Budget BB forson

Old May 9th 05, 07:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

Default Budget BB forson

On 9 May 2005 16:55, Patrick Nethercot (ngs) wrote:

I am looking for Broadband service for my son.
W98SE (4.10.2222)
There is no network port but lots of free slots.
the monthly payment should be affordable for him.

I'm guessing that Zetnet's not low enough cost and that browsing /mail are
probably the most important (the HD he has is fine for many purposes but
won't be filling up with an illegal collection of movies anytime soon :-)

How about using one of the cheap accounts that Plus.Net offers? In a
thread the other day, I posted the results of a search using some web
site, and many of the 'big name' accounts such as Wanadoo, BT and AOL
were either capped, or could be much more costly.

He can have a 2000 kbps connection, with no traffic quota, for 14.99 with
a free USB modem (which could perhaps be sold if you get a router/ network
card instead, for stability/ease of use - no USB driver issues, and the
router will stay online even when the PC is off, keeping his ADSL link
up, and at the same time, rejecting many 'probes' which could otherwise
reach the PC).

From about 10 days ago - many are selling higher speed accounts as
the starting point for new customers...

AOL 24.99 for 1000 kbps
29.99 for 2000 kbps

BT Broadband 17.99 for 1000 kbps ( 1 GB cap)
24.99 for 2000 kbps (15 GB cap)

BT Yahoo 26.99 for 2000 kbps (15 GB cap)
29.99 for 2000 kbps (30 GB cap)

Tiscali 15.99 for 1000 kbps ( 3 GB cap)
19.99 for 2000 kbps (20 GB) (but bad CS reputation)

Virgin.Net 15.99 for 500 kbps ( 1 GB cap)
17.99 for 500 ( 3 GB cap)
24.99 for 500 (20 GB cap)

Wanadoo 17.99 for 1000 kbps ( 2 GB cap)
22.99 for 1000 ( 6 GB cap)
27.99 for 1000 (30 GB cap)

I would hesitate to suggest one with a cap 'just in case' as it is far
from easy to guess what the training materials might include.

While a capped account is sometimes cheap, and Metronet is good and starts
at 10 +VAT, they do have a sliding scale which could mean spending quite a
lot more, if the traffic exceeded 2-3 GB a month.

See if Broadband Plus from Plus.Net will fit the bill - it has no quota
limits unlike many of the other accounts around that price.

Note that although it is described as 'free activation' the cost is really
deferred and on a sliding scale so if he leaves after a couple or more
years there would be a portion (80%, 60%, 40%, 20%) of the setup to pay,
just not the full 58.75 'up front'! Peter Morgan (ex-Zetnet user :-)

--
Plus.Net http://tinyurl.com/5jpa4
I recommend them and save some cash.

Old May 9th 05, 10:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Peter M contains these words:

[...]

I'm not sure that Win 98 works well with USB. (Contrary to what some
say, it does work after a fashion as I have a USB scanner on '98) '98SE
is supposed to be better, but there may be power issues, IIRC.

Can it be supplied on 'suck-it-and-see'?

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/