Netgear WGE111 wifi game adapter - WPA or not?

Old May 11th 05, 06:00 PM posted to uk.games.video.xbox,uk.telecom.broadband
Fred Finisterre

Default Netgear WGE111 wifi game adapter - WPA or not?

Hi,

Looking to get a wifi game adapter with WPA security for my Xbox. I'm
getting mixed messages on whether the WGE111 has WPA or not. Some newgroup
posts suggest it has, but many retail/review sites don't mention it. Even
the manual which I downloaded from the latest firmware page on the Netgear
site doesn't mention WPA.

So, has it got it or not? And if so, why are Netgear keeping so quiet about
it?

Cheers,

Fred.

Old May 11th 05, 08:01 PM posted to uk.games.video.xbox,uk.telecom.broadband
[GLY7CH]

Fred Finisterre wrote:
Hi,

Looking to get a wifi game adapter with WPA security for my Xbox. I'm
getting mixed messages on whether the WGE111 has WPA or not. Some newgroup
posts suggest it has, but many retail/review sites don't mention it. Even
the manual which I downloaded from the latest firmware page on the Netgear
site doesn't mention WPA.

So, has it got it or not? And if so, why are Netgear keeping so quiet about
it?

Cheers,

Fred.

I understand that it DOES have it. I have a WGE101 (the previous model)
and that doesnt support WPA, only WEP. But the newer WGE111 model does,
at least thats what I have read. Im looking to get one myself to replace
the WGE101 and have WPA-PSK throughout my wireless network then.

Hope that helps.

Matt
Old May 11th 05, 08:20 PM posted to uk.games.video.xbox,uk.telecom.broadband
ItShMe

Looking to get a wifi game adapter with WPA security for my Xbox. I'm
getting mixed messages on whether the WGE111 has WPA or not. Some newgroup
posts suggest it has, but many retail/review sites don't mention it. Even
the manual which I downloaded from the latest firmware page on the Netgear
site doesn't mention WPA.

So, has it got it or not? And if so, why are Netgear keeping so quiet
about
it?

If you look on the netgear site in the install/smart wizrd info sheet, it
only shows the login details screen that shows WEP 128bit encryption.

Also on the product data sheet it lists 64 and 128 bit WEP encryption only
no WPA.

--
GT: ItShMe
Chris

Old May 12th 05, 01:54 PM posted to uk.games.video.xbox,uk.telecom.broadband
Simon

Fred Finisterre wrote:
Hi,

Looking to get a wifi game adapter with WPA security for my Xbox. I'm
getting mixed messages on whether the WGE111 has WPA or not. Some
newgroup posts suggest it has, but many retail/review sites don't
mention it. Even the manual which I downloaded from the latest
firmware page on the Netgear site doesn't mention WPA.

So, has it got it or not? And if so, why are Netgear keeping so quiet
about it?

Yep. I have one running WPA. See
http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/N101379.asp