Wireless router that will work across 2 seperate buildings?

Old May 11th 05, 09:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stevie Boy

Default Wireless router that will work across 2 seperate buildings?

I need as above which will be connected to 3 pc's. One alone in one building
and two within 12ft as the crow flies in another building. The master router
needs to be a modem/router capable of broadband which all 3 must access with
router firewall protection.

The distance apart of the two buildings are about 30/40 metres at a guess
and the signal will have to penetrate just two walls.

I'm guessing all I need is two wireless network cards and one modem/router?
Or one modem/router and two routers?

Anyone who can put me in the right direction with recommendations will be
greatly appreciated.

Steve

Old May 11th 05, 10:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 11 May 2005 20:52:06 +0100, "Stevie Boy"
wrote:

I'm guessing all I need is two wireless network cards and one modem/router?
Or one modem/router and two routers?

assuming one is wired, yes. One combined ADSL modem/router/wireless
device. You need to define "router firewall protection" to narrow down
suitable devices.

I got lost which building the broadband connection will be in, and the
12 foot crow vs the 30/40 metres. Two walls and 40 metres may be
pushing it and need directional aerials or a "wireless bridge" where a
wireless box connects to a wired LAN in the other building.

You can get externally mounting bridges, http://www.osbridge.com/ for
example.

Phil
--
Tiscali - dialup speeds at Broadband prices.
Old May 12th 05, 12:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stevie Boy

"I'm guessing all I need is two wireless network cards and one
modem/router?
Or one modem/router and two routers?

assuming one is wired, yes.

One will be wired to a pc but will be a wireless attached deviced... i.e.
avoiding cables to the other two.

One combined ADSL modem/router/wireless
device.

You got it!

You need to define "router firewall protection" to narrow down
suitable devices.

Do you mean for the *attached* device or talking about settings on the other
pc's?

I got lost which building the broadband connection will be in,

Yep sorry was clear as mud in this respect .... lol. Will be attached to one
of the two computers in the same building.... so that means the other as the
crow flies will be 12ft, same building and 30/40 metres for the third in a
different building.

Two walls and 40 metres may be pushing it

Mumbles and swears under his breath. I seem to remember seeing a wireless
router quoting upto 400 metres at line of sight and 100 metres through
walls.

I understand there are two standards for wi-fi 801.11 and 504g or something
similiar. Is one better for distance than the other?

and need directional aerials or a "wireless bridge" where a wireless box
connects to a wired LAN in the other building.
You can get externally mounting bridges, http://www.osbridge.com/ for
example.

Sounds like a solution at least but lots of work and money

Steve

Old May 12th 05, 04:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Radio signals travel in mysterious ways, there is simply no telling until
you try it.
However the signal travels well trough windows, so placing the WIFI router
on a window sill
would be a good start.
USB adapters on end of a wire (up to 5m) are much easier to place for best
signal reception,
window sills again if possible, else placing them 5' high works well (avoids
the furniture). They also work out cheaper then aerial boosters with coax
extension cables.
regards,
Martin

Old May 12th 05, 09:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 11 May 2005 23:11:07 +0100, "Stevie Boy"
wrote:

One will be wired to a pc but will be a wireless attached deviced... i.e.
avoiding cables to the other two.

you need an upgrade to your language module. One PC will be wired to
the modem/router and the other two will use wireless is I think what
you mean.

Do you mean for the *attached* device or talking about settings on the other
pc's?

you said firewalling was a must for all PCs. What sort of firewall - a
"stateful packet inspection" true firewall that inspects all the
traffic, or a NAT router that hides the PCs behind itself and can
block certain ports etc.

Mumbles and swears under his breath. I seem to remember seeing a wireless
router quoting upto 400 metres at line of sight and 100 metres through
walls.

ADSLguide reviews do practical results, see for example
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware...oyager2100.asp
near the bottom.

I managed about 250m from an access point on the outside wall of my
house but I can't get a signal outside next doors kitchen about 25m
away when the AP is in the house. With directional antennae the same
kit worked over 1.5 km across the valley.

I understand there are two standards for wi-fi 801.11 and 504g or something
similiar. Is one better for distance than the other?

802.11b and 802.11g use the same power and frequency therefore have
the same range. At the shorter ranges 802.11g gives higher speeds - up
to 4 times faster if its in the same room. 802.11a uses higher
frequency is less common / more expensive and has shorter range.

