Moving office, taking number, adsl?

Old May 9th 05, 12:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bryan Anderson

Default Moving office, taking number, adsl?

A client of mine is moving office soon and is taking their phone
number with them. What happens with their Zen broadband account
if they do this? I know that broadband is set to the phone number
but I assume that it's actually the line itself? I am guessing
that they will need to cancel their current contract and maybe
go without for a couple of days until BT have transfered the tel
number to the new line. Then they'll need to re-apply, correct?

--
Bryan Anderson
Old May 9th 05, 12:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 09 May 2005 12:12:53 +0100, Bryan Anderson
wrote:

What happens with their Zen broadband account
if they do this? I know that broadband is set to the phone number
but I assume that it's actually the line itself?

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/newsarchive.asp?item=2188
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/newsarchive.asp?item=1894

"Broadband mover" service seems appropriate, and he's with the right
ISP.

Phil
Old May 9th 05, 12:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 09 May 2005 12:12, Bryan Anderson wrote:

What happens with their Zen broadband account if they do this?

Have they asked Zen, if there is anything which Zen will offer in
the way of easing the cost of a cease and new provide ? Metronet
certainly has a page describing the need to cease and so forth,
and since BT is involved, there are fees payable, but some ISPs
will absorb even the move cost (and with Zen not being one of the
cheapest, perhaps they have some policy to keep the customer, else
the customer could cease and get a new ISP if they so choose :-))

Clearly the customer can ask the ISP "What's in it for me, to have
an account with you, still, when there are others I could use"...

--
Plus.Net http://tinyurl.com/5jpa4
I recommend them and save some cash.

Old May 9th 05, 01:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Hurrell

"Bryan Anderson" wrote in message

A client of mine is moving office soon and is taking their phone
number with them. What happens with their Zen broadband account
if they do this? I know that broadband is set to the phone number
but I assume that it's actually the line itself? I am guessing
that they will need to cancel their current contract and maybe
go without for a couple of days until BT have transfered the tel
number to the new line. Then they'll need to re-apply, correct?

I went through this exact process about a month ago. I'm with Nildram, and
they only charge a minimal fee if you are simply moving office and want the
exact same service at the new address. It all sounded simple in practice,
but in the event I was without ADSL at my new address for more than three
weeks (luckily I have ADSL at home, so was able to continue working).

There were a couple of problems:
1) The postcode registered by BT for the new address was incorrect - this
caused a few days delay with the ADSL order as it was continually rejected.
I had to update it with BT, despite having given them the correct postcode
when I put the order in for the install of the new number at the new
address.
2) The main problem, however, was that my existing ADSL service at my old
address was still "flagged" to my number even after the ADSL was ceased. So
every time the ADSL re-provide order was put through it was rejected by BT
(incompatible prodcut on the line). Nildram were good in that they kept me
informed about what was going on, but it just took so long.

I think the main thing is to prepare for the fact that it could take a long
time...The fact that three parties involved (you, BT and the ISP) seems to
make things very complicated in getting messages through to the correct
place..

Best of luck!
James

Old May 9th 05, 01:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 9 May 2005 13:04, "James Hurrell" wrote:

I was without ADSL at my new address for more than three weeks

Hmmm, not much fun... how long ago was this, please ? Peter M.

Old May 9th 05, 02:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Hurrell

"Peter M" wrote in message

Hmmm, not much fun... how long ago was this, please ? Peter M.

No not much fun really.. very frustrating. I had my number moved by BT on
the 21st Jan, and began work in my new office on or around the 18th Feb
(can't remember exactly) using the ADSL connection.

Old May 9th 05, 03:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 9 May 2005 14:18, "James Hurrell" wrote:

had my number moved by BT on the 21st Jan

Thanks James. I was mostly curious, having seen the ADSLguide item (see
Phil's post, second link, ending 1894 AFAICR) about BT Wholesale trying
to make it easier for such moves to be made. I hope by this time next
year all ISPs will be both aware and willing/able to do it so customers
will not have awkward gaps... Peter M.

Old May 9th 05, 03:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Hurrell

"Peter M" wrote in message
. 86...
Thanks James. I was mostly curious, having seen the ADSLguide item (see
Phil's post, second link, ending 1894 AFAICR) about BT Wholesale trying
to make it easier for such moves to be made. I hope by this time next
year all ISPs will be both aware and willing/able to do it so customers
will not have awkward gaps... Peter M.

I read the links Phil suggested, these are something similar to what Nildram
offered. I think I only paid about 14 or something, not the full connection
fee for ADSL. However, the diffciulty arises when you want to take your
number with you, especailly if the ADSL flag on your number is not removed
quickly enough (as in my case).. And I definitely agree, the system needs
improving - 3 weeks without a connection at the office was very painful!

Old May 9th 05, 04:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 9 May 2005 15:57:22 +0100, "James Hurrell"
wrote:

However, the diffciulty arises when you want to take your
number with you, especailly if the ADSL flag on your number is not removed
quickly enough (as in my case)..

that seems to be what Zen is aiming to smooth out, see
http://www.zenbroadband.co.uk/ADSL.aspx?page=380

like many things it'll come down to individual effort and contacts
with BT to make it work I guess.

Phil
Old May 9th 05, 08:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stuart Millington

wrote:

A client of mine is moving office soon and is taking their phone
number with them. What happens with their Zen broadband account
if they do this? I know that broadband is set to the phone number

They/you could look at the Zen website ;-)

ZenADSL Move: http://www.zenadsl.co.uk/ADSL.aspx?page=380

We're moving office this week. Unfortunately, Zen messed up the
move order, so it's going to run a week late. But, it's still better
than paying the extra activation fee.

- Stuart Millington ALL HTML e-mail rejected -
- mailtohttp://w3.z-add.co.uk/ -