Broadband setup help?

Old May 15th 05, 07:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
b_deshi

Default Broadband setup help?

Hi please can someone help, juss got BT Broadband with:
2 x splitters
1 x USB Modem

The problem I have is that the BT socket is in the ground floor and the
computer is on the 2nd floor (Attic).

The supplied telephone cable is only a few meters long. Can I use a
normal extention to take the connection from the ground floor to the top
floor? Would that degrade or cause a problem to the ADSL connection?

The other problem is the RJ11 modem cable is not the same as a normal BT
extension cable? Do I need an adapter for this or an extension?

Is this setup correct:

BT Socket with splitter: Telephone and extension then the extension goes
upstairs with another splitter, which then connects to USB modem?
Is this correct?

Any help welcome?

many thanks

deshi
Old May 15th 05, 07:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

b_deshi wrote:
Hi please can someone help, juss got BT Broadband with:
2 x splitters
1 x USB Modem

The problem I have is that the BT socket is in the ground floor and
the computer is on the 2nd floor (Attic).

The supplied telephone cable is only a few meters long. Can I use a
normal extention to take the connection from the ground floor to the
top floor? Would that degrade or cause a problem to the ADSL
connection?

Yes you can use an extension cable, it should not degrade the service.

The other problem is the RJ11 modem cable is not the same as a normal
BT extension cable? Do I need an adapter for this or an extension?

That is what the filter is for. You plug your modem cable into one side of
filter and filter goes into the BT socket.

Is this setup correct:

BT Socket with splitter: Telephone and extension then the extension
goes upstairs with another splitter, which then connects to USB modem?
Is this correct?

I don't think you need the second filter. You only need one for each
telephony device. Probably be easier if you get a longer modem cable
instead of an extension wire.

Old May 15th 05, 08:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

Install a normal BT extension socket in the attic, plug in a filter then
the modem (or get a "cross-over" BT to RJ11 lead, see below). Plug a
filter into the original socket, plug your phone back in.

If there is no phone connected to the same socket as the modem, you
don't actually need a filter on the modem. See:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5194458629

The OP will almost certainly have a suitable redundant cross-over lead
connecting his old 56k modem.

Don't use one from a phone though, they are 'straight'

I wish I had a GBP for every time I have seen a 'wasted' ADSL filter with
nothing connected to the POTS side.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old May 15th 05, 08:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 15 May 2005 20:23, Nigel M wrote:

If there is no phone connected to the same socket as the modem, you
don't actually need a filter on the modem.

Agreed. Some of my routers came with an RJ11 to BT lead anyway.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/...

Looks like someone is avoiding Ebay fees - using the postal costs...
eg buy 5 leads, 5x 0.99 = 4.95 for leads, 4x 1.65 + 1.95 = 8.55 post.
I had a whole PC delivered for a tenner... No mention of being first
class, just 'standard rate'...

30 day free trial... http://web.vfm-deals.com/runbox/
Old May 15th 05, 09:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sun, 15 May 2005 18:51:57 GMT, b_deshi
wrote:

BT Socket with splitter: Telephone and extension then the extension goes
upstairs with another splitter, which then connects to USB modem?
Is this correct?

no, that is wrong. The extension from the BT socket side is filtered
and hence has no ADSL on it.

For clarity I will call a splitter a two into one BT connector, and a
microfilter a thing with a filtered BTsocket for the phones and an
unfiltered RJ11 socket for the ADSL modem.

you would put a splitter (1 to 2) in the socket and run an extension
lead from one side upstairs, in the other side goes the microfilter
for the downstairs phone.

the extension lead upstairs would need a microfilter on the end if
there is a phone there, or as a way of providing an RJ11 socket. If no
phone you could use an RJ11-BT adaptor if required.

Phones must be filtered, ADSL modems must not pass through the
filtered side (BT socket) of microfilters.

Phil
--
Tiscali - dialup speeds at Broadband prices.
Old May 15th 05, 10:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PL

Graham wrote:

The OP will almost certainly have a suitable redundant cross-over lead
connecting his old 56k modem.

Don't use one from a phone though, they are 'straight'

I wish I had a GBP for every time I have seen a 'wasted' ADSL filter with
nothing connected to the POTS side.

How can you tell the difference between a cross-over and straight lead -
or is that a stupid question?
Old May 15th 05, 10:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Peter M wrote:

Looks like someone is avoiding Ebay fees - using the postal costs...
eg buy 5 leads, 5x 0.99 = 4.95 for leads, 4x 1.65 + 1.95 = 8.55 post.
I had a whole PC delivered for a tenner... No mention of being first
class, just 'standard rate'...

He can charge what he likes for postage. There is no such thing as avoiding
ebay fees as the fees have to be paid therefore they cannot be avoided.
1.95 is not an unreasonable postage charge. I have seen much worse on big
electrical store websites woth some charging as much as 4.95 for one cable.

Old May 15th 05, 10:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PL

Nigel M wrote:

A cross over lead has the outer two on the BT end connected to the inner
two on the RJ11 end. Quite common on dial-up modems, but can be
expensive if you buy it retail.

Nigel, just to be clear, is it possible to set the two leads apart by a
simple visual inspection? Or could you expect text on the lead?

Reason why I'm asking is because I've got an HP all-in-one printer fax
scanner, which has a port for an extension telephone. I've plugged a
phone in using three leads, but never got a dial tone. OT for u.t.b, I
know, but it could be the answer to my problem?
Old May 15th 05, 10:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sun, 15 May 2005 22:02:32 +0100, PL "neatripple AT lineone DOT
net" wrote:

How can you tell the difference between a cross-over and straight lead -
or is that a stupid question?

with a test meter, or maybe you can see if you look carefully.

Cross-over is the wrong terminology really, there are BT-RJ11 leads
that work and those that don't. Its more reliable to get a BT plug to
RJ11 socket adaptor and plug the RJ11 lead into that.

Phil
--
Tiscali - dialup speeds at Broadband prices.
Old May 15th 05, 10:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

But who is going to buy more than
one anyway?

But as I pointed out earlier, (and I hadn't even seen your ebay item at that
point)
Most new BB users will have at least one around the place without realising
it,
Your ad speaks 'The Truth' but not quite 'The whole Truth'

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%