Sounds like a solution at least but lots of work and money

a cheaper bridge is something like a Linksys WET11
http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...prid=432&grid=

this could sit in a window or a weatherproof enclosure and be wired
back to the PC if necessary. Antenna and other useful stuff at
http://www.solwise.co.uk/networkingwireless.htm

Best bet is to get a wireless modem/router as it will serve the wired
and the close PC without much doubt, then do a site survey with a
laptop to see what the distant one will need.

Phil
--
Tiscali - dialup speeds at Broadband prices.
Old May 12th 05, 02:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AnthonyL

wrote:

I need as above which will be connected to 3 pc's. One alone in one building
and two within 12ft as the crow flies in another building. The master router
needs to be a modem/router capable of broadband which all 3 must access with
router firewall protection.

The distance apart of the two buildings are about 30/40 metres at a guess
and the signal will have to penetrate just two walls.

I'm guessing all I need is two wireless network cards and one modem/router?
Or one modem/router and two routers?

Anyone who can put me in the right direction with recommendations will be
greatly appreciated.

I've recently connected home to office - approx 400m line of sight
using home made "pringle cantenna's" and 2 x Linksys WAP54G in bridge
mode.

Speed is modest (about .8mbits/sec) but ok for internet access. Apart
from antenna design the other major point which I would change if
doing it again is to reduce aerial cable losses by using the best
cable and even shorter runs than I have even if it meens externally
mounting the Wireless boxes.

I'd be tempted to use ethernet cable internally as much as practical
to get to an access point or get the "one alone" to the bridge. I
have a DLink access point at home hard wired into the bridge.

--
AnthonyL
Old May 12th 05, 08:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Thu, 12 May 2005 18:35:42 +0100, Peter M
wrote:

Any URLs for further info, please ?

http://www.seattlewireless.net/index...inglesCantenna

however the pringles tube is the wrong size really so have a look at
http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/has.html
http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/cantennahowto.html

Phil
--
Tiscali - dialup speeds at Broadband prices.
Old May 13th 05, 09:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stevie Boy

you said firewalling was a must for all PCs. What sort of firewall - a
"stateful packet inspection" true firewall that inspects all the
traffic, or a NAT router that hides the PCs behind itself and can
block certain ports etc.

Considering the people who will be using it a Spi would be best but to avoid
confusion a NAT I think would make life a lot easier with the already
McAffee internet security installed.

ADSLguide reviews do practical results, see for example
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware...oyager2100.asp
near the bottom.

Thanks.

a cheaper bridge is something like a Linksys WET11
http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...prid=432&grid=

This would I take it connect to a pci network card from the main pc with
router/modem?

this could sit in a window or a weatherproof enclosure and be wired
back to the PC if necessary. Antenna and other useful stuff at
http://www.solwise.co.uk/networkingwireless.htm

Best bet is to get a wireless modem/router as it will serve the wired
and the close PC without much doubt, then do a site survey with a
laptop to see what the distant one will need.

I just had another thought..... the 30/40 metre span is across a car park
where from time to time the signal could get interrupted from parked or
moving vehicles so I guess a height of 5 or 6ft would be necessary.

Steve

Old May 14th 05, 12:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 13 May 2005 20:51:00 +0100, "Stevie Boy"
wrote:

Considering the people who will be using it a Spi would be best but to avoid
confusion a NAT I think would make life a lot easier with the already
McAffee internet security installed.

quite a few devcies have SPI firewalls, not really an extra cost item.

a cheaper bridge is something like a Linksys WET11
http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...prid=432&grid=

This would I take it connect to a pci network card from the main pc with
router/modem?

wireless router --- WET 11 --- PC network card

its a way of getting the wireless bit in a good place and wiring it
back to the PC as an ethernet connection. An antenna cable or USB
wireless NIC are alternatives.

"main pc" is just another client of router, wired IIRC.

I just had another thought..... the 30/40 metre span is across a car park
where from time to time the signal could get interrupted from parked or
moving vehicles so I guess a height of 5 or 6ft would be necessary.

10 or 12ft would keep it out of the way. You don't want anyone
stealing your antenna either. I have used wifi across a street from
table top level and it is influenced by traffic but not knocked out.

Phil
--
Tiscali - dialup speeds at Broadband prices.