A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) (uk.telecom.broadband) Discussion of broadband services, technology and equipment as provided in the UK. Discussions of specific services based on ADSL, cable modems or other broadband technology are also on-topic. Advertising is not allowed.

Telephones tinkle 15mins after using ADSL



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old May 5th 05, 11:14 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
pzboyz
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 28
Default Telephones tinkle 15mins after using ADSL

Subject says it all, have had ADSL for a few weeks now.

At somewhat random times during the day, and the night, out telephones
lines now tinkle. My observations though, seems to suggest it is very
likely to happen 15 minutes after I stop using my laptop to access the
internet by ADSL. My ADSL router/modem is a Netgear DG834G.

Any thoughts about case or how to remedy?

regards,
pzboyz
  #2  
Old May 6th 05, 01:08 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
cw
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 323
Default Telephones tinkle 15mins after using ADSL

Does your router have an idle timeout which is dropping the line after 15
minutes? If so it could be that your filter isn't doing its job properly
and voltage changes are spilling over onto the voice line.


--
Colin
*Drop DEAD from the email address to reply*
  #3  
Old May 6th 05, 12:46 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
pzboyz
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2
Default Telephones tinkle 15mins after using ADSL


cw wrote:
Does your router have an idle timeout which is dropping the line

after 15
minutes? If so it could be that your filter isn't doing its job

properly
and voltage changes are spilling over onto the voice line.


No, the router is configured to always stay connected. A good thought
though.

pzboyz

  #4  
Old May 6th 05, 03:52 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Vic
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10
Default Telephones tinkle 15mins after using ADSL

"pzboyz" wrote in message oups.com...

cw wrote:
Does your router have an idle timeout which is dropping the line

after 15
minutes? If so it could be that your filter isn't doing its job

properly
and voltage changes are spilling over onto the voice line.


No, the router is configured to always stay connected. A good thought
though.



If your router is always connected, then the 15 minute time seems curious - maybe just a coincidence.

As the other poster suggests, changing the filter may be the first, and easiest, thing to try. Are all your phones running from the
one filter or do they have a separate one for each phone ?

Do you have the latest firmware from Netgear ? I have the DG834G and find that the Beta version 2.10.17 is much more stable than the
previous one. Mine's now been connected without a hitch for over 30 days. It's at
http://kbserver.netgear.com/release_notes/D102685.asp

Hope this helps.


  #5  
Old May 6th 05, 03:59 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Jim
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10
Default Telephones tinkle 15mins after using ADSL

pzboyz wrote:
Subject says it all, have had ADSL for a few weeks now.

At somewhat random times during the day, and the night, out telephones
lines now tinkle. My observations though, seems to suggest it is very
likely to happen 15 minutes after I stop using my laptop to access the
internet by ADSL. My ADSL router/modem is a Netgear DG834G.

Any thoughts about case or how to remedy?


This is commonly caused by the line tests run by BT exchanges once a
day, usually at night. I only became aware of it after getting ADSL, so
maybe it is turned on when the service is provisioned. It may be
possible to get it turned off.

It's possible the test is delayed if the ADSL connection is up (or active).
  #6  
Old May 6th 05, 11:01 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
pzboyz
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 28
Default Telephones tinkle 15mins after using ADSL

Vic wrote:


If your router is always connected, then the 15 minute time seems curious - maybe just a coincidence.

As the other poster suggests, changing the filter may be the first, and easiest, thing to try. Are all your phones running from the
one filter or do they have a separate one for each phone ?


Yes they are off one filter, it is the BT faceplate adaptor from
clarity.it, so difficult to test standalone.

Do you have the latest firmware from Netgear ? I have the DG834G and find that the Beta version 2.10.17 ....


Yep sure do. I read up lots before buying the 834 and installed the
latest firmware soon after setting it up.

Hmm, Still thinking on this one.

regards,
pzboyz.
  #7  
Old May 6th 05, 11:05 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
pzboyz
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 28
Default Telephones tinkle 15mins after using ADSL

Jim wrote:

This is commonly caused by the line tests run by BT exchanges once a
day, usually at night. I only became aware of it after getting ADSL, so
maybe it is turned on when the service is provisioned. It may be
possible to get it turned off.

It's possible the test is delayed if the ADSL connection is up (or active).


Oh Yes well aware of this factor when I had ISDN installed, all of a
sudden my phones had a similar problem till I insisted they change the
ISDN box in my home .. then the problem went away. Also this is
happening many times per day.

Well now I have this problem again.

Something I just noticed after talking on the phone for 30mins, when I
put the phone down, I got the same tinkling noise. The ADSL had been
inactive for hours before this (the odd DOS attack excepting) as I had
been at work.

So, both ADSL and PSTN activity seem to be able to cause the phone to
tinkle.

pzboyz
  #8  
Old May 7th 05, 12:08 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
cw
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 323
Default Telephones tinkle 15mins after using ADSL

pzboyz wrote in news:427bdc09$0$93742
:

So, both ADSL and PSTN activity seem to be able to cause the phone to
tinkle.


I can't help you much with the problem, but everytime you say tingle I
get an image of a phone taking a slash..

--
Colin
*Drop DEAD from the email address to reply*
  #9  
Old May 7th 05, 04:00 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,069
Default Telephones tinkle 15mins after using ADSL

pzboyz wrote:
Jim wrote:

This is commonly caused by the line tests run by BT exchanges once a
day, usually at night. I only became aware of it after getting
ADSL, so maybe it is turned on when the service is provisioned. It
may be possible to get it turned off.

It's possible the test is delayed if the ADSL connection is up (or
active).


Oh Yes well aware of this factor when I had ISDN installed, all of a
sudden my phones had a similar problem till I insisted they change the
ISDN box in my home .. then the problem went away. Also this is
happening many times per day.

Well now I have this problem again.

Something I just noticed after talking on the phone for 30mins, when I
put the phone down, I got the same tinkling noise. The ADSL had been
inactive for hours before this (the odd DOS attack excepting) as I had
been at work.

So, both ADSL and PSTN activity seem to be able to cause the phone to
tinkle.


You could have a slight earth/battery fault on your line. These have been
known to cause 'tinkle'.

The only way you may be able find out if you have is contact faults (but
don't mention ADSL) they can test your line (this may cause your ADSL
service to drop synch for a few minutes) & they should be able to tell from
that.

If they do say there is a problem & arrange for an engineer to visit, once
again don't mention ADSL or the apparent link between the to & just let him
get on with it.

If you do mention ADSL the chances are they'll slap a visit charge on you &
you'll see the tyres burning as they take off down the road...

HTH

B-)


  #10  
Old May 8th 05, 04:46 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Chris
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default Telephones tinkle 15mins after using ADSL

"pzboyz" wrote...
Yes they are off one filter, it is the BT faceplate adaptor
from clarity.it, so difficult to test standalone.


I am using the same BT faceplate adaptor with a Netgear DG834GT router.
My phones also 'tinkle' occasionally when ADSL is connected. I'm pretty
sure they did the same before I got the router, when I was using an
internal PCI ADSL card.


 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2019 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.