How calculate my uploads & downloads and my capacity?

Old May 10th 05, 11:28 PM posted to ntl.discussion.broadband.cm,uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

Default How calculate my uploads & downloads and my capacity?

On Tue, 10 May 2005 18:27:54 +0100, Mister C
wrote:

If I use 80% of my upload bandwidth (which I think may be 64 Kbps)
then does that mean my download bandwidth (which would be 300 Kbps)
is reduced by 80%?

all traffic is two-way, as each packet sent or recieved requires an
ack packet to be sent the other way. Therefore if you use up too much
of either direction, you may experience slowdown.

The reason I ask this is because I am on an NTL 300 Kbps connection
(approx 33 KBytes/sec) and I notice when I am using P2P software that
my connection gets fully used up.

bear in mind your download rate is someone elses' upload rate.