Is google down ?

Old May 8th 05, 01:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Marky

Default Is google down ?

google down ?

Old May 8th 05, 01:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil

www.google.co.uk is working fine for me

Old May 8th 05, 01:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Cooper

"Phil" wrote in message
www.google.co.uk is working fine for me

Google just had a ~ 20 minute outage, but are back up again. Judjing by
this thread on WHT http://shorl.com/famohulalypry, it affected google
worldwide including adsense and gmail.

Martin

Old May 8th 05, 02:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tomi Häsä

Marky wrote:
google down ?

Google said they had a DNS problem for 15 minutes:

"Google shuts down for 15 minutes"
MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. - Googling stopped for 15 minutes on Saturday.
The world's leading internet search engine shut down from 6:45 to 7
p.m. eastern time, according to Google spokesman David Krane.
"It was not a hacking or a security issue," said Krane. He said the
problem was related to the DNS, or Domain Name System, though Krane did
not elaborate. The DNS translates domain names for computers.
"Google's global properties were unavailable for a short period of
time," Krane said. "We've remedied the problem and access to Google has
been restored worldwide."
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...a/11592622.htm
http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2005...3_015_7_05.txt

"The death and rebirth of Google"
According to the official statements, for 15 minutes, during 6:45 and
7:00 PM Eastern Time, Google was down. And we I say Google was down, I
mean the entire range of services: Gmail, Google News, Froogle.
Although David Krane, the company's spokesman, said the servers were
down for 15 minutes, several users didn't have access for
approximately 45 minutes.
During this time, anyone who typed in www.google.com was redirected to
SoGOSearch.com or other pages, convincing many that Google was defeated
by hackers.
In reality, it seems it was a DNS problem, or at least that's what
David Krane said for Mercury News , stressing the idea that there was
no security or hacking issue. This might be true, since many users
reported they could access Google's services by typing in the IP
address of the search engine.
http://news.softpedia.com/news/The-d...gle-1710.shtml