tesco v aol

Old May 10th 05, 09:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
mark potter

Default tesco v aol

hi all

so my exchange is due to be upgraded next month (finally) so I will be able
to get broadband

want a 512 k connection with unlimited downloads so it looks like either
tesco or aol (can only go up to 17.99 or wife will get ****ty!) so which is
better??

Old May 10th 05, 09:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
CheggersPop

hi all

so my exchange is due to be upgraded next month (finally) so I will be
able to get broadband

want a 512 k connection with unlimited downloads so it looks like either
tesco or aol (can only go up to 17.99 or wife will get ****ty!) so which
is better??

I'd avoid AOL like the plauge, so given your option I'd pick Tesco!

(".)

Old May 10th 05, 09:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stefan Kaniuk

AOL ARE FINE IF YOU WANT RELIABLE NONE DROPPING CONNECTION, YOU DONT HAVE TO
USE THERI BROWSER, USE FIREFOX OR OPERA AND YOU WILL SEE TYHAT ITS JUST AS
GOOD, JUST MINIMISE AOL AND HAVE IT RUNNING IN THE BACKGROUND. I CCANT
UNDERSTAND PEOPLES RELUCTANCR TOWARDS AOL, YEA I KNOW ITS DESIGNED FOR
PEOPLE WHO DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE INTERNET BUT IT REALLY IS, IMHO, ONE
OF THE DECENT ,RELIABLE SUPPLIERS OUT THEIR.

Old May 10th 05, 10:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Caretaker

Stefan Kaniuk wrote:
AOL

Everything in full caps, which says it all, really.

--
The Caretaker .........
Old May 10th 05, 10:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JJJJ

In article , "Stefan Kaniuk" wrote:
[...]

I;ve been using AOL for 7 years (dialup). It throws me out sometimes, not that
reliable. I would quite like the software but they are insistant on you having
it or you can bring your own, but that costs £6.99 extra a month just for an
AOL screen name and channels etc. 17.99 is a good price for what you are
getting from AOL, but I can't go with it as I have a Mac and it is too
complicated to set up AOL BB for Mac and network with a PC. MOre hassle than
its worth.

They aren't as bad as people make out, and I can't say if BB is better than
dialup for binning you in the middle of of something!!

Jules
There are two respites from the miseries of life - music and cats.
Old May 10th 05, 10:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stefan Kaniuk

Another net cop frak with a name like caretaker, you weirdo, do you think
people really listen to the likes of you.

Old May 10th 05, 10:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
§meagol

"mark potter" wrote in message
hi all

so my exchange is due to be upgraded next month (finally) so I will be

able
to get broadband

want a 512 k connection with unlimited downloads so it looks like either
tesco or aol (can only go up to 17.99 or wife will get ****ty!) so which

is
better??

Before considering a BB ISP have you thought to find out if your exchange is
being IPstream or DATAstream enabled? Depending on which it is (or both)
this will eliminate some suppliers. For instance, Tesco is DATAstream and
far less exchanges are enabled for that system.
--
§meagol

Old May 10th 05, 10:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 10 May 2005 09:17:31 +0100, "mark potter"
wrote:

want a 512 k connection with unlimited downloads so it looks like either
tesco or aol

rock and hard place.

Customer service / support of both will be similar - crap.
Tesco provided by NTL over Datastream is harder to leave and more
prone to exchange level congestion.
America Online has its famous cheeseware and non-standard approach.

Demon Home500 is £2/month more without any of the technical issues
above, but billing/acounts can be awkward at times.

Plusnet's "Broadband Plus" will give you 2M if your line will take it,
its only £14.99/month and isn't data volume limited but they manage
certain types of traffic at peak times. May get a bit congested. The
referral advertisers will be along to explain.

Phil

Old May 10th 05, 10:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 10 May 2005 09:22:20 GMT, "Stefan Kaniuk"
wrote:

do you think
people really listen to the likes of you.

more than top posting OE using capital letters shouters I guess.

Have you used AOL and speak from experience ? I see you post from an
NTL IP.

Phil

Old May 10th 05, 10:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Tue, 10 May 2005 09:08:56 UTC, The Caretaker
wrote:

Stefan Kaniuk wrote:
AOL

Everything in full caps, which says it all, really.

Well, it says most of it. The suspect grammar and spelling says the
rest!

--
[Kenism - a condition by which the sufferer experiences an inability
Usually accompanied by silly noises and gestures, and frequent use