Phone, fax and internet - how does it work on Broadband?

Old May 8th 05, 09:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Slartibartfast

Default Phone, fax and internet - how does it work on Broadband?

I'm currently using an ISDN connection, but Broadband will finally be coming
to this part of Wales in a couple of months.

With my ISDN connection we subscribe to BT's Home highway and our ISP is
Demon. We have three separate numbers for the phone, the fax and the ISDN
internet connection.

We can use any two of the three at the same time, but if, for instance,
someone was faxing me while I am connected to the Internet, if someone
phoned me they would get the engaged signal. This set up is fine for me, as
it is very rare for all three services to be in use at the same time.

I'm getting confused as to how I would manage these three things when I've
installed Broadband. Will it still work in the same way as ISDN or do I
need to rethink my set up? E.g. do I need a separate line for the fax
machine?
--
Slartibartfast
To reply by email, remove the FJORDS from my address

Old May 8th 05, 10:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Slartibartfast wrote:
I'm currently using an ISDN connection, but Broadband will finally be
coming to this part of Wales in a couple of months.

With my ISDN connection we subscribe to BT's Home highway and our ISP
is Demon. We have three separate numbers for the phone, the fax and
the ISDN internet connection.

We can use any two of the three at the same time, but if, for
instance, someone was faxing me while I am connected to the Internet,
if someone phoned me they would get the engaged signal. This set up
is fine for me, as it is very rare for all three services to be in
use at the same time.
I'm getting confused as to how I would manage these three things when
I've installed Broadband. Will it still work in the same way as ISDN
or do I need to rethink my set up? E.g. do I need a separate line
for the fax machine?

Rethink time, for DSL all you require is 1 telephone line, so you will have
the 24hrs DSL & whatever usage you want for the telephone at the same time.
If you want fax, voice & broadband, at the same time you will require
another line..

Old May 9th 05, 08:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Cable Guy

Slartibartfast wrote:
|| I'm currently using an ISDN connection, but Broadband will finally
|| be coming to this part of Wales in a couple of months.
|| With my ISDN connection we subscribe to BT's Home highway and our
|| ISP is Demon. We have three separate numbers for the phone, the fax
|| and the ISDN internet connection.
|| We can use any two of the three at the same time, but if, for
|| instance, someone was faxing me while I am connected to the
|| Internet, if someone phoned me they would get the engaged signal.
|| This set up is fine for me, as it is very rare for all three
|| services to be in use at the same time.
|| I'm getting confused as to how I would manage these three things
|| when I've installed Broadband. Will it still work in the same way
|| as ISDN or do I need to rethink my set up? E.g. do I need a
|| separate line for the fax machine?
|| --
|| Slartibartfast
|| To reply by email, remove the FJORDS from my address

You will have to either convert your Home Highway to analogue. IIRC BT
charge 40 for the 1st Channel & 99 for the second. (they did on business
highway) on residential it ought to be 75 for the new line.

If you go with BT broadband, they will do the conversion of the first
channel for free. If you stop there, you will, of course, lose your second
channel anyway as you only have one physical line.

To do what you propose, you need a POTS line for your broadband, which you
could also use for fax or voice and one other.

Old May 9th 05, 08:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Cable Guy

Slartibartfast wrote:
|| I'm currently using an ISDN connection, but Broadband will finally
|| be coming to this part of Wales in a couple of months.
|| With my ISDN connection we subscribe to BT's Home highway and our
|| ISP is Demon. We have three separate numbers for the phone, the fax
|| and the ISDN internet connection.
|| We can use any two of the three at the same time, but if, for
|| instance, someone was faxing me while I am connected to the
|| Internet, if someone phoned me they would get the engaged signal.
|| This set up is fine for me, as it is very rare for all three
|| services to be in use at the same time.
|| I'm getting confused as to how I would manage these three things
|| when I've installed Broadband. Will it still work in the same way
|| as ISDN or do I need to rethink my set up? E.g. do I need a
|| separate line for the fax machine?
|| --
|| Slartibartfast
|| To reply by email, remove the FJORDS from my address

You may want to convert your Home Highway to analogue [1]. IIRC BT
charge 40 for the 1st Channel & 99 for the second. (they did on business
highway) on residential it ought to be 75 for the new line.

If you go with BT broadband, they will do the conversion of the first
channel for free. If you stop there, you will, of course, lose your second
channel anyway as you only have one physical line.

[1] To do what you propose, you need a POTS line for your broadband, which

Old May 10th 05, 03:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Slartibartfast

"The Cable Guy" wrote in message
k...
You may want to convert your Home Highway to analogue [1]. IIRC BT
charge 40 for the 1st Channel & 99 for the second. (they did on business
highway) on residential it ought to be 75 for the new line.

If you go with BT broadband, they will do the conversion of the first
channel for free. If you stop there, you will, of course, lose your second
channel anyway as you only have one physical line.

[1] To do what you propose, you need a POTS line for your broadband, which
you
could also use for fax or voice and one other.

Thanks to everyone for their replies. At least I've got a better idea of
the options now.

I quite like Owain's suggestion of the Twintalk set up. We've got those at
our shop and use them to share the line between our fax machine and modem
(both fairly low usage). So far we've had no problems and it's much cheaper
than two separate lines.

Old May 10th 05, 06:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 10 May 2005 14:57:29 +0100, "Slartibartfast"
wrote:

I quite like Owain's suggestion of the Twintalk set up. We've got those at
our shop and use them to share the line between our fax machine and modem
(both fairly low usage). So far we've had no problems

are they battery powered ? how long do the batts last if so.

Phil
Old May 10th 05, 07:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Cable Guy

Phil Thompson wrote:
|| On Tue, 10 May 2005 14:57:29 +0100, "Slartibartfast"
|| wrote:
||| I quite like Owain's suggestion of the Twintalk set up. We've got
||| those at our shop and use them to share the line between our fax
||| machine and modem (both fairly low usage). So far we've had no
||| problems
|| are they battery powered ? how long do the batts last if so.
|| Phil

Last time I used one of these types of devices, it was powered by the phone
line.

Old May 10th 05, 08:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 10 May 2005 17:58:21 GMT, "The Cable Guy"
wrote:

Last time I used one of these types of devices, it was powered by the phone
line.

there was a differnet device which ISTR had two outlets, the Twintalk
device has one but is slective as to what it answers. The former was I
think line powered, the latter I think has batteries - I found a
review that says "When the time comes to changing the batteries,"

Phil

Old May 11th 05, 01:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Slartibartfast

wrote:

Last time I used one of these types of devices, it was powered by the
phone
line.

there was a differnet device which ISTR had two outlets, the Twintalk
device has one but is slective as to what it answers. The former was I
think line powered, the latter I think has batteries - I found a
review that says "When the time comes to changing the batteries,"

Phil

I've had mine for about two years and they're still using the original
batteries.

These are the devices we use:
http://www.rocom.co.uk/top/other/bt-twintalk.htm