AOL Bring Your Own Access

Old May 9th 05, 03:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steph

Default AOL Bring Your Own Access

Hi,

I'm doing my best to wean some friends off AOL dialup and on to a real
broadband ISP

They want to retain access to their AOL account for a couple of months
in case they miss any emails etc.

I've read past posts in here to something called Bring Your Own Access
but I can find no reference to it either on the AOL website or through
the Billing section of their AOL account. Obviously, AOL aren't too
keen to advertise this service.

The best thing I've found so far is something called AOL Light Usage,
which offers 3 hours of access per month for £5.95.

Any web links for this, or does it mean calling them up..?

Thanks in advance,
Steph

Old May 9th 05, 04:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil

"Steph" wrote in news:1115649153.197916.172740
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

The best thing I've found so far is something called AOL Light Usage,
which offers 3 hours of access per month for £5.95.

You should be able to access AOL no matter what ISP you're with so the
Light Usage product might well work. I've certainly accessed AOL before
from a ClaraNet dialup account.

As far as I know the "bring your own access" product has only ever been
available in the US:

--
Phil
http://www.philipchung.co.uk/
Old May 9th 05, 04:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On 9 May 2005 07:32:33 -0700, "Steph" wrote:

I've read past posts in here to something called Bring Your Own Access
but I can find no reference to it either on the AOL website or through
the Billing section of their AOL account. Obviously, AOL aren't too
keen to advertise this service.

http://www.the-scream.co.uk/forums/a...p/t-15977.html

AOL Keyword: BYOA perhaps ? or Pricing ?

Phil
Old May 9th 05, 04:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JJJJ

:

The best thing I've found so far is something called AOL Light Usage,
which offers 3 hours of access per month for £5.95.

You should be able to access AOL no matter what ISP you're with so the
Light Usage product might well work. I've certainly accessed AOL before
from a ClaraNet dialup account.

As far as I know the "bring your own access" product has only ever been
available in the US:

sorry to but in on your post, but can you have an AOL email address without
paying for the software?

Jules
There are two respites from the miseries of life - music and cats.
Old May 9th 05, 09:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message .com
from "Steph" contains these words:

The best thing I've found so far is something called AOL Light Usage,
which offers 3 hours of access per month for £5.95.

*HOW MUCH*? The Zetnet basic account is, IIRC, £5 p/m + VAT for uncapped
(0845) access - or are you quoting a broadband connection?

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old May 10th 05, 12:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 9 May 2005 21:25, Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

*HOW MUCH*? The Zetnet basic account is, IIRC, £5 p/m + VAT

you have to remember that AOL is not just an ISP, it is a "content
provider" in some similar way to Compu$pend used to be. There are
soccer and other 'channels' which can be obtained by entering such
keywords as team name etc which is what some feel is useful.

30 day free trial... http://web.vfm-deals.com/runbox/
Old May 10th 05, 01:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kim

"Peter M" wrote in message
. 87...
On 9 May 2005 21:25, Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

*HOW MUCH*? The Zetnet basic account is, IIRC, £5 p/m + VAT

you have to remember that AOL is not just an ISP, it is a "content
provider" in some similar way to Compu$pend used to be. There are
soccer and other 'channels' which can be obtained by entering such
keywords as team name etc which is what some feel is useful.

Yes indeed. Each morning I can read such crucial news as what Britney Spears
had for breakfast or receive death threats from posters to AOL's own message
boards who make even Usenet posters dound sane and all for a mere 300%
mark-up on what BT Wholesale charges them for the line. Lucky me.

(kim)