Plusnet no SMTP server on plus?

Old May 10th 05, 04:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dee

Default Plusnet no SMTP server on plus?

http://www.plus.net/residential/broa...features.shtml

I was looking at the above page and just realised PlusNet don't offer
SMTP for people going on their 14.99 Plus packages

Has this always been the case or a change in the last few days?

They don't block any ports ...right? So I can still use windows software
that does MX look ups or my web hosting company's SMTP server or even
Gmail's SMTP server? so I can continue to use Thunderbird / Outlook ?

Old May 10th 05, 06:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 10 May 2005 at 03:22, in uk.telecom.broadband, Dee wrote:

http://www.plus.net/residential/broa...features.shtml

I was looking at the above page and just realised PlusNet don't offer
SMTP for people going on their 14.99 Plus packages

Has this always been the case or a change in the last few days?

It's been the case since this account was announced (though they did have
dynamic IP for ADSL some years ago, this account is the only one of their
current ADSL products with a dynamic IP; PAYG / Premier have static IP).

They don't block any ports ...right? So I can still use windows software
that does MX look ups or my web hosting company's SMTP server or even
Gmail's SMTP server? so I can continue to use Thunderbird / Outlook ?

Yes, there's no problem about you sending mail, it is the delivery of mail
to the customer's IP using SMTP which is not provided, if the customer has
a dynamic IP, a feature of the Broadband Plus account. HTH. Peter.

30 day free trial... http://web.vfm-deals.com/runbox/
Old May 10th 05, 12:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spack

Dee wrote on Tue, 10 May 2005 03:22:34 +0100:

http://www.plus.net/residential/broa...features.shtml

I was looking at the above page and just realised PlusNet don't offer SMTP
for people going on their 14.99 Plus packages

Has this always been the case or a change in the last few days?

They don't block any ports ...right? So I can still use windows software
that does MX look ups or my web hosting company's SMTP server or even
Gmail's SMTP server? so I can continue to use Thunderbird / Outlook ?

They don't allow INCOMING SMTP. You can still send outgoing via their
servers. It means you can't run your own mail server on your connection -
and being a dynamic IP it'd be a pita to organise anyway.

This was confirmed by PN support in this group 5 days ago when someone else
asked about the same thing.

Dan

Old May 10th 05, 12:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spack

Spack wrote to Dee on Tue, 10 May 2005 11:16:33 +0100:

This was confirmed by PN support in this group 5 days ago when someone
else asked about the same thing.

My mistake, it was a month and 5 days ago - 5th April.

Dan

Old May 10th 05, 06:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cw

"Spack" wrote in news:3ebg02F222ffU1
@individual.net:

They don't allow INCOMING SMTP.

From what I understand it isn't that they don't allow any incoming smtp,
it is that the incoming SMTP server that PlusNet provide (autoturn) to
customers is not available to those accounts.
If you had a non PlusNet domain pointing MX records to your IP it should
still work but any PlusNet hosted domains or your @username.plus.com
address will have to be delivered POP3 rather than through autoturn.

Still a PITA to manage though :0)

--
Colin
Old May 10th 05, 08:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dee

cw wrote:
"Spack" wrote in news:3ebg02F222ffU1
@individual.net:

They don't allow INCOMING SMTP.

From what I understand it isn't that they don't allow any incoming smtp,
it is that the incoming SMTP server that PlusNet provide (autoturn) to
customers is not available to those accounts.
If you had a non PlusNet domain pointing MX records to your IP it should
still work but any PlusNet hosted domains or your @username.plus.com
address will have to be delivered POP3 rather than through autoturn.

Still a PITA to manage though :0)

Just to clarify,

I have my own newsletter which started off with me just telling friends
about things to do and see in London maybe going out 3 or 4 times a
month - but there's now about 2,000 people who get the plain text email.

So far I've been using a windows program which runs on my PC at home and
uses Pipex's DNS server and it's own SMTP server to look up each
person's email address and sends it out. On some email addresses this
doesn't work so it then uses the SMTP server at my hosting company.

I usually send out the email late at night usually after midnight.

Will this still work with the switch to Plus.net ?
Old May 10th 05, 10:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Dee wrote:
So far I've been using a windows program which runs on my PC at home and
uses Pipex's DNS server and it's own SMTP server to look up each
person's email address and sends it out. On some email addresses this
doesn't work so it then uses the SMTP server at my hosting company.

Will this still work with the switch to Plus.net ?

I would expect it to do so, yes, as PN doesn't block any ports other
than 137 & 139. (It's *not* the "no smtp" restriction you've previously
mentioned.)

Chris
Old May 10th 05, 10:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cw

Dee wrote in news:4280fd87$0
:

Will this still work with the switch to Plus.net ?

It should do as long as it doesn't send out one message with 2000
recipients otherwise it will get tarpitted and take ages to transfer.

You could look into the mailing lists that come with PlusNet accounts -
just set it up and all you have to do is send a mail to the list and let
PlusNet's servers do the work rather than your own computer.

--
Colin
Old May 11th 05, 10:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spack

cw wrote on 10 May 2005 16:50:19 GMT:

"Spack" wrote in news:3ebg02F222ffU1
@individual.net:

They don't allow INCOMING SMTP.

From what I understand it isn't that they don't allow any incoming smtp,
it is that the incoming SMTP server that PlusNet provide (autoturn) to
customers is not available to those accounts.
If you had a non PlusNet domain pointing MX records to your IP it should
still work but any PlusNet hosted domains or your @username.plus.com
address will have to be delivered POP3 rather than through autoturn.

Still a PITA to manage though :0)

If you read the post from PN support it specifically states that you get
normal incoming email to their SMTP servers, what the Advanced SMTP Delivery
"feature" refers to is running your own SMTP server. The reason it's not
supported is not that they block incoming port 25, it's that the Plus
accounts have a proper dynamic IP, so there's a chance that your IP will
change and incoming mail will be lost. With the Premier accounts you get a
static ("sticky") IP so you don't risk losing incoming mail to your own SMTP
app.

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....6a1bb99fa1d049

Read for yourself.

Dan