Modem or Router for Marginal Lines

Old May 10th 05, 01:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Wade

Default Modem or Router for Marginal Lines

Folks,
A friend of mine wants to order ADSL but knows he is towards the limit of
service. I.E. The ADSL checker reports only 512K service available. I know
there has been some comments that some modems perform better in these
circumstances than others, but I can't find these posts in google. So can
any one point me at a modem or router/modem that works well in these
circumstances.
TIA
Dave

Old May 10th 05, 02:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Draytek Vigor modems / routers are renown for quality and reliability, not
cheap though.
Regards,
Martin
Just a satisfied punter, two years +, no bit lost yet.

Old May 10th 05, 08:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Hurrell

Martin² wrote:
Draytek Vigor modems / routers are renown for quality and reliability, not
cheap though.
Regards,
Martin
Just a satisfied punter, two years +, no bit lost yet.

I would second that. I also know that they do a firmware specifically
for marginal lines with high attenuation.
Old May 10th 05, 09:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 10 May 2005 00:02:26 +0100, "David Wade"
wrote:

So can
any one point me at a modem or router/modem that works well in these
circumstances.

get a router so it stays on line even if the PC is off, avoids
problems at startup.

3Com seem poor at weak signals.

Phil

Old May 10th 05, 12:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

wrote:

So can
any one point me at a modem or router/modem that works well in these
circumstances.

get a router so it stays on line even if the PC is off, avoids
problems at startup.

3Com seem poor at weak signals.

Yes, I'll agree with you on that one. Something I wish I'd known a month
ago when I bought one.

Apparently the Zyxel 660HW is good with very long lines. There were a few
posts a while ago reporting success with around 10km lines.

Phil

Old May 10th 05, 09:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Wade

wrote:

So can
any one point me at a modem or router/modem that works well in these
circumstances.

get a router so it stays on line even if the PC is off, avoids
problems at startup.

3Com seem poor at weak signals.

Yes, I'll agree with you on that one. Something I wish I'd known a month
ago when I bought one.

Apparently the Zyxel 660HW is good with very long lines. There were a few
posts a while ago reporting success with around 10km lines.

Thanks Phil, I am sure that that was the one. On reading a spec on the web
it seems to be designed for long lines etc. Seems to be ADSL2 ready as well.
Nice fire wall. Looks really nice. Pity its a little topside on te price,
but I am told you get what you pay for...

Phil

Old May 13th 05, 09:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
halcyon

good modem for marginal lines.

This is a tough question.

Vigor and Zyxel modems have (imho) been good in this regard. As hav
Speedtouch models.

I'd also look into the newer ADSL2+ compliant chipsets that have a mor
tightly specified analog portion, meaning better performance unde
marginal conditions.

These include the Broadcom BCM6348 chip based modems and S
CoppwerWing12 and Centillium Palladia (400 series).

However, I don't know many products out on the market with thes
chipsets yet. Apparently Netgear DG834GT does use BCM6348, bu
otherwise it's not perhaps the cat's miaow (little memory, som
firmware issues):

--
halcyon