ALDI ADSL Router

Old May 14th 05, 09:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Wade

Default ALDI ADSL Router

Folks,
Any one any comments about the above router? Any one tried it. I guess their
support in case of "hope and pray"
Dave
g4ugm

Old May 14th 05, 10:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 14 May 2005 20:53, "David Wade" wrote:

Any one any comments about the above router? Any one tried it. I
guess their support in case of "hope and pray"

First post I've seen about it. Let us know how well it works :-) As for
support, some time ago (years - when they didn't accept plastic - only cash
for payments) they carried Medion PCs. Before someone I knew bought one of
them, she rang to ask some questions... 0800 number which was terminated in
Germany and very friendly tech support staff, from her conversations... It
might be worth asking if they have a contact number for this unit. PGM.

30 day free trial... http://web.vfm-deals.com/runbox/
Old May 14th 05, 10:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

"David Wade" wrote in message
Folks,
Any one any comments about the above router? Any one tried it. I guess

their
support in case of "hope and pray"
Dave
g4ugm

I haven't seen it, is this the beast?

http://snipurl.com/ewcm

if so can you post a better link, that one is from Googles cache.

--
73,Graham G3ZVT

%Profound_observation%

Old May 15th 05, 10:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Wade

"Graham" wrote in message

"David Wade" wrote in message
Folks,
Any one any comments about the above router? Any one tried it. I guess

their
support in case of "hope and pray"
Dave
g4ugm

I haven't seen it, is this the beast?

http://snipurl.com/ewcm

if so can you post a better link, that one is from Googles cache.

Thats the beast. I have only every seen that photo...

--
73,Graham G3ZVT

%Profound_observation%

Old May 16th 05, 01:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Russell

Thats the beast. I have only every seen that photo...

For the same price you can get the D-Link 904 wireless router and usb
wireless adapter from PC World. I got it at easter and it's a cracking bit
of kit. Got it as a replacement for a Netgear router that had been giving me
problems.

http://tinyurl.com/bd7jm

Russell

--

Do You Free Goo?? www.freegoo.co.uk

Old May 16th 05, 01:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Murphy

"Russell" wrote in message
Thats the beast. I have only every seen that photo...

For the same price you can get the D-Link 904 wireless router and usb
wireless adapter from PC World. I got it at easter and it's a cracking bit
of kit. Got it as a replacement for a Netgear router that had been giving
me
problems.

http://tinyurl.com/bd7jm

Russell

That Aldi unit includes a built in 56 k modem though for a back-up
connection - this capability is missing from the D-Link bundle.

Paul

Old May 16th 05, 11:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

David Wade wrote:

Any one any comments about the above router? Any one tried it.

I've heard 2nd hand from someone who bought one for their father that it
works well ...
Old May 19th 05, 02:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joe Amor

I have bought this Wireless router. It connects not as USB but through the
ethernet connection. I too cannot get the ADSL connection to work. When I
connect to Tiscali broadband through there USB supplied broadband modem that
works fine. Also I know that the Ethernet connection works as I have been
able to dial up the 56 k modem and that works ok through the ethernet.

I have gone through Medions 192.168.0.100 connection to get the router setup
connections installed. When I attempt to enter the Tiscasli Broadband
information the ADSL flashes but after submitting these parameters the
status still shows no connection. Thinking that I had a faulty Router I sent
it back to Aldi and they exchanged it for a new one. However there was no
improvement, just showed the same problems.

So after trying many options I was forced to phone Medion through I think
the Ireland number. The other number can be expensive (I was on the phone
for 50 mins) its an 0870 number which is possible 10p a minute. So with my
policy for say NO to 0870 I used the Ireland number and got transfered
through to the hotline. Also I use 18866 so the whole phone call cost 2p!

Well apart from the saving Medion tried various settings and were totally
baffled by the problem. They said that they would enter the problem as a
special case and try to get back to me in a day or so. I dont want to give
up this router. The price and the scope of functions appeal to me and I
think that it is getting to be a bit of a a challenge to me now to get this
problem sorted. If others no of a way of solving this problem then their
rewards will surely be given in heaven. There appears to be some problem
with this router as it has shown to give problems on others ISP's. I am
begining to think that there is a generic problem with this particular
Router

So I will wait now and see what Medion have to say and hopefully report
back. By the way the number I phoned was 01793 815699

Regards to all Martin

Old May 19th 05, 08:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Murphy

"Joe Amor" wrote in message
[...]

snip

I've never used Tiscali as an ISP so I don't know what requirements they
have (if any) for connection hardware but have you tried contacting them
about it (I'm assuming they have a tech support dept - or is it one of those
premium rate numbers which charges much more than 2p for a 50 minute call)?
I believe there are (or at least used to be) some ISPs that need MAC
addresses for connecting hardware. Can Tiscali ping your router (using ADSL)
successfully from their end? Additionally, how long after saving/submitting
the correct parameters did you wait before attempting to use the
connection - some routers take quite a while to get ready after this so I'd
give it a minute of two to settle down before trying to load any webpages.

What did Medion say about the router having problems on other ISPs - perhaps
users of those ISPs with these routers can confirm or deny their claims? I'd
be very surprised if there are widespread compatibility issues with them and
I agree that they seem to offer a great selection of features for a good
price.

Paul

Old May 20th 05, 10:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John DH

Have you tried looking at
http://www.tiscali.co.uk/help/broadband/install.html
or search for router in the broadband help section of tiscali. I took all
day to get my D-Link up and running before I found this info. I also had to
do a firmware upgrade to my router. Check your network card settings. I
don't think there is a problem with tiscali if the supplied modem works.

BTW the D-Link router works well and a blindingly fast connection to
tiscali.

John D