Broadband at new property when I move in?

Old May 16th 05, 11:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

Default Broadband at new property when I move in?

I am moving house on 31 May and I desperately need my broadband connected on
the day I move in (can't be without it as I need it for work). The owner of
the property is taking his telephone number with him so I have had to
arrange a new telephone number to be activated at the property on the day I
move in. Now I need my broadband service activated on the same day (or at
least the day after). I have been told by two service providers and also BT
Broadband that I can't apply for broadband on the new number until the line
is active. I must then wait a further 7 - 14 days before I get my broadband.

This is totally unacceptable to me. I cannot believe in this day and age I
can't get broadband activated on the day I move in. I can understand that
there may be a backlog however I am able to give them 2 weeks notice right
now of the new number, the address of the property so why must I wait until
I move before I can arrange it?

PS. I have also looked for a cable operator in the area but unfortunately
there in not one.

Old May 17th 05, 12:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stefan Kaniuk

what area are you in?? are you sure there isnt a cable operator in your
area, ntl/telewest for example.

Old May 17th 05, 12:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flying Rat

In article , Gaz
says...
[...]

Eclipse can possibly accomodate. If they get a form of order matching
reference from BT for reconnection, then they can marry it up with a
service enabling request.

Give them a go. Contact details are on www.eclipse.net.uk
Old May 17th 05, 12:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

In article ,
says...
[...]

Hi there,

As one of the other posters points out, it's possible to do a
simultaneous PSTN/ADSL order. You can get a mover's code from BT and
your chosen ISP can then link this up with an ADSL order and both
services go live the same day. That's the theory, at least, simultaneous
provides have a habit of getting cancelled for one reason or another by
BT, and it can cause problems.

For certainty, if possible I would recommend you have BT activate the
phone line (in your name) at your new property at least 7 days before
you move in and place the ADSL order when the line is active - from what
you've written it appears the previous occupants are moving out very
shortly before you move in so that won't be possible.

Regards,
--
www.plus.net
+------ PlusNet - The smarter way to broadband ------
Old May 17th 05, 02:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

"Gaz" wrote in message
[...]

Do you really need broadband? Couldn't you get by with a dial-up for a week
or so?... and then switch over top broadband again once its back on your
line? Thats what I would do in your situation, unless of course dial-up is
not an option, for a week or so...

Old May 17th 05, 07:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sebastian Kinnaird

"Gaz" wrote
I am moving house on 31 May and I desperately need my broadband connected
on the day I move in (can't be without it as I need it for work).

If it's that important you could always rent a 3G Data Card or similar.
Searching UK sites on Google for '3G Data Card Rental' came up with these
guys:-
http://www.cellhire.co.uk/content/co...atacard_3g.htm

It doesn't mention a minimum rental term, but seeing as they rent phones
just a day at a time I'm assuming it'll be the same with the 3G Data Cards.
Potentially expensive, but if a fast internet connection is a necessity then
it's probably worthwhile to not rely on BT.

It's also worth considering SDSL instead of ADSL due to the improved SLA
you'll get, but again it's more expensive so you'd have to weigh things up
to see if it's worth it to you.

Another option for broadband is Netvigator (http://www.netvigator.co.uk/),
if you're within their catchment area. They can supposedly deliver within
24hrs if you order online.

Seb
--
Sebastian Kinnaird

Old May 17th 05, 09:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Blunt

On Mon, 16 May 2005 23:48:17 +0100, PlusNet Support Team
wrote:

In article ,
says...
[...]

Wouldn't it be possible for him to arrange to have the PSTN line
installed a couple of weeks before he moves in, assuming the previous
occupants are willing to cooperate?

Chris

Old May 17th 05, 10:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
elyob

"Gaz" wrote in message
[...]

Spend the week in a Starbucks.

Old May 17th 05, 11:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 17 May 2005 15:27 +0800, Chris Blunt wrote:

Wouldn't it be possible for him to arrange to have the PSTN line
installed a couple of weeks before he moves in, assuming the previous
occupants are willing to cooperate?

That might be fine for a *new phone line* but if they are still there, they
will want the *existing phone line* to keep the same number. Of course, he
could consider (since this is for work) getting a completely new line since
that way, he can try the previously mentioned 'simultaneous provision'. The
bit I laughed about (and would have responded to earlier had we not had the
power fail for a few hours in the night) was that "unnacceptable" word when
a bit more advance research would have made him aware of the likely problem
is doing this in a 'get phone line sorted, deal with ADSL later' manner.

30 day free trial... http://web.vfm-deals.com/runbox/
Old May 17th 05, 02:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Blunt

On Tue, 17 May 2005 10:23:09 +0100, Peter M
wrote:

On 17 May 2005 15:27 +0800, Chris Blunt wrote:

Wouldn't it be possible for him to arrange to have the PSTN line
installed a couple of weeks before he moves in, assuming the previous
occupants are willing to cooperate?

That might be fine for a *new phone line* but if they are still there, they
will want the *existing phone line* to keep the same number. Of course, he
could consider (since this is for work) getting a completely new line since
that way, he can try the previously mentioned 'simultaneous provision'.

I think that's what I'd do if the availability of broadband was so
important, as it appears to be in this case. The additional cost of a
new installation rather than taking over an existing line would seem
to be a small price to pay to get an essential service delivered on
time.

Chris