanting tens of GB a
month, and Plus.Net have not been hiding it being unsuitable for them.

that's the traffic shaping though isn't it, the contention hits
everybody on that type of account.

Phil

Old May 5th 05, 06:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 05 May 2005 16:59, Phil Thompson wrote:

that's the traffic shaping though isn't it, the contention hits
everybody on that type of account.

Well the traffic shaping might mean 0 kbps until after midnight.
Even plus.Net staff indicated that 50:1 would "not be usable" so
they do have their heads screwed on and if someone is just grabbing
web pages and e-mail then the contention should still be a limited
issue, if at all. Streaming/heavy downloading would be affected.
Let's just wait and see.

I am sure that it will get modifications if they are needed, once
it has had sufficient numbers of customers to make a difference.