A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) (uk.telecom.broadband) Discussion of broadband services, technology and equipment as provided in the UK. Discussions of specific services based on ADSL, cable modems or other broadband technology are also on-topic. Advertising is not allowed.

Noise and Attenuation figures...are these OK?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old May 13th 05, 10:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 26
Default Noise and Attenuation figures...are these OK?

Hi all

My 3com wireless router is reporting the following figures.

Upstream Downstream

Noise Margin
22 dB 9 dB

Output Power
12 dBm 17.5 dBm

Attenuation
31.5 dB 59 dB


These are on a 1Mb link with the exchange being about 2.5km from the
house.

Are these OK as I suspect the Downstream figures are a little off?

TIA

Harry
  #2  
Old May 13th 05, 11:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 127
Default Noise and Attenuation figures...are these OK?


"Harry" wrote in message
...
Hi all

My 3com wireless router is reporting the following figures.

Upstream Downstream

Noise Margin
22 dB 9 dB

Output Power
12 dBm 17.5 dBm

Attenuation
31.5 dB 59 dB


These are on a 1Mb link with the exchange being about 2.5km from the
house.

Are these OK as I suspect the Downstream figures are a little off?

TIA

Harry


My downstream is 63dB with 11dB SNR margin. Yours arn't much different so I
suspect they are about right.


  #3  
Old May 13th 05, 11:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,720
Default Noise and Attenuation figures...are these OK?

On Fri, 13 May 2005 09:40:42 +0100, Harry wrote:

Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin
22 dB 9 dB
Output Power
12 dBm 17.5 dBm
Attenuation
31.5 dB 59 dB

These are on a 1Mb link with the exchange being about 2.5km from the
house.


the attenuation points to a line length more like 6km, which is not
impossible with "round the houses" routing.

Noise margin is OK, 59 dB is about BT's limit for 1M.

You would expect maybe a bit more margin, Dave gets 63 + 11 = 74
whereas you have 59 + 9 = 68 so 6 dB more of noise (assuming Dave is
also on 1M, if he's on 512k that explains the difference).

Phil
--
Tiscali - dialup speeds at Broadband prices.
AOL - the unlimited ISP of choice for heavy downloaders.
  #4  
Old May 13th 05, 12:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 26
Default Noise and Attenuation figures...are these OK?

On Fri, 13 May 2005 10:14:40 +0100, Phil Thompson
wrote:

On Fri, 13 May 2005 09:40:42 +0100, Harry wrote:

Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin
22 dB 9 dB
Output Power
12 dBm 17.5 dBm
Attenuation
31.5 dB 59 dB

These are on a 1Mb link with the exchange being about 2.5km from the
house.


the attenuation points to a line length more like 6km, which is not
impossible with "round the houses" routing.

Noise margin is OK, 59 dB is about BT's limit for 1M.

You would expect maybe a bit more margin, Dave gets 63 + 11 = 74
whereas you have 59 + 9 = 68 so 6 dB more of noise (assuming Dave is
also on 1M, if he's on 512k that explains the difference).

Phil

Is their anything I can do at my end to improve these figures?
Specific cabling, siting, filters etc? Or is this just something I
have to live with?

cheers

Harry
  #5  
Old May 13th 05, 12:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 50
Default Noise and Attenuation figures...are these OK?

Harry wrote in :

Is their anything I can do at my end to improve these figures?
Specific cabling, siting, filters etc? Or is this just something I
have to live with?


Try the connection directly in the master socket (if you have a master
socket with a removable lower section, remove that and plug it into the
socket behind). If the figures are the same then you're unlikely to get
any better stats.

--
Phil
http://www.philipchung.co.uk/
  #6  
Old May 13th 05, 12:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,720
Default Noise and Attenuation figures...are these OK?

On Fri, 13 May 2005 11:07:58 +0100, Harry wrote:

Is their anything I can do at my end to improve these figures?
Specific cabling, siting, filters etc? Or is this just something I
have to live with?


try it in the test socket first, that tells you what arrives at your
premises.

Use a BT to RJ11 adaptor to plug into the back socket shown at
http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_faceplate.htm#part3 than there is
no extensions or filters in the system.

