Moving home BT Lin / Pipex broadband

Old May 8th 05, 02:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Darren

Default Moving home BT Lin / Pipex broadband

Hi

I have a feeling this isn't going to be cheap but I just wondered if
anybody had advice/timescale/cost.

At the moment I am 9 months into my Pipex contract for ADSL and same goes
for BT phone line. Come June 05, I am moving house for the summer. The house
I am moving to has a phone line but no account attached to it. i.e. it is
dead. Then in September 05, I am going to be moving again.

What are my best options for getting ADSL over the summer (June-August),
baring in mind I already have ADSL and BT accounts at a house.

thanks
--
Darren
http://www.thatsmega.net \\ life in writing :: life in pictures

Old May 8th 05, 02:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Darren" wrote in message
At the moment I am 9 months into my Pipex contract for ADSL and same goes
for BT phone line. Come June 05, I am moving house for the summer. The
house
I am moving to has a phone line but no account attached to it. i.e. it is
dead. Then in September 05, I am going to be moving again.

What are my best options for getting ADSL over the summer (June-August),
baring in mind I already have ADSL and BT accounts at a house.

Getting a BT account and a Virgin ADSL line
(http://www.virgin.net/internetaccess/broadband/) is probably your best bet
for the June-August period.

BT reactiving a dormant line normally means a 3 month contract and Virgin is
a monthly contract for its ADSL accounts (+they have no activation fee)

On your current line, I think Pipex will charge you a cancellation fee but I
don't think BT will.

Regards
Sunil

Old May 8th 05, 02:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Darren

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message

"Darren" wrote in message
At the moment I am 9 months into my Pipex contract for ADSL and same goes
for BT phone line. Come June 05, I am moving house for the summer. The
house
I am moving to has a phone line but no account attached to it. i.e. it is
dead. Then in September 05, I am going to be moving again.

What are my best options for getting ADSL over the summer (June-August),
baring in mind I already have ADSL and BT accounts at a house.

Getting a BT account and a Virgin ADSL line
(http://www.virgin.net/internetaccess/broadband/) is probably your best
bet for the June-August period.

Do you know how well virgin keep track of your bandwidth allowance? I'm
thinking start off with 15.99 1GB package and if they shout then freely
switch to their other ones..

Old May 8th 05, 04:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sun, 8 May 2005 13:17:57 +0100, "Darren" wrote:

Come June 05, I am moving house for the summer

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/newsarchive.asp?item=1894 the "broadband
mover" may be appropriate ??

Phil

Old May 9th 05, 12:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Darren" wrote in message
Do you know how well virgin keep track of your bandwidth allowance? I'm
thinking start off with 15.99 1GB package and if they shout then freely
switch to their other ones..

I'm afraid not as I am not a Virgin customer.

You could ask on the forums at http://www.adslguide.org.uk/

Regards
Sunil

Old May 9th 05, 09:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sun, 8 May 2005 13:38:37 +0100, "Darren" wrote:

Do you know how well virgin keep track of your bandwidth allowance? I'm
thinking start off with 15.99 1GB package and if they shout then freely
switch to their other ones..

Virign aka NTL now use Datastream connections for new accounts which
currently inhibit your ability to migrate away and are more prone to
exchange level congestion. Caveat Emptor.

If you migrate to them you'll prob stay on IPstream.
http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/postlist...oard=virginnet

Phil

Old May 9th 05, 09:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 09 May 2005 08:09, Phil Thompson wrote:

Virgin aka NTL now use Datastream connections for new accounts which
currently inhibit your ability to migrate away

Although more than one ISP is accepting migrations under a BT trial to
allow just that. From ISPreview.co.uk (Saturday) there's a piece :-

"MetroNet has followed Freedom2Surf by becoming the latest provider to
join BT's broadband ADSL migration improvements trial, which includes
the seamless ability to swap from a datastream to an IPStream provider"

It seems there may still be problems getting a MAC from an ISP using
Datastream and that's something one could complain to Ofcom about, as
it causes additional cost and delay and is 'deliberately' unhelpful.

--
Plus.Net http://tinyurl.com/5jpa4
I recommend them and save some cash.

Old May 9th 05, 09:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 09 May 2005 08:23:19 +0100, Peter M
wrote:

From ISPreview.co.uk (Saturday)

ISTR Metronet were on the trial from the beginning, reported on 1st
April (!) at http://www.adslguide.org.uk/newsarchive.asp?item=2182

there was a glitch in the process where it was broke, not sure if its
on again (it is a trial).

as its a trial I'm not sure all the datastream providers are involved
either.

Are SPs obliged to be in the MAC scheme now ?

Phil

Old May 9th 05, 12:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On Mon, 09 May 2005 08:51:02 +0100, Phil Thompson
wrote:

there was a glitch in the process where it was broke, not sure if its
on again (it is a trial) as its a trial I'm not sure all the datastream
providers are involved either.

Well, the trial resumed (I had e-mail from them about it in particular)
and it is presumably the recipient ISP (Freedom 2 Surf or Metronet, or
any other in similar trial) which has to be involved, once a MAC from
the user has been obtained... why would it matter about the old ISP
not being on the trial ?

Are SPs obliged to be in the MAC scheme now ?

It seems not, or if it is, there are still some which appear to refuse to
'play ball', hence my comment about complaint to Ofcom - competition can
surely only be harmed by ISPs being unhelpful in this way... or ADSLguide
and web sites/magazines should have a blacklist of bad ISPs every month,
and tough if one is already a customer... Though a switch is still for
a customer to choose and some ISPs are providing low-cost activation
(free, absorbed in the first year, or deferred and on a sliding scale,
but still offering no up-front fee for getting online). Peter M.

Old May 9th 05, 12:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 09 May 2005 11:13:02 +0100, Peter M
wrote:

once a MAC from
the user has been obtained... why would it matter about the old ISP
not being on the trial ?

if they don't issue MACs at all, or if the trial (which is only
available to a limited number of providers in its first stage) does
something non-standard at this stage.

Datastream providers will presumably be ignorant / incapable of the
MAC process unless they are participating in the trial.

Phil