NTL Dial up

Old May 13th 05, 02:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Andrews

Default NTL Dial up

Do NTL provide a dial up number for their broadband users to use when away
from home (Telewest do) or when the broadband connection fails.

Peter

Old May 13th 05, 02:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 13 May 2005 12:27 GMT, "Peter Andrews" wrote:

Do NTL provide a dial up number for their broadband users to use when away
from home (Telewest do) or when the broadband connection fails.

I would tend to doubt it. From past usage, and looking at ISP sites like
Tesco.net (which is run behind the scenes by NTL) there's been no option
for an 0845 PAYG service - perhaps using an 0845 accessed from a BT line
was less profitable/flexible than using their own service/network and at
the time I used their dial-up the facility was part of their 3-2-1p call
service (where voice calls were on that sliding scale, depending on what
time/day the call was made, and internet access was 1p/min at all times)
using 1280 [from memory] as the prefix into their network... Since they
used the prefix, there was a need for pre-registration and payments from
the customer to be arranged, and so no 0845 option was needed or existed
AFAIK. Looking recently at Tesco.Net, it struck me that even their PAYG
was not an 0845 but again needed this pre-registration/billing setup for
it to be usable, making a call 'from any line' on 0845 impossible. PGM.

30 day free trial... http://web.vfm-deals.com/runbox/
Old May 13th 05, 03:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Cheney

Peter M wrote in
. 87:

On 13 May 2005 12:27 GMT, "Peter Andrews" wrote:

Do NTL provide a dial up number for their broadband users to use when
away from home (Telewest do) or when the broadband connection fails.

I would tend to doubt it. From past usage, and looking at ISP sites
like Tesco.net (which is run behind the scenes by NTL) there's been no
option for an 0845 PAYG service - perhaps using an 0845 accessed from a

FWIW I took up Tesco broadband last October and they provided "Dialup
connection details (ADSL account backup details)" - an 0845 number with the
comment "This service is provided as a BACKUP access in case of broadband
failure, or for roaming access via other telephone lines."

Of course what they do now may differ.
Old May 13th 05, 03:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 13 May 2005 13:09 GMT, Chris Cheney wrote:

an 0845 number with the comment "This service is provided as
a BACKUP access in case of broadband failure, or for roaming
access via other telephone lines."

Thanks for that - I am happy to learn of that development. Maybe
it was a result of customer enquiries, perhaps via Tesco stores
(rather than direct to 'Tesco.net' = ntl: staff). Peter M.

30 day free trial... http://web.vfm-deals.com/runbox/
Old May 13th 05, 04:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Scott

Peter M wrote:
On 13 May 2005 13:09 GMT, Chris Cheney wrote:

an 0845 number with the comment "This service is provided as
a BACKUP access in case of broadband failure, or for roaming
access via other telephone lines."

Thanks for that - I am happy to learn of that development. Maybe
it was a result of customer enquiries, perhaps via Tesco stores
(rather than direct to 'Tesco.net' = ntl: staff). Peter M.

I'm puzzled. I've had a tesco payg/0845 account for years now. Works
fine as backup for ntlworld, although for some reason they'll only give
new accounts for BT numbers.

To answer the OP's original question, no, ntl do *not* provide backup
dial-in access for bb users - the only option is to pay full whack (14
iirc) in addition to cable rental.

various domains listed at www.scottsonline.org.uk
Mike Scott Harlow Essex England.(unet -a-t- scottsonline.org.uk)
Old May 13th 05, 09:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike NG

On Fri, 13 May 2005 at 13:09:23, Chris Cheney (Chris Cheney
%no%spam%please) wrote:
FWIW I took up Tesco broadband last October and they provided "Dialup
connection details (ADSL account backup details)" - an 0845 number with the
comment "This service is provided as a BACKUP access in case of broadband
failure, or for roaming access via other telephone lines."

I'm with F2S, and have tested the contigency dialup number to use when
broadband is down, and it worked fine
--
Mike