Skype with two sound cards, a problem

Old May 7th 05, 02:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Derrick Fawsitt

Default Skype with two sound cards, a problem

A friend of mine has the following problem with Skype which he has asked
me to post here for him, can you help me to help him please.

He says "Skype worked fine with on-board Soundmax sound card which is
installed in Dell pc with Windows XP Home.
Installing a second pro-type card, EMU 0404, has caused SKype problems,
with gross distortion*on incoming voice.
Win XP allows both cards to run, but Skype is obviously apparently*
through the EMU card. There doesn't seem to be any way in "options" to
set Skype to select the Soundmax; most software allows either to be
selected - is there any way around this."

Thank you for any help you can give please.
--
Derrick Fawsitt
Old May 7th 05, 02:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
news

In message , Derrick Fawsitt
writes
A friend of mine has the following problem with Skype which he has
asked me to post here for him, can you help me to help him please.

He says "Skype worked fine with on-board Soundmax sound card which is
installed in Dell pc with Windows XP Home.
Installing a second pro-type card, EMU 0404, has caused SKype problems,
with gross distortion*on incoming voice.
Win XP allows both cards to run, but Skype is obviously apparently*
through the EMU card. There doesn't seem to be any way in "options" to
set Skype to select the Soundmax; most software allows either to be
selected - is there any way around this."

Thank you for any help you can give please.

If he doesn't need or use the Soundmax, he should disable it in the
BIOS.
--
Ian.
Old May 7th 05, 06:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Derrick Fawsitt

In message , news
writes
In message , Derrick Fawsitt
writes
A friend of mine has the following problem with Skype which he has
asked me to post here for him, can you help me to help him please.

He says "Skype worked fine with on-board Soundmax sound card which is
installed in Dell pc with Windows XP Home.
Installing a second pro-type card, EMU 0404, has caused SKype
problems, with gross distortion*on incoming voice.
Win XP allows both cards to run, but Skype is obviously apparently*
through the EMU card. There doesn't seem to be any way in "options" to
set Skype to select the Soundmax; most software allows either to be
selected - is there any way around this."

Thank you for any help you can give please.

If he doesn't need or use the Soundmax, he should disable it in the
BIOS.

My friend Eugene replies to you as follows:-

"Re replies, I can easily disable the Soundmax old card, but my aim is
to keep both running. One reason is because the new card has no mic
input. So the problem is - how to get Skype to "see" the old cards"

Incidentally he also is most grateful for your response, it remains to
be seen now if he can "persuade" Skype to "see" to old card.

Hope you can help further.
--
Derrick Fawsitt
Old May 7th 05, 08:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tickettyboo

In ,
Derrick Fawsitt whispered softly in my ear...:
A friend of mine has the following problem with Skype which he has
asked me to post here for him, can you help me to help him please.

He says "Skype worked fine with on-board Soundmax sound card which is
installed in Dell pc with Windows XP Home.
Installing a second pro-type card, EMU 0404, has caused SKype
problems, with gross distortion on incoming voice.
Win XP allows both cards to run, but Skype is obviously apparently
through the EMU card. There doesn't seem to be any way in "options" to
set Skype to select the Soundmax; most software allows either to be
selected - is there any way around this."

Thank you for any help you can give please.

Is it listed in the drop down list in Tools : Options : Sound Devices ?
( I seem to have choices, using Skype v 1.2.0.48)
--
Ticketty▀║║

Old May 8th 05, 02:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Derrick Fawsitt

In message , Tickettyboo
[...]

My friend has come back to me with the following email...

"I hadn't got the "options" item under Skype "Tools", so I downloaded
latest version and it does have these options, so I was able to select
the old card. So we will find out next time whether or not his works.
Regards and thanks for your help"

Let's see tomorrow if it solves his problem.

--
Derrick Fawsitt
Old May 8th 05, 02:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tickettyboo

[...]

Hope it does :-)

--
Ticketty▀║║