Help is needed big time.... :-( fax problem

Old May 16th 05, 10:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Carlos Arruda

Default Help is needed big time.... :-( fax problem

Hello everyboady.
I'm having a problem that I never had before.
Normaly on an ADSL enabled phone line you'd need a filter beteween the the
phone and BT's socket, then you'd connect the phone to the phone side of the
filter and the adsl modem on the adsl side of the filter, I assume the same
is done fo a router however the problem here is that It just doesn't work.

If I get the the modem (this case is a router) alone in the filter on the
adsl side it works nice no probs here but the fax in the other side of the
filter, the side for the phone, just does not work at all.

I have to conect the fax on the same place as the modem/router is on the
filter, on the side that's supose to be just for the modem/router and by
doing so the internet and fax work properlly however whenever I want to send
or receive a fax I must desconect fisicly the modem/router otherwise it just
won't send the fax.

My real question is what the heck is going on here????

By the way the line I'm in I must dial 9 to get an outside line wich is
pretty much weird to me as this is a staright line from BT with no phone
central on the perimeses, never seen this in Portugal unless there's a phone
central.

Thanks for any help available.

Cheers
Carlos

Old May 16th 05, 10:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike GW8IJT

"Carlos Arruda" wrote in message
news
[...]

Try replacing the filter with a better one!
Regards Mike.

Old May 16th 05, 10:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 16 May 2005 08:16:20 GMT, "Carlos Arruda"
wrote:

Thanks for any help available.

posting to uk.telecom and uk.telecom.broadband separately I see.
Answer posted in the former.

Phil
--
Tiscali - dialup speeds at Broadband prices.
Old May 16th 05, 10:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 16 May 2005 09:48, "Mike GW8IJT" wrote:

SNIP

Try replacing the filter with a better one!

How about learning to *TRIM* if you have a one-liner to add !

30 day free trial... http://web.vfm-deals.com/runbox/
Old May 16th 05, 04:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Carlos Arruda

wrote:

Thanks for any help available.

posting to uk.telecom and uk.telecom.broadband separately I see.
Answer posted in the former.

Phil
--
Tiscali - dialup speeds at Broadband prices.

sorry to you all with this its just that im lost here and every time i want
to send a fax I must unplug the modem... this is driving me crazy

now the router conected straight into the wal socket with no filters works,
in portugal it would never work.

Old May 16th 05, 05:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul D.Smith

Carlos,

Basically, the filter splits the "phone socket (unfiltered)" into "ADSL
unfiltered" and "phone, filtered". Actually there is a degree of filtering
of the ADSL but not enough to worry about.

It is very odd to have to dial "9" to get an outside line and then have ADSL
as well. Where are you? A commercial property or a house or what?

I believe that the fax really ought to work through the filter but it is
possible that you have a cheap filter that cuts off the frequencies used by
the fax. You might try a better quality filter. http://www.solwise.co.uk
seem to get a lot of good comments on thie newsgroup. I don't know whether
you can telephone and ask for their suggestions but you should certainly be
able to email a query.

Paul DS.

Old May 16th 05, 06:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 16 May 2005 15:10:58 +0100, "Carlos Arruda"
wrote:

now the router conected straight into the wal socket with no filters works,
in portugal it would never work.

the router connection on a filter is straight through, its only phones
that need filtering - no phones or faxes on line = no filter required.

Phil
Old May 16th 05, 08:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Carlos Arruda

Paul D.Smith wrote in message
[...]

Hello.
Yes it is a commercial porperty.

Done some tests today and here's the results,

1 phone conected straight to the BT phone socket on the wall with no filter
= phone works
1 fax conected straight to the BT phone socket on the wall with no filter =
fax does not has dial tone therefore does not work
Router/modem ADSL conected straight into BT's socket on the wall with no
filters = works with no problems
Router/modem ADSL conected straight into BT's socket on the wall with filter
= works with no problems
Router/modem ADSl modem and one phone conected to one filter = works booth,
internet and phone
Previous situation but instead the phone a fax = internet works but the fax
does not works
The only way the fax works is by ussing the same RJ11 than the modem does,
that's why whenever I want to send a fax I must umplug the RJ11 from the
modem or switch the modem's power off.
The number 9 that i must dial before to get an outside line is what BT cals
a Featureline.

What I find really weird is the fact that the phone works on BT's phone
socket but the fax don't.

Thanks to you all,
Carlos Arruda

Old May 16th 05, 08:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter R Cook

In message , Carlos Arruda
writes
[...]

This is not an ADSL problem, its a wiring problem between the Fax
machine and the BT line.

The BT Socket is not normally capable of taking an RJ11 plug, are you
using an adapter between the FAX machines RJ11 and the BT socket? I
suggest either the adapter is not presenting the correct lines to the
RJ-11 on the fax, or the adapter is simply broke. Get a proper cable
from the fax machine to a BT plug.

--
Peter R Cook
Old May 16th 05, 11:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Carlos Arruda

"Peter R Cook" wrote in message
In message , Carlos Arruda
writes
. net...

=
[...]

No.
I'm using a normal cable with one end with RJ11 and the other end the normal
bt plug.
Carlos