Wash Out

Old May 11th 05, 02:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

Default Wash Out

A couple of years ago I had to move out of my home due to flooding and
returned six months later following the completion of building works. At the
time I was on a dial up service with BTOpenworld Anytime and therefore was on
line again at the new address. During my exile calls to my home phone was
disconnected [I had no wish to provided a free phone service to the builder!]
with calls diverted to the temporary home.

I have no wish to repeat that stressful period every again but I was wondering
what happens these days where a Broadband connection is involved, particularly
if you are still in the minumum contract period. Does one have a dose of
penality charges, activation charges at the new address and another activation
charge on return?

As a footnote when I returned back to my address I had been DACSed but
fortunately the arrival of ADSL resolved that problem.

David Bradley
Old May 11th 05, 03:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

David Bradley wrote:
[...]

With an Anytime product it is easy to change the house you connect from as
most companies don't care where you connect. For the companies that do
attach a telephone number to anytime products it requires just a phonecall
to tell them the new number.
With ADSL it is much more difficult because ADSL is physically designated to
that particular line and many companies require a 12 month contract. Its
possible that if you were unfortunate enough to be hit by a flood again,
that you could recoup the costs of say 6 months worth of payment to isp back
out of your household insurance. Failing that, an understanding isp might
waive the rest of the years charges due to the extraordinary circumstances.

Old May 11th 05, 03:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

I have no wish to repeat that stressful period every again but I was
wondering
what happens these days where a Broadband connection is involved,
particularly
if you are still in the minumum contract period. Does one have a dose of
penality charges, activation charges at the new address and another
activation
charge on return?

Probably and I would claim from my insurers in such circumstances. Mind you
they might not be keen to pay, but if you don't ask you seldom get!

Peter Crosland

Old May 11th 05, 11:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Probably and I would claim from my insurers in such circumstances. Mind
you
they might not be keen to pay, but if you don't ask you seldom get!

I was going to say "insurance claim" myself. It it's an expense incurred
due to flood damage, then why shouldn't it be included?

The only problem I foresee is that the redirected telephone service was
voluntary and not essential to the repair/restoration of the premises.

It will depend on the wording of the particular insurance policy as to the
degree of cover. Do some googling on the principals of consequential losses
and you should see that it may be that the damage is too remote in legal
jargon.

Peter Crosland