Sagem [email protected] 800 - ADSL LED on with no BTlead!

Old May 5th 05, 06:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

Default Sagem [email protected] 800 - ADSL LED on with no BTlead!

On Thu, 05 May 2005 15:32:19 +0100, Nigel M
wrote:

Having powered it up (without drivers, I've got a "power only" USB lead)
the ADSL LED came on, without any connection to the BT socket.

Is this normal for this model? If so, it's not a lot of use, can anyone
suggest another way of detecting if a line is active?

RTFM at http://www.sagem.com/support/site/li...8021413-03.pdf

extract below

you could use a normal USB lead, install the drivers and see if it
reports a connection ?

"A.1.2 "ADSL" and "PWR" LEDs off
! Check that the USB cable is connected correctly to your computer (or
to a HUB).
! Check that the drivers are correctly installed (refer to the modem
status in Windows. (see
section 3.3) or in Mac (see section 4.3)).
Note: If your computer is connected to a HUB, disconnect all connected
devices to
isolate your modem.
If no further clue emerges enabling you to solve the problem:
! Reinstall the modem in Windows. (see section 3.1) or in Mac (see
section 4.1).

A.1.3 "ADSL" LED off and "PWR" LED on
! Check that the line cable is connected correctly to your modem and
to the telephone line.
! Check with your Internet Access Provider (IAP) that the ADSL service
is definitely enabled
on your telephone line.

A.1.4 "ADSL" LED on steady and "PWR" LED on
The modem is synchronized but the PPP link with your Internet Access
Provider (IAP) is not set
up. Check:
- that the PPP "user name" and "password" are those given to you by
your Internet Access
Provider (IAP).
- that the VPI/VCI parameters and encapsulation mode are similar to
those of your Internet
Access Provider (IAP) (see Appendix D - default configuration). If
not, contact your Internet
Access Provider (IAP)."

Phil

Old May 5th 05, 07:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Thu, 05 May 2005 17:52:44 +0100, Nigel M
wrote:

but none of the answers suggested why the LED should be on
when it shouldn't be!

I guess the manual assumes you have loaded the drivers and connected
it to a PC, USB modems only have half a brain and use the PC to do the
rest of the work - no driver = no ability to sense ADSL on the line ?

Just tried one - plug it into PC and both LEDs come on, plug into ADSL
enabled line (no drivers installed) and it stays the same.

The Fujitsu FDX-310 is equally small and nifty, you could RTFM to see
what its LEDs are supposed to do. I can try one later if you like. But
without the PC I wouldn't hold my breath.

Phil

Old May 5th 05, 07:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Underwood

"Nigel M" wrote in message
In uk.telecom.broadband, Phil Thompson wrote:

Having powered it up (without drivers, I've got a "power only" USB lead)
the ADSL LED came on, without any connection to the BT socket.

Is this normal for this model? If so, it's not a lot of use, can anyone
suggest another way of detecting if a line is active?

RTFM at http://www.sagem.com/support/site/li...8021413-03.pdf

I did RTFM, but none of the answers suggested why the LED should be on
when it shouldn't be! No other modem I've tried does this. I wanted to
use the Sagem because it is very small, and fits in my toolbox.

Exactly: if you have to RTFM then the DSL LED is behaving differntly to the
one on all/most other modems and routers: it only lights when the device is
connected to a phone line that has DSL enabled on it. What's the point of
having a DSL LED if it doesn't actually report the presence/absence of DSL
carrier, even if there *is* some reference in the manufacturer's info to its
behaviour?

I'd say that what you are trying to use your modem for makes absolute sense,
but sadly you've stumbled on a device that doesn't play the game properly
:-(

Old May 5th 05, 09:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Thu, 05 May 2005 18:15:57 +0100, Nigel M
wrote:

This could be the case. Rats, spent all morning making a "power only"
USB lead (the plugs are buggers to get apart).

a BT Voyager 105 puts on its power light but no ADSL light when
plugged in without drivers.

A Fujitsu FDX310 did nothing visible at all without drivers.

Not looking good, sorry :-(

Phil