If there is a big difference is results (margin may be better) then
you can try putting a microfilter between the back test socket and the
front plate, with the modem plugged into that filter. This simulates a
faceplate filter, which is the neat solution.

But if its not broke, don't try to fix it :-)

Phil
--
Tiscali - dialup speeds at Broadband prices.
AOL - the unlimited ISP of choice for heavy downloaders.
  #7  
Old May 13th 05, 12:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 127
Default Noise and Attenuation figures...are these OK?


"Phil Thompson" wrote in message
...
On Fri, 13 May 2005 09:40:42 +0100, Harry wrote:

Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin
22 dB 9 dB
Output Power
12 dBm 17.5 dBm
Attenuation
31.5 dB 59 dB

These are on a 1Mb link with the exchange being about 2.5km from the
house.


the attenuation points to a line length more like 6km, which is not
impossible with "round the houses" routing.

Noise margin is OK, 59 dB is about BT's limit for 1M.

You would expect maybe a bit more margin, Dave gets 63 + 11 = 74
whereas you have 59 + 9 = 68 so 6 dB more of noise (assuming Dave is
also on 1M, if he's on 512k that explains the difference).


Yep, I'm syncing at 512k.


Phil
--
Tiscali - dialup speeds at Broadband prices.
AOL - the unlimited ISP of choice for heavy downloaders.



  #8  
Old May 13th 05, 12:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 26
Default Noise and Attenuation figures...are these OK?

On Fri, 13 May 2005 10:20:47 +0000 (UTC), Phil
wrote:

Harry wrote in :

Is their anything I can do at my end to improve these figures?
Specific cabling, siting, filters etc? Or is this just something I
have to live with?


Try the connection directly in the master socket (if you have a master
socket with a removable lower section, remove that and plug it into the
socket behind). If the figures are the same then you're unlikely to get
any better stats.

I will try it tonight and get back to you on Monday.

cheers

Harry
  #9  
Old May 13th 05, 12:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 26
Default Noise and Attenuation figures...are these OK?

On Fri, 13 May 2005 11:21:21 +0100, Phil Thompson
wrote:

On Fri, 13 May 2005 11:07:58 +0100, Harry wrote:

Is their anything I can do at my end to improve these figures?
Specific cabling, siting, filters etc? Or is this just something I
have to live with?


try it in the test socket first, that tells you what arrives at your
premises.

Use a BT to RJ11 adaptor to plug into the back socket shown at
http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_faceplate.htm#part3 than there is
no extensions or filters in the system.

If there is a big difference is results (margin may be better) then
you can try putting a microfilter between the back test socket and the
front plate, with the modem plugged into that filter. This simulates a
faceplate filter, which is the neat solution.

But if its not broke, don't try to fix it :-)

Phil

I will check it all out tonight..

cheers

Harry
  #10  
Old May 13th 05, 02:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 237
Default Noise and Attenuation figures...are these OK?

Phil Thompson wrote:
On Fri, 13 May 2005 09:40:42 +0100, Harry wrote:

Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin
22 dB 9 dB
Output Power
12 dBm 17.5 dBm
Attenuation
31.5 dB 59 dB

These are on a 1Mb link with the exchange being about 2.5km from the
house.


the attenuation points to a line length more like 6km, which is not
impossible with "round the houses" routing.


Yes I have the same problem here. The exchange is only about 3km away but
the way the pipes are laid it is over 6km

Noise margin is OK, 59 dB is about BT's limit for 1M.


Both my routers have both said my line has 59db but BT insist it is 62-63 so
I cannot get 1M



 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Noise, attenuation and CRC figures? pete devlin uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 4 May 14th 05 12:25 AM
Noise, attenuation and CRC figures? Grant uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 7 April 26th 05 05:54 PM
Noise, attenuation and CRC figures? John uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 0 April 24th 05 11:46 AM
Noise, attenuation and CRC figures? Mogweed uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 0 April 23rd 05 11:31 AM
Noise and attenuation Geoff Venn uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 12 September 27th 04 12:14 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2019 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.