Metronet Warning?

Old May 9th 05, 06:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

Default Metronet Warning?

This whole world is getting silly!

Dear Customer

Increasingly we are being contacted by authorities and legal parties
alerting us to ADSL customers who are allegedly downloading or sharing
content which may not be legal and/or breach copyright.

We would like to use this opportunity to remind all customers to
please ensure that to the best of your ability downloaded/shared
content - whether this be music, films, software etc - is legal. If in
doubt please check the terms of the content supplier/supplied.

Broadband has obviously increased this problem and while this email
may fall on the deaf ears of some customers they should be aware that
we do take any reported or alleged breachs very seriously, as some
customers have already discovered.

While we will not blindly monitor any customer's use of their
Broadband connection we reserve the right to do so and endeavour to
advise customers who we are asked to monitor or log with as much
notice as possible.

We are sending this email not only to serve as a timely reminder but
to also advise that we are obliged to provide legal authorities with
the details of customers who they may ask for. We would therefore ask
customers to be responsible enough to ensure they do not fall foul in
the first place.

Thank you for your attention to this.

Old May 9th 05, 07:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Steve wrote:
This whole world is getting silly!

Why is it silly?

Old May 9th 05, 07:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

On 2005-05-09 18:05:22 +0100, "Beck" said:

Steve wrote:
This whole world is getting silly!

Why is it silly?

Sorry, just ****ed off with all this monitoring, vieled threats, nanny
state, can't park in mother and toddler parking space, people reading
500 word data protection agreements over the phone before they can help
you, phone menu loops, ambulance chasing, people covering themselves,
the *******s who nicked the badges off my Alfa.....

Yup, It's been a bad day, please don't take a picture....

Funnily enough after initial 1mb ADSL download frenzy I don't download
anything apart from UK TV, illegal I suppose as is a VCR by same
token.....

Steve

Old May 9th 05, 07:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

news:2005050918253743658%[email protected]
On 2005-05-09 18:05:22 +0100, "Beck"
said:

Steve wrote:
This whole world is getting silly!

Why is it silly?

Sorry, just ****ed off with all this monitoring, vieled threats, nanny
state, can't park in mother and toddler parking space, people reading
500 word data protection agreements over the phone before they can help
you, phone menu loops, ambulance chasing, people covering themselves,
the *******s who nicked the badges off my Alfa.....

I agree with all you said except the bit about parking in a mother and
toddler space. If you aren't a mother with a toddler, why do you think you
should be allowed to park there..?!

Ivor

Old May 9th 05, 08:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 9 May 2005 18:25, Steve wrote:

Sorry, just ****ed off with all this monitoring, vieled threats, nanny
state, can't park in mother and toddler parking space,

On reading it, I thought they were being overly generous in suggesting
they would "endeavour to advise customers who we are asked to monitor
or log with as much notice as possible."

Whether you consider it a veiled threat, or warning, it seems to be the
case they are simply stating their policy as a clear reminder that once
they get a complaint, they'll be unable to ignore it, and for one that
gets caught, it's a "banged to rights, guv'nor" situation so one may
have a (big) fine to pay (or, if pirating software, perhaps worse)!

Old May 9th 05, 09:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

On 2005-05-09 18:05:22 +0100, "Beck" said:

Steve wrote:
This whole world is getting silly!

Why is it silly?

Sorry, just ****ed off with all this monitoring, vieled threats, nanny
state, can't park in mother and toddler parking space, people reading
500 word data protection agreements over the phone before they can help
you, phone menu loops, ambulance chasing, people covering themselves,
the *******s who nicked the badges off my Alfa.....

I agree with all you said except the bit about parking in a mother and
toddler space. If you aren't a mother with a toddler, why do you think
you should be allowed to park there..?!

Well! I am I single dad with five kids - yes! And I have a Previa. I
once parked in the ''carer' and toddler space at Gym, and some person
in a Merc reported me - I saw him. So they shifted me. Ok I was out of
order.

But in those spaces normally are two seater Lotus Skateboards, huge
Mercs with leather seats, BMW 4x4's - no sign of any child seats. And
this is middle of the day when older kids are at school - or supposed
to be...

Doesn't make it right I know but bad day syndrome!

Steve - Chillin'...

Old May 9th 05, 09:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Steve wrote:

Well! I am I single dad with five kids - yes! And I have a Previa. I
once parked in the ''carer' and toddler space at Gym, and some person
in a Merc reported me - I saw him. So they shifted me. Ok I was out of
order.

Those mother and toddler spaces are wrong. If they want to help struggling
single parent parent it should simply be "single parent and toddler spaces".
You were not in the wrong and could probably have challenged it in court :-)

Old May 9th 05, 10:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message 2005050917491550073%[email protected]
from Steve contains these words:

/snip/

Thank you for your attention to this.

CYA mail.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old May 9th 05, 10:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Sobey

On Mon, 09 May 2005 20:59:40 +0100, Dave
wrote:

On the Mon, 9 May 2005 20:34:53 +0100, "Beck"
wrote:

Those mother and toddler spaces are wrong. If they want to help struggling
single parent parent it should simply be "single parent and toddler spaces".

they should be tols to **** off and shop else where!
Regards,

Who should be told?

Mother and toddler spaces are never filled with mothers, toddlers, or
any combination of the two where I shop. Neither are the disabled
spaces.
Old May 9th 05, 11:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Mon, 9 May 2005 20:34:53 +0100, Beck in message
wrote:

Steve wrote:

Well! I am I single dad with five kids - yes! And I have a Previa. I
once parked in the ''carer' and toddler space at Gym, and some person
in a Merc reported me - I saw him. So they shifted me. Ok I was out of
order.

Those mother and toddler spaces are wrong.

I think you will find they don't exist.

I have certainly never seen one which is specifically for *mothers* and
children.

If they want to help struggling
single parent parent it should simply be "single parent and toddler spaces".

They are *all*, without exception so far as I have seen, "parent and
children", or even "carer and children" spaces.

You were not in the wrong and could probably have challenged it in court :-)

Why?

What makes you think it is challengeable?

If it were, then those spaces would not exist, because somebody would have
challenged it by now.

The car park owners have every right to prevent people parking in those
spaces when they have no children with them.

Alex Heney
Global Villager