How calculate my uploads & downloads and my capacity?

Old May 12th 05, 06:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clansman

Default How calculate my uploads & downloads and my capacity?

On Tue, 10 May 2005 18:27:54 +0100, Mister C
wrote:

If I use 80% of my upload bandwidth (which I think may be 64 Kbps)
then does that mean my download bandwidth (which would be 300 Kbps)
is reduced by 80%?

The reason I ask this is because I am on an NTL 300 Kbps connection
(approx 33 KBytes/sec) and I notice when I am using P2P software that
my connection gets fully used up.

At those times my download rate is perhaps 8 KBytes/sec and my upload
rate is about 8 Kbytes/sec too. These seem very low values. Maybe
there is a formula I can use?

You didn't say which P2P you use?

On Blueyonder, my d/load is 512Kbps but the upload speed for this service is
only 128Kbps (note the small `b') And most ISP's use different download/upload
speeds. Now a 128Kbps will give you an max KBps (note the large `b')
upload speed of 128 x 1000 (bits per second) / 8 = 16KBytes per second. This
is the maxium possible, but allowing for overheads etc, I rarely ever see more
than about a 10/11 KBps upload speed.

It's well known on BYonder, if you're using bittorrent then you've got to
limit the number of connections as the default, will grind your modem/system
to a halt as they try to cope with the growing number of connections from
other peers.

also on bittorrent, your download is proportional to your upload, so with an
upload of about 10KBps you won't see what you think of as your full download
capability.

I have no erperience of other P2P progs, but your prog docs should be able to
explain what the progs capabilities are.

Clansman