NTL World and Free SMTP Server

Old May 13th 05, 09:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AMO

Default NTL World and Free SMTP Server

Is it possible to setup an Email Server on NTL Broadband?

I can get this working on PlusNet, but can't seem to get it working on NTL.

Do they allow this?

Thanx.

AMO

Old May 14th 05, 12:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PJB

"AMO" [email protected] wrote in message
Is it possible to setup an Email Server on NTL Broadband?

I can get this working on PlusNet, but can't seem to get it working on

NTL.

Do they allow this?

they certainlt do on their cable broadband offering ;-)

P.

Old May 15th 05, 10:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AMO

"PJB" wrote in message
they certainlt do on their cable broadband offering ;-)

P.

I can't seem to get this working on my friend's broadband connection.

I have tried using Primary DNS Setting: 194.168.4.100 and also auto-detect
which detects the same thing.

Currently on port 25.

Are the above settings correct? Is there anything else I need to know?

Thanx.

AMO

Old May 15th 05, 10:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
zaax

In article , AMO
writes
"PJB" wrote in message
they certainlt do on their cable broadband offering ;-)

P.

I can't seem to get this working on my friend's broadband connection.

I have tried using Primary DNS Setting: 194.168.4.100 and also auto-detect
which detects the same thing.

Currently on port 25.

Are the above settings correct? Is there anything else I need to know?

I think NTL block port 25.

Ask at http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/index.php?
--
Zaax
http://www.ukgatsos.com
Old May 15th 05, 10:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AMO

"zaax" wrote in message
I think NTL block port 25.

Ask at http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/index.php?
--
Zaax
http://www.ukgatsos.com

Thanx for that Zaax. ;0)

AMO

Old May 16th 05, 10:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Carlos Arruda

"AMO" [email protected] wrote in message
Is it possible to setup an Email Server on NTL Broadband?

I can get this working on PlusNet, but can't seem to get it working on
NTL.

Do they allow this?

Thanx.

AMO

well my e-mail server is working properly so far
http://www.arruda.tzo.com/emailarchitect/

don't forget that ntl doesn't provide you with a static IP address so you
need DNS resolution, I'm getting it for a trial and they seem alright from
www.tzo.org.

hope it helps
carlos

Old May 16th 05, 10:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Carlos Arruda

"AMO" [email protected] wrote in message
Is it possible to setup an Email Server on NTL Broadband?

I can get this working on PlusNet, but can't seem to get it working on
NTL.

Do they allow this?

Thanx.

AMO

forgot to say that if you'd like to try my e-mail server at

http://www.arruda.tzo.com/emailarchitect/

you can use username and password = tests

take care
carlos

Old May 16th 05, 10:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 16 May 2005 08:23:43 GMT, "Carlos Arruda"
wrote:

forgot to say that if you'd like to try my e-mail server at
http://www.arruda.tzo.com/emailarchitect/

would this be advertising in a non-advertising group ?

Phil
--
Tiscali - dialup speeds at Broadband prices.
Old May 17th 05, 01:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

In article ,
AMO [email protected] wrote:
I have tried using Primary DNS Setting: 194.168.4.100 and also auto-detect
which detects the same thing.

Currently on port 25.

Are the above settings correct? Is there anything else I need to know?

You should be getting DNS settings via DHCP, and 194.168.4/8.100 are
right. The thing is, this has nothing at all to do with running an SMTP
server, so do be careful that you know what you are doing. ntl: runs
automated scans for open SMTP servers and will cut the connection if they
find one.

That said, they do NOT block inbound port 25 so you can run an SMTP
server, but only responsibly :-)

Zane.
Old May 17th 05, 01:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AMO

wrote in message ...
You should be getting DNS settings via DHCP, and 194.168.4/8.100 are
right. The thing is, this has nothing at all to do with running an SMTP
server, so do be careful that you know what you are doing. ntl: runs
automated scans for open SMTP servers and will cut the connection if they
find one.

That said, they do NOT block inbound port 25 so you can run an SMTP
server, but only responsibly :-)

Zane.

Well, for some reason my friend's PC connected to NTL doesn't work with Free
SMTP Server. Had someone respond that it was because NTL assign dynamic IP
addresses. My friend is on the 25 / month 2Mb broadband package.

I'll give it a few more tries and then just give up I think.

AMO