plus net website

Old May 15th 05, 07:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Well_i_Wonder

Default plus net website

Can someone tell me where on the plusnet site I can find important info such
as monthly limits etc?? I've been on there for half an hour and can't seem
to find anything which makes me wonder if they're trying to hide something?!

From reading this group I was under the impression they're pretty good? Any
alternatives suggested? I'm looking at paying no more than 22 a month with
no set up fees for the highest monthly limit.

Old May 15th 05, 07:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Chung

On 15 May 2005, Well_i_Wonder uttered the following:

Can someone tell me where on the plusnet site I can find important info such
as monthly limits etc?? I've been on there for half an hour and can't seem
to find anything which makes me wonder if they're trying to hide something?!

It's uncapped right now, but they will take action on excessive users.
What that means is unclear.

From reading this group I was under the impression they're pretty good? Any
alternatives suggested? I'm looking at paying no more than 22 a month with
no set up fees for the highest monthly limit.

I found them pretty reliable, though I've just migrated to UK Online LLU
product.

--
Be alert...the world needs more lerts
Old May 15th 05, 07:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

Phil Chung wrote:
On 15 May 2005, Well_i_Wonder uttered the following:

From reading this group I was under the impression they're [Plus Net] pretty good? Any
alternatives suggested? I'm looking at paying no more than 22 a month with
no set up fees for the highest monthly limit.

I found them pretty reliable, though I've just migrated to UK Online LLU
product.

Out of interest how are they, and how smooth was the migration ?

--
Mark
Old May 15th 05, 07:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Chung

On 15 May 2005, Mark Carver uttered the following:

Out of interest how are they, and how smooth was the migration ?

For me it was a very smooth migration. I was activated on Thursday, a
day earlier than expected. My sync speeds are between 3.9Mbps and
4.2Mbps (currently 4.2Mbps). I'm experiencing a couple of disconnects
during the day (mainly in the middle of the night), but I've not really
noticed the disconnects at all. I'm still waiting for the free router.
That may hold sync better on my line (low SNR and 55dB attenuation) than
my aging D-Link router (dating from 2001). I've had about 460KB/sec
download from the link and the faster upload (512Kbps including
overheads) is very handy indeed.

--
Pluto Neptune Uranus Saturn Jupiter Mars Earth Venus Mercury Sun
. o o o O . . . . /\
Old May 15th 05, 08:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 15 May 2005 18:19, "Well_i_Wonder" wrote:

Can someone tell me where on the plusnet site I can find important info such
as monthly limits etc?

Three accounts, PAYG is the only one with fixed traffic quota. Broadband
Plus has no limit, but certain types of traffic (USENET / peer-to-peer to
be specific) get lower priority and Plus.Net recommends the Premier 21.99
account if you are a heavier user anyway. Without knowing what level of
traffic you are looking for it is difficult to know what's best...

If you use the connection at higher traffic levels at peak periods, as if
was a 5:1 to 1:1 connection, then you will probably asked to modify usage
or consider another ISP, on the Premier account. To reach 5:1 needs very
many GB a month - 40-50 GB which many would consider "high" should not be
a problem, and if using the connection heavily, overnight, should need no
concern from the user at all. No doubt there will be other ISPs defining
absolute limits, while Plus.Net staff have stated they haven't used fixed
limits so there is some flexibilty if they have to review usage on an a/c
(some might claim this is deliberately done to be able to change it later
but setting no specific limits seems clear enough to me as flexible... if
you want some ISP which has a limit and then either stops traffic, or put
your traffic throughput down to some lower level, blueleafinternet.com is
one which does this (21.99+VAT for the Broadband eXtra up to 2000 kbps).

--
Plus.Net http://tinyurl.com/5jpa4
I recommend them and save some cash.

Old May 15th 05, 11:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Sun, 15 May 2005 18:19:20 +0100, Well_i_Wonder in message
wrote:

Can someone tell me where on the plusnet site I can find important info such
as monthly limits etc?? I've been on there for half an hour and can't seem
to find anything which makes me wonder if they're trying to hide something?!

Only the fact that they don't have any set monthly limits.

Which makes it hardly surprising they don't mention them :-)

Personally, I would much rather they did have fixed limits, than the
nebulous situation they actually hev.

--
Tolkien is hobbit-forming.
Alex Heney
Old May 16th 05, 12:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jonathan Buzzard

wrote:

Can someone tell me where on the plusnet site I can find important info such
as monthly limits etc?? I've been on there for half an hour and can't seem
to find anything which makes me wonder if they're trying to hide something?!

Only the fact that they don't have any set monthly limits.

Which makes it hardly surprising they don't mention them :-)

Personally, I would much rather they did have fixed limits, than the
nebulous situation they actually hev.

Me to. Until the heavy user whiners forced the ditching of the fair use
policy, I was looking forward to an 8Mbps connection later in the year.
It takes a heavy month to come close to even half the proposed 30GB
usage and I live literally a stones throw from the exchange.

As far as I am concerned the whining heavy users maxing out their
connections who are sponging off the rest of us anyway have spoilt the
party for the vast majority of users who are well within the proposed
fair usage quotas.

JAB.

--
Jonathan A. Buzzard Email: jonathan (at) buzzard.me.uk
Northumberland, United Kingdom. Tel: +44 1661-832195

Old May 16th 05, 03:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
String

Well_i_Wonder wrote:
Can someone tell me where on the plusnet site I can find important info such
as monthly limits etc??

Although there is a usage limit since they axed the FUP they refuse to
tell you what that limit is or over what ime period.

From reading this group I was under the impression they're pretty good?

Id avoid them. If you use any of their extra services such as
email,usenet,www hosting,cgi,anti-spam and so on expect frequent
outages. They get 5 or 6 failiures on the secondary services like this
per week. Support quality and service quality has dropped dramatically
since xmas.
The moving the goal posts unspecified cap is just the last straw.
Old May 16th 05, 04:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Underwood

"String" wrote in message
Well_i_Wonder wrote:
Can someone tell me where on the plusnet site I can find important info
such as monthly limits etc??

Although there is a usage limit since they axed the FUP they refuse to
tell you what that limit is or over what ime period.

From reading this group I was under the impression they're pretty good?

Id avoid them. If you use any of their extra services such as
email,usenet,www hosting,cgi,anti-spam and so on expect frequent outages.
They get 5 or 6 failiures on the secondary services like this per week.
Support quality and service quality has dropped dramatically since xmas.
The moving the goal posts unspecified cap is just the last straw.

I beg to differ. Apart from a catastrophic failure of a CGI/FrontPage server
a few weeks ago which required all customers to upload their sites again,
I've had very good service from Force9 (aka PlusNet) over the past two
years. The phone lines are staffed by people who seem to be reasonably
knowledgeable and keen to help, unlike many ISPs. I'd certainly recommend
them to anyone who was looking for an ISP.

Old May 16th 05, 09:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Mon, 16 May 2005 15:45:43 +0100, "Martin Underwood" wrote:

"String" wrote in message
Well_i_Wonder wrote:
Can someone tell me where on the plusnet site I can find important info
such as monthly limits etc??

Although there is a usage limit since they axed the FUP they refuse to
tell you what that limit is or over what ime period.

From reading this group I was under the impression they're pretty good?

Id avoid them. If you use any of their extra services such as
email,usenet,www hosting,cgi,anti-spam and so on expect frequent outages.
They get 5 or 6 failiures on the secondary services like this per week.
Support quality and service quality has dropped dramatically since xmas.
The moving the goal posts unspecified cap is just the last straw.

I beg to differ. Apart from a catastrophic failure of a CGI/FrontPage server
a few weeks ago which required all customers to upload their sites again,
I've had very good service from Force9 (aka PlusNet) over the past two
years. The phone lines are staffed by people who seem to be reasonably
knowledgeable and keen to help, unlike many ISPs. I'd certainly recommend
them to anyone who was looking for an ISP.

I would say you are very easy to please. IMHO any ISP that is unable to
restore a web site following the failure of their server is certainly no
recommendation to entice new customers to sign up to their service.

You also state that their staff "seem to be reasonable knowledgeable"; indeed
they generally are, but when the going really gets tough then they fail
miserably. They also have a history of making silly mistakes, indicating that
their back office proceedures leave a lot to be desired.

I fail to understand how your lurking in this Newsgroup could possibly give
you the impression that this ISP is pretty good. All the mailings that have
appeared here over the last year have had the opposite effect on me.

David Bradley