Wanadoo download limits, how flexible?

Old May 5th 05, 06:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Cummings

Default Wanadoo download limits, how flexible?

I have just moved from dialup to Wanadoo Broadband with a 2Gb limit. I
have heard that they are fairly flexible if the limit is exceeded. Is
this just a rumour or is there a problem if I get carried away and go
past the 2Gb figure? I would be grateful for any comments on this one.

Chris Cummings
--
Chris Cummings
Old May 5th 05, 07:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Thu, 5 May 2005 17:55:43 +0100, Chris Cummings

have heard that they are fairly flexible if the limit is exceeded. Is
this just a rumour or is there a problem if I get carried away and go
past the 2Gb figure?

they say "You may use your Broadband connection freely up to these
usage allowances. Your service will not be affected should you exceed
your monthly allowance. However, we may contact you and request that
you either reduce your usage or upgrade to the next usage band. If you
continually exceed your monthly allowance your service could be
suspended."

the next package up is a fiver more and has 6 GB.

Phil

Old May 5th 05, 08:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

Chris Cummings wrote:

: I have just moved from dialup to Wanadoo Broadband with a 2Gb limit. I
: have heard that they are fairly flexible if the limit is exceeded. Is
: this just a rumour or is there a problem if I get carried away and go
: past the 2Gb figure? I would be grateful for any comments on this one.

As they have not, of yet, implemented any tools where users can even monitor
their use during the month then, yes, they have to be pretty flexible!!!
(If fact most people who signed up to anything more than the 17.99 package
may have, so far, been rather unwise!). Some extreme users have got emails
recently though.

I guess that when monitoring and user inquiry tools are in place things
might change.
Old May 5th 05, 08:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Morgan

Chris Cummings wrote:
I have just moved from dialup to Wanadoo Broadband with a 2Gb limit. I
have heard that they are fairly flexible if the limit is exceeded. Is
this just a rumour or is there a problem if I get carried away and go
past the 2Gb figure? I would be grateful for any comments on this one.

Chris Cummings

Unless I'm missing something here wouldn't it have been best to find that
out before you signed up with them, if that was a concern of yours...?

Check out their broadband newsgroup you will find that there are many
people who have had letters from Wanadoo when they have gone over their
usage limits warning them, sometimes going over by a small amount as well.

Many of us 'veterans' who were on a uncapped service from Wanadoo received
warning letters also from them, I didn't but I have still left. I was told
by their customer support that their imposed caps were going to be
approached in a 'softly softly' manner however it seems that they have
decided to be a little more draconian with some people and their usage.
We all got emails on the 1st of April warning us of the introduction of
caps that would start from the 1st of May. Within a few days of that email
people were receiving their warning letters of their three months average
excessive usage, even though the T&C's were not to come into effect until
May 1st..!!!

They do not, as yet, have any means for you to check your usage through
their members centre so make sure that you monitor it very carefully though
the likes of DU Meter, or equivalent.

If UK Online isn't available in your area I could understand not going with
them but they do a fully uncapped 512kb service for 9.99 per month, if
your exchange is LLU enabled.

--
Regards

Morgan

Hard Drive Noise....

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/morgan.tate/
Old May 5th 05, 08:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

Morgan wrote:

: Check out their broadband newsgroup you will find that there are many
: people who have had letters from Wanadoo when they have gone over their
: usage limits warning them, sometimes going over by a small amount as well.

Definitely *NOT* at all the impression I have got!
Old May 5th 05, 09:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Morgan

Brian McIlwrath wrote:
Morgan wrote:

: Check out their broadband newsgroup you will find that there are many
: people who have had letters from Wanadoo when they have gone over their
: usage limits warning them, sometimes going over by a small amount as well.

Definitely *NOT* at all the impression I have got!

There was one person posting about receiving his letter after using 33GB on
his 30GB account. Another claimed receiving a letter for using 23GB on a
supposedly uncapped account, like the account that I had. Before that there
was an assumption that Wanadoo were imposing around a 30GB cap on the so
called uncapped accounts in line with their fair usage policy. But that was
guess work as I was told, like others, that our uncapped accounts would
remain uncapped.

You can check out their forum on ADSLguide their are similar stories there
about people getting their letters.

I can't recall anyone with a 2GB account getting a letter about going
'just' over 2GB as I have now left and no longer get to read that newsgroup.

Old May 5th 05, 10:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
**`..DKtr vh`..`-|

Hello,

My letter from Wanadoo states that they have monitored my last 3 months
downloads and I average 54Gb per month, which is absolute nonsense, i use
Netmeter and its below 30Gb each month, last months was below 20Gb, dont
make sense at all, i have been a loyal customer of theirs since day 1 and
now they reckon they will chuck my account if i do it again, im on the look
out for a new provider

regards

mike

You wrote on Thu, 05 May 2005 20:04:55 +0100:

M Brian McIlwrath wrote:
?? Morgan wrote:
??
?? : Check out their broadband newsgroup you will find that there are
?? many : people who have had letters from Wanadoo when they have gone
?? over their : usage limits warning them, sometimes going over by a
?? small amount as well.
??
?? Definitely *NOT* at all the impression I have got!

M There was one person posting about receiving his letter after using 33GB
M on his 30GB account. Another claimed receiving a letter for using 23GB
M on a supposedly uncapped account, like the account that I had. Before
M that there was an assumption that Wanadoo were imposing around a 30GB
M cap on the so called uncapped accounts in line with their fair usage
M policy. But that was guess work as I was told, like others, that our
M uncapped accounts would remain uncapped.

M You can check out their forum on ADSLguide their are similar stories
M there about people getting their letters.

M I can't recall anyone with a 2GB account getting a letter about going
M 'just' over 2GB as I have now left and no longer get to read that
M newsgroup.

With best regards, **`..DKtr vh`..`-|. E-mail:

Old May 5th 05, 11:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

**`..DKtr vh`..`-| wrote:
Hello,

My letter from Wanadoo states that they have monitored my last 3
months downloads and I average 54Gb per month, which is absolute
nonsense, i use Netmeter and its below 30Gb each month, last months
was below 20Gb, dont make sense at all, i have been a loyal customer
of theirs since day 1 and now they reckon they will chuck my account
if i do it again, im on the look out for a new provider

I would suggest that they are measuring both your uploads & downloads &
combining the figures

Old May 5th 05, 11:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
**`..DKtr vh`..`-|

Hello, kraftee!

the figures i measured are both combined figures fella, i was away last
month for nearly 10 days!!

You wrote on Thu, 5 May 2005 22:26:29 +0100:

k **`..DKtr vh`..`-| wrote:
?? Hello,
??

Old May 6th 05, 07:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

**`..DKtr vh`..`-| wrote:
Hello, kraftee!

the figures i measured are both combined figures fella, i was away
last month for nearly 10 days!!

You'd be suprised how much you can rack up just leaving your router on if
your IP is popular, I found that one out a few months ago...