Plusnet 2Mb Premier

Old May 8th 05, 05:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roy

Default Plusnet 2Mb Premier

Is this service any good, presently with Pipex on 1Mb. Downloading approx
50-60Gb a month. Is it true about the pipe of doom or have they dropped it

Roy

Old May 8th 05, 06:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

Roy wrote:
Is this service any good, presently with Pipex on 1Mb. Downloading approx
50-60Gb a month. Is it true about the pipe of doom or have they dropped it

Roy

Hi there,

The 'Pipe of Doom' or 'Bad Boy Pipe' as it came to be known is no more,
and was only in place for a short period of time, and affected a handful
of very heavy users.

If you want to know how our Premier accounts are managed then I suggest
looking he-

http://www.plus.net/support/features...on_guide.shtml

http://www.plus.net/support/adsl/fai...e_update.shtml

Kind Regards,

--
+ ----- PlusNet - The smarter way to broadband ------
Old May 8th 05, 09:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Norman

On Sun, 8 May 2005 16:43:39 +0100, "Roy" wrote:

Is this service any good, presently with Pipex on 1Mb. Downloading approx

Yes.

50-60Gb a month. Is it true about the pipe of doom or have they dropped it

If you do all of that downloading during home users peak hours (which
appear to be about 14:00-22:00) then you could possibly get a tap on
the shoulder from Plusnet. If however some of that was in off peak
times you will have no problem.
--
Andy Norman
http://www.norman.cx/
Old May 8th 05, 10:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JA

PlusNet Support Team wrote:

If you want to know how our Premier accounts are managed then I suggest
looking he-

http://www.plus.net/support/features...on_guide.shtml

At the other end of the food chain..

I used to work for a government establishment which was charged with
setting standards for the provision of toilets in office buildings. An
office with one worker required 1 loo, but an office building with 1000
workers didn't need 1000 loos. Loos were contended - actually we had
different jargon, but it meant the same.

The project made it into Pseud's Corner because of the methods used to
gather data (cameras - discretely placed - all in the best *possible*
taste).

--
JA
Old May 8th 05, 10:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 08 May 2005 20:16, Andrew Norman wrote:

If you do all of that downloading during home users peak hours (which
appear to be about 14:00-22:00) then you could possibly get a tap on
the shoulder

There have been conflicting reports, with the head of Marketing saying
1600-0000 while the off-peak which had been planned for the unimplemented
FUP was from 0100 to 0800. I'd suggest keeping per-to-peer and heavy d/l
activities outside 0900-0000 and the comments from Plus.Net support staff
seems to suggest they'd take a long-term view (eg average over 2-3 months
rather than strict limit for a month). Peter M.

--
Plus.Net http://tinyurl.com/5jpa4
I recommend them and save some cash.

Old May 8th 05, 11:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

Peter M wrote:
On 08 May 2005 20:16, Andrew Norman wrote:

If you do all of that downloading during home users peak hours (which
appear to be about 14:00-22:00) then you could possibly get a tap on
the shoulder

There have been conflicting reports, with the head of Marketing saying
1600-0000 while the off-peak which had been planned for the unimplemented
FUP was from 0100 to 0800. I'd suggest keeping per-to-peer and heavy d/l
activities outside 0900-0000 and the comments from Plus.Net support staff
seems to suggest they'd take a long-term view (eg average over 2-3 months
rather than strict limit for a month). Peter M.

You can see when the network is quieter he-

http://portal.plus.net/support/adsl/...lisation.shtml

Regards,

Old May 9th 05, 01:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Norman

On Sun, 08 May 2005 21:16:02 +0100, Peter M
wrote:

On 08 May 2005 20:16, Andrew Norman wrote:

If you do all of that downloading during home users peak hours (which
appear to be about 14:00-22:00) then you could possibly get a tap on
the shoulder

There have been conflicting reports, with the head of Marketing saying
1600-0000 while the off-peak which had been planned for the unimplemented

Yeah, I meant to say 16:00. I always seem to manage to say 4pm is
14:00, never seem to do it with any other hour.
Old May 9th 05, 02:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 08 May 2005 22:12, PlusNet Support Team [email protected] wrote:

http://portal.plus.net/support/adsl/...lisation.shtml

Quite staggering to see how much *outgoing* traffic there is, if that is
only from people on ADSL connections. I know that some would suggest it
comes down to 'peer to peer' traffic, but I cannot help thinking there's
such a lot of outbound traffic that a lot of people are either running a
webcam (porn shows :-) or sending junk mail, or running some audio links
from a radio station type setup, cos all the little bits of mail etc are
surely going to the Plus.Net service and might not even be counted there
on those graphs... Very puzzling, unless someone can shed some light!!

Old May 9th 05, 02:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 08 May 2005 22:12, PlusNet Support Team wrote:

suggest keeping per-to-peer and heavy d/l activities outside 0900-0000

You can see when the network is quieter he-

http://portal.plus.net/support/adsl/...lisation.shtml

Seeing that, I'd suggest heavy d/l activities outside 1000-0100, as the
level seems to reach about 50% of the peak-trough on incoming at least.

30 day free trial... http://web.vfm-deals.com/runbox/