Budget BB forson

Old May 9th 05, 06:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Hutchings

Default Budget BB forson

In article ,
Patrick Nethercot (ngs) wrote:

I am happy to bear initial costs for setup, but the monthly payment
should be affordable for him.

Generally you go down the "free setup, 12 month contract" route or the
"pay for setup, no minimum term" route.

I'd tend to look at Zen, Metronet, Pipex, and Freedom2Surf.

Zen and Metronet charge for setup and are very well regarded but aren't
the cheapest. Pipex do "free" connection but if you leave with the
first year you have to pay the connection fee back (approx 60) and
Freedom2Surf offer either "free" connection but you pay a higher monthly
fee, or 50 connection and a lower fee.. basically swings and
roundabouts so check the small print.

For the 30 or so I would be tempted to get a Network Card and a router,
I suspect it'll be less bother in the long run, Windows 98 is a bit long
in the tooth and generally there's less chance of issues with a router.

Just a thought but is there any sort of affilated ISP scheme with any of
the bodies your son learns with?

cheers,
Paul
--