Exchange capacity problem?

Old May 17th 05, 12:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Trevor Morris

Default Exchange capacity problem?

My exchange (Gower) was ADSL-enabled on 4 May (1 day early): it serves about
1200 subscribers. I placed an order with Zen on 10 May, and got an email on
12 May saying there would be an unspecified delay due to a capacity problem
at the exchange. BT gave no timetable for solving the problem. One week
from availability to running out of capacity - is this a record, I wonder?

Old May 17th 05, 12:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

In article , trevor.morris42
@DELETETHIStesco.net says...
My exchange (Gower) was ADSL-enabled on 4 May (1 day early): it serves about
1200 subscribers. I placed an order with Zen on 10 May, and got an email on
12 May saying there would be an unspecified delay due to a capacity problem
at the exchange. BT gave no timetable for solving the problem. One week
from availability to running out of capacity - is this a record, I wonder?

Hi there,

It probably just means BT under-estimated the demand prior to the
exchange going live. They'll only have installed as many line cards as
was deemed cost effective, and because they don't know how many people
have placed orders if the ISPs queue the orders locally rather than
inputting them into BT's system, they can't prepare for the demand.

I wouldn't imagine it would be too long - just a case of BT finding the
time to task an engineer to fit more cards into the DSLAM.

Regards,
--
+------ PlusNet - The smarter way to broadband ------
Old May 17th 05, 01:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

PlusNet Support Team wrote:
In article , trevor.morris42
@DELETETHIStesco.net says...
[...]

Depends on whether BT need to blow in a new fibre as well, in which case it
could be :-(

Old May 17th 05, 10:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stevie Boy

My exchange (Gower) was ADSL-enabled on 4 May (1 day early): it serves
about
1200 subscribers. I placed an order with Zen on 10 May, and got an email
on 12 May saying there would be an unspecified delay due to a capacity
problem at the exchange. BT gave no timetable for solving the problem.
One week from availability to running out of capacity - is this a record,
I wonder?

Similiar problem here with the VP status being *Red* on the line. According
to Zen this is the reason why my connection has slowed down dramatically
with regard to opening pages within websites :-(

Good news tho' should be back up and running normally by the 25th of this
month.

Steve

Old May 17th 05, 11:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter

On Mon, 16 May 2005 23:40:57 +0100, PlusNet Support Team
wrote:

In article , trevor.morris42
says...
[...]

Is it a case of 1 line card per customer? I ask because I'm aware of
the location of Gower exchange - seriously rural with probably not too
many people within ADSL service range of the exchange (I use the term
exchange loosely as I seem to remember it's an RCU) - possibly less
than 100. Some of the e siides are particularly ropey - quite a few
pairs have been abandoned in the cable serving me.

--
Cheers

Peter
Old May 18th 05, 12:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
P H

"Peter" wrote in message
news
Is it a case of 1 line card per customer?
--
Cheers

Peter

Depends on the make of the DSLAM (Alcatel, Fujitsu etc) but most cards have
around 31 End Users per card. It should only be a case that if your exchange
is that small that all that is needed is an extra card slotted in to the
DSLAM rack. All the wiring and fibre should be already in place.

Phill.

Old May 18th 05, 12:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Trevor Morris

"