WTD: A good ISP for about 30-40 gigs a week traffic

Old May 10th 05, 12:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Finnigan

Default WTD: A good ISP for about 30-40 gigs a week traffic

As subject really. My current ISP has started being arsey about my useage,
they won`t offer me a suitible package for my useage so now I`m looking for
an ISP that offers a 1 meg service and won`t get a weed on with me if I
download as much as 50 gigs in a week (more like 30 a week on average).

Has anyone got a suitible ISP to suggest? I`d rather pay a few quid more to
cover the extra costs than have another bunch of idiots moaning at me for
exceeding a fair use policy that I was never told about (when I asked upon
signing up, I was told there was no limit, and no suggestion they`d be
changing their minds).

I`m seriously considering AOL - anyone got any good reasons to avoid them?

Thanks for your help.

Old May 10th 05, 09:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 9 May 2005 23:57:06 +0100, "Simon Finnigan"
wrote:

I`m seriously considering AOL - anyone got any good reasons to avoid them?

no, go with them. As you want to use your contended line consistently
at 50-75% of its maximum capacity 24/7 I can think of no better ISP.

Phil

Old May 10th 05, 10:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Hurrell

Default A good ISP for about 30-40 gigs a week traffic

"Simon Finnigan" wrote in message
As subject really. My current ISP has started being arsey about my

useage,
they won`t offer me a suitible package for my useage so now I`m looking

for
an ISP that offers a 1 meg service and won`t get a weed on with me if I
download as much as 50 gigs in a week (more like 30 a week on average).

Has anyone got a suitible ISP to suggest? I`d rather pay a few quid more

cover the extra costs than have another bunch of idiots moaning at me for
exceeding a fair use policy that I was never told about (when I asked upon
signing up, I was told there was no limit, and no suggestion they`d be
changing their minds).

Nildram do a service with a 50GB monthly limit... up to 2mb depending on
your line's capabilitites (when BT get around to upgrading your exchange).
Think it's 25.99 a month (called Broadband2
http://broadband.nildram.net/view_pr...up=broadband2).

No relation with them, just a satisfied customer with two accounts.

Old May 10th 05, 11:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Simon Finnigan" contains these words:

As subject really. My current ISP has started being arsey about my useage,
they won`t offer me a suitible package for my useage so now I`m looking for
an ISP that offers a 1 meg service and won`t get a weed on with me if I
download as much as 50 gigs in a week (more like 30 a week on average).

Has anyone got a suitible ISP to suggest? I`d rather pay a few quid
more to
cover the extra costs than have another bunch of idiots moaning at me for
exceeding a fair use policy that I was never told about (when I asked upon
signing up, I was told there was no limit, and no suggestion they`d be
changing their minds).

Look at www.zetnet.com - I thoroughly recommend them and have been a
Zetnut now for more than nine years.

You also get to use (if you want to) ZIMACS, their proprietory
mail/news-handling program, IMO the best available, most spam removed
from the server, and I haven't seen a virus or scumware of any sort in
mail for months and months.

You can speak to staff (and at least one director) in the (closed to
outside) newsgroups, ad occasionally the owner pops in...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old May 10th 05, 11:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 10 May 2005 09:56:11 +0100, "James Hurrell"
wrote:

up to 2mb depending on
your line's capabilitites (when BT get around to upgrading your exchange).

?

2 Mb/s has been available on all enabled exchanges (except for about
5) since it began.

Phil

Old May 10th 05, 12:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Tue, 10 May 2005 09:08:19 UTC, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

Look at www.zetnet.com - I thoroughly recommend them and have been a
Zetnut now for more than nine years.

I used them for several years but became disgusted with them...look in
Google Groups for the full story. For example, 75 quid to move a domain
name...

--
[Kenism - a condition by which the sufferer experiences an inability
Usually accompanied by silly noises and gestures, and frequent use
Old May 10th 05, 01:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jupiter

wrote:

As subject really. My current ISP has started being arsey about my useage,
they won`t offer me a suitible package for my useage so now I`m looking for
an ISP that offers a 1 meg service and won`t get a weed on with me if I
download as much as 50 gigs in a week (more like 30 a week on average).

Has anyone got a suitible ISP to suggest? I`d rather pay a few quid more to
cover the extra costs than have another bunch of idiots moaning at me for
exceeding a fair use policy that I was never told about (when I asked upon
signing up, I was told there was no limit, and no suggestion they`d be
changing their minds).

I`m seriously considering AOL - anyone got any good reasons to avoid them?

Thanks for your help.

BT Business Broadband - no cap at all. 29.99 per month + VAT. Speed
up to 2 meg depending on your line quality. Sign up at
www.btboradband.com and go to the business packages. You do need a BT
phone line but it doesn't have to be a business line.

Old May 10th 05, 08:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Bob Eager" contains these words:
wrote:

Look at www.zetnet.com - I thoroughly recommend them and have been a
Zetnut now for more than nine years.

I used them for several years but became disgusted with them...look in
Google Groups for the full story. For example, 75 quid to move a domain
name...

I'll put it to the management - how many ISPs do *YOU* know where you
can e-mail or even phone directors or owner - AND get their attention?

I've always found them value for money - not dead cheap, but what
quality product is?

Watch this space.

Old May 10th 05, 09:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Tue, 10 May 2005 18:28:57 UTC, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

I used them for several years but became disgusted with them...look in
Google Groups for the full story. For example, 75 quid to move a domain
name...

I'll put it to the management - how many ISPs do *YOU* know where you
can e-mail or even phone directors or owner - AND get their attention?

I put it to the management a while ago. Appalling lack of interest -
unfocused development strategy - etc.

In terms of ISPs...my current ISP is just as good in that respect - in
fact a lot better.

I've always found them value for money - not dead cheap, but what
quality product is?

I wasn't after cheap. I was after a workable service. Theirs wasn't. The
service I use now isn't cheap either. When I left, I'd transferred in a
paid-up free domain two months previously. They wanted 75 quid to
release it. They also refused any refund of the six months left from my
yearly payment.

The rot started when Tim had to reduce his involvement. I shall continue
to point this out publicly. Zetnet can email me if they like; knowing
them, they'll probably threaten legal action! They're good at knee-jerk
reactions.
Old May 11th 05, 02:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jaques d'Alltrades

wrote:

I used them for several years but became disgusted with them...look in
Google Groups for the full story. For example, 75 quid to move a domain
name...

I'll put it to the management - how many ISPs do *YOU* know where you
can e-mail or even phone directors or owner - AND get their attention?

I put it to the management a while ago. Appalling lack of interest -
unfocused development strategy - etc.

I have dim recollections of strife in the newsgroups. I rather think
that would have been about the time Tim (CEO) was having severe heart
problems (to which he has sadly, succumbed) and the owner's wife was
injured and permanently disabled in a motoring accident.

Things *WERE* rather disorganised, but I'm pleased to be able to report
that a tight ship is being sailed these days.

In terms of ISPs...my current ISP is just as good in that respect - in
fact a lot better.

I've always found them value for money - not dead cheap, but what
quality product is?

I wasn't after cheap. I was after a workable service. Theirs wasn't. The
service I use now isn't cheap either. When I left, I'd transferred in a
paid-up free domain two months previously. They wanted 75 quid to
release it. They also refused any refund of the six months left from my
yearly payment.

The rot started when Tim had to reduce his involvement. I shall continue
to point this out publicly. Zetnet can email me if they like; knowing
them, they'll probably threaten legal action! They're good at knee-jerk
reactions.

I doubt it. But then, I don't know much about the new CEO.