How calculate my uploads & downloads and my capacity?

Old May 10th 05, 08:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Wood

Default How calculate my uploads & downloads and my capacity?

[Reply to uk.telecom.broadband only - I don't have access to the ntl:
newsgroups from Zen]

In message , Mister C
writes
If I use 80% of my upload bandwidth (which I think may be 64 Kbps)
then does that mean my download bandwidth (which would be 300 Kbps)
is reduced by 80%?

No.

The reason I ask this is because I am on an NTL 300 Kbps connection
(approx 33 KBytes/sec) and I notice when I am using P2P software that
my connection gets fully used up.

At those times my download rate is perhaps 8 KBytes/sec and my upload
rate is about 8 Kbytes/sec too. These seem very low values. Maybe
there is a formula I can use?

What's happening is that the ACKs for your incoming TCP traffic can't
make their way to the Internet via your fully utilised upstream. If you
have some way of prioritising the ACKs or throttling back the
application that's generating all the upstream traffic so that there's
enough bandwidth left over for the ACKs, this problem will disappear.

A good router will solve the problem, though I don't know what to
recommend, as what I'm using is rather expensive for home use.

David
--
David Wood