ISP broadband via BT phoneline

Old May 5th 05, 01:32 PM posted to alt.internet.providers.uk,uk.net.providers,uk.telecom.broadband
Peter

Default ISP broadband via BT phoneline

On 5 May 2005, in a.i.p.u, "Gordon Hudson" wrote:

Anyone know what ISP's are doing unlimited bandwidth broadband?

I think Zen still has that option, and will be lowering prices in June,
as 2000 kbps is about 45 quid at present...

Depends on the types of traffic you plan for :- Plus.Net has two accounts
with no limit, but currently push peer-to-peer and USENET to low priority
on their Broadband Plus account, and will put peer-to-peer at some lower
priority level on their Premier account in the (near) future - they may
act against a heavy user who treats a connection like a 5:1 or 'better'
(ie to 1:1) contention service, including "assisted migration" !

Demon has no apparent limits on its 30/month account (1000 kbps)

Easynet/UK Online offers up to 500 GB/month on their 29.99 8000 kbps a/c

Freedom2surf.net has a 50 GB/month account offering 2000 kbps for 25.00

EFH (http://www.efhbroadband.com/) 2000 kbps is 32.99/month

and [spit!] AOL has 2000 kbps at 29.99/month - probably OK for access
but not one I'd both mentioning, most of the time...

So, what are you after (speed, home/business, traffic) (and you may find
uk.telecom.broadband a better place for BB knowledge :-) Peter M.

[ cross-posted to uk.net.providers,uk.telecom.broadband + FU set ]

--
Plus.Net http://tinyurl.com/5jpa4
I recommend them and save some cash.

Old May 5th 05, 07:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Hudson

"Peter" wrote in message
s.net...
[...]

Just general interest as people ask me.
My bandwidth usage is tiny.
Its only email and web browsing so I could survive on a much smaller
account.
The only time i use more its upload when I am sending people photos
or uiploading them to a processing company.

AOL is a bad idea if the routing is still as bad as it used to be, but i do
know someone who runs a
business from an AOL account and finds it very reliable.

--
Gordon Hudson || Hostroute.com Ltd
e-mail:ghudson [at] hostroute.net

Old May 5th 05, 07:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Puzzled

"Peter" wrote in message
s.net...
[...]

Hi Peter,
First a genuine deep thank you for your effort in replying with excellent
infomation. May I further trouble you to explain "migrate if unhappy"?
I checked the website and it wasn't clear what this meant?
An example I thought of is my original "btinternet.com" email accounts-
when I change ISP's, I was going to use a pay-per-min bt dial-up to load
my emails into outlook express. In the Plusnet help it only briefly details
"migrate" to and from etc. Does it allow that with Plusnet BB, I can still
access my bt email accounts via OE (or any email client)?
Many Thanx in advance.

Old May 5th 05, 11:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On Thu, 5 May 2005 18:01, "Gordon Hudson" wrote:

Just general interest as people ask me.
My bandwidth usage is tiny.
Its only email and web browsing so I could survive on a much smaller
account.
The only time i use more its upload when I am sending people photos
or uiploading them to a processing company.

There's always the Metronet account from a tenner (+VAT) which offers
a few hundred MB and then has a per MB fee (of 0.25p). Their 2000
kbps account starts at 15.96 (+VAT) and includes 3 GB a month

AOL is a bad idea if the routing is still as bad as it used to be

Some people, wanting to use Sipgate, were not given the option of a
UK geographic number as they were deemed 'outside the UK'. May be
an advantage for some US sites which currently block non-US IPs
from getting content (films/TV sites with clips of new series).

Old May 6th 05, 09:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On Thu, 5 May 2005 17:57:18 +0000 (UTC), "Puzzled"
wrote:

First a genuine deep thank you for your effort in replying with excellent
infomation. May I further trouble you to explain "migrate if unhappy"?
I checked the website and it wasn't clear what this meant?

From my reading (not having needed to use the Guarantee) the idea is that
if one decides in the first 45 days that the Plus.Net service is "not for
you", then Plus.Net would assist you in getting your ADSL service from some
other ISP, and be willing to pay a fee the lower of 12.99 and the fee that
new ISP charges. It seems a bit rich that Plus.Net itself has a fee (if
one leaves within the first year) of 14.99 for migrating to them (and I
have yet to see any response concerning whether they would still charge
that, while paying any migration fee charged by the next ISP. Anyway,
I hope you get the picture!

I can still access my bt email accounts via OE (or any email client)?

In the main (*) you can still retrieve e-mail from other services when you
switch ISP, but there are often restrictions on how long such mailboxes are
maintained, unless you comply with various terms set by the old ISP. There
are terms like dialling in within 90 days for some ISPs. You will not be
able to send mail using your old service, and need to change settings to
make use of the new ISP's mail servers.

(*) FreeNetName and possibly some others have previously set conditions on
users so you had to dial into their own service and could not collect mail
via any other service. Such services are to be avoided, if possible!

If you have some old ISP mailboxes, I would suggest using 'mail rules' to
file any received mail in some specific folder, and be sure to contact any
sender to tell them your mail address has changed. However, on a long-term
view, why not get your own domain name (it will cost you under a tenner for
a couple of years) so you can always have [email protected] whichever ISP
you use next month, next year, next decade ! Even using this method, you
may wish to have ways to send mail independent of your ISP, and while a
domain may get you "inbound" mail easily, various services would still
block outbound (and if their server is slapped with a spamming report,
your mail could be bounced anyway). I have used several dedicated mail
services... a reserve address which allows POP/SMTP service at no cost is
available using yahoo.co.uk (not .com) and that may be useful from some
laptop or similar, if you sometimes dial different 0845 numbers when
away from home, but don't want to mess with settings to 'make it work'.

A tiny number of ISPs block port 25 (or rather, trap it, so mail goes
out on their own servers) but there are services offering other ports so
even those ISP blocks can be avoided, if need be. Claranet offers a mail
and news account for a tenner a year and allows mail on port 2525 as well
as port 25 (ideal if one had a restrictive or faulty ISP mail service).

30 day free trial... http://web.vfm-deals.com/runbox/
Old May 6th 05, 07:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Puzzled

Peter, you are a STAR
Many many thanks.

s.net...
wrote:

First a genuine deep thank you for your effort in replying with excellent
infomation. May I further trouble you to explain "migrate if unhappy"?
I checked the website and it wasn't clear what this meant?

From my reading (not having needed to use the Guarantee) the idea is that

Old May 6th 05, 08:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 6 May 2005 17:54 UTC, "Puzzled" wrote:

Many many thanks.

You are very welcome, glad to share info. Please do me a favour and post
your comments after those you quote (and if necessary, trim large chunks,
perhaps with a note like SNIP).

I generally ignore comments from those who (a) top-post, (b) quote whole
posts, or (c) do both, or (d) quote a whole lengthy post and add a line
or two at the end, when the absence of any trimming suggests they are
just being plain lazy. (Not intended as a sermon, but many people do
appreciate sensible posting methods). Peter M.