Tiscali Unlimited 1M Service. What a joke!

Old May 13th 05, 09:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
EddySon

Default Tiscali Unlimited 1M Service. What a joke!

I am sure that I am not the only person who has just recieved a letter from
Tiscali stating that "Your Broadband Internet usage has been highlightted as
being extaordinarily high and may be affecting the service we provide to
other users"

To cut a long story short, although I thought I had an "uncapped" usage
service from Tiscali it apprears that they reserve the right under clauses
5.9 and 13.2.4. to terminate for account for exsesive use. I am sure you
have all read those claused in the small print.

Tiscal seem to consider an "excessive user" to be anyone who's monthly total
(upload and download)consumption exceeds 30Gb! I am sure you will all agree
that that figure can easily be exceeded if someone in the house is into
on-line games and maybe streaming audio/video usage, which lets face it may
be reason most of us chose to get broadband in the first place.

I do of course, thank you very much Tiscali for letting me have the option
of cancelling my contract straight away with no obligations.

This all stinks to me, it's obvious that Tiscali would like to get rid of
users who exceed 30Gb so they can retain "low power" users to try and
maintain their lousy contention ratios e.g. Lets have 1000 "low power"
subscribers rather than 500 "higher power" users, we make twice as much
money!

Sorry about the tone of this posting but I am mega angry at the moment
having been a loyal Tiscali man since they started several years ago.

All I want to do now is change my ISP to someone who cares. I would be very
grateful for suggestions. I don't even mind paying more than my current
25.00 per month.

Yours Mr AntiTicsali Man

Old May 13th 05, 09:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Ough

"EddySon" wrote in message

All I want to do now is change my ISP to someone who cares. I would be

very
grateful for suggestions. I don't even mind paying more than my current
25.00 per month.

Pipex Solo 1000 is 23.44 for 1MBit, and Pipex Solo 2000 is 33.99 for
2MBit.

If you have your ADSL equipment already, you get months 2 and 3 free.

Best bit is that's totally unlimited. No cap, no FUP, nothing!

If you are interested, email me as there is a referrer program available.

Remove obvious spamtrap.

Simon

Old May 13th 05, 10:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

EddySon wrote:
I am sure that I am not the only person who has just recieved a
letter from Tiscali stating that "Your Broadband Internet usage has
been highlightted as being extaordinarily high and may be affecting
the service we provide to other users"

Have Piscali given you any choices on what to do next?

Old May 13th 05, 10:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Hi,

Same thing happened to me....,

Few weeks ago got a nice letter from Tiscali saying they were upgrading
me from 500kbps to 1mb broadband link at no additional charge -
great!!!

Today got a letter saying that my usuage was too high, I'm spoiling
things for other users and if this high level of usuage continues they
will terminate my agreement without notice.

Thing is, I'm not sure what to do next...., shall I stop using it?
Shall I keep using it and wait to get cut off at some point and then
look for another service? I think in their letter they say they don't
do migration codes.

Confused!!!

Good luck!

Old May 13th 05, 11:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stevie Boy

This all stinks to me, it's obvious that Tiscali would like to get rid of
users who exceed 30Gb so they can retain "low power" users to try and
maintain their lousy contention ratios e.g. Lets have 1000 "low power"
subscribers rather than 500 "higher power" users, we make twice as much
money!

Try Zen who will be doing a 2Mbit service from June for 34.99 no contention
and uncapped.

Steve

Old May 14th 05, 12:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dr Teeth

On Fri, 13 May 2005 20:36:12 +0100, "EddySon"
wrote:

All I want to do now is change my ISP to someone who cares. I would be very
grateful for suggestions. I don't even mind paying more than my current
25.00 per month.

AIUI, you cannot migrate from Tiscali (datastream) to another ISP that
uses IPstream (vast majority) so you will have to cancel Tiscali and
wait until that is done, then apply to another ISP.

Means a longish break in service whereas a migration does not involve
any break.

--
Cheers,

Guy

Old May 14th 05, 12:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 13 May 2005 20:47:33 +0100, "Simon Ough"
wrote:

Best bit is that's totally unlimited. No cap, no FUP, nothing!

at the moment.

If you are interested, email me as there is a referrer program available.

groan.

Phil
--
Tiscali - dialup speeds at Broadband prices.
Old May 14th 05, 01:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Arbiter

"EddySon" wrote in message
[...]

How else are they going to make enough money to pay for all
those expensive TV adverts?

Are we learning yet?

Old May 14th 05, 08:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 13 May 2005 23:02, Dr Teeth wrote:

AIUI, you cannot migrate from Tiscali (datastream) to another ISP that
uses IPstream (vast majority) so you will have to cancel Tiscali and
wait until that is done, then apply to another ISP.

Such migrations are now possible (on a BT trial) from DataStream to IP
Stream but the problem will be getting a MAC from the current ISP.

Metronet and Freedom2Surf are both accepting migrations but to do so needs
the 'losing' ISP to issue a MAC. Time for complaints to Ofcom that (some,
if not all) DataStream ISPs are making life awkward and costly for their
(ex-)customers by not making use of the MAC system. Peter M.

--
Plus.Net http://tinyurl.com/5jpa4
I recommend them and save some cash.

Old May 14th 05, 10:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
EddySon

Yes indeed Peter, you are quite right Tiscali will NOT release the MAC
address, more cost and agro. Nevermind they could offer me
a 10Tb download limit and I would still change ISP,s
How much internet downtime am I looking at Peter if I don't have the MAC
address between cancelling with Tiscali and joining another ISP?
I suppose the new ISP will also levy a connection fee if I don't have the
MAC address, is this correct.

Thanks Mr AntiTiscali

. 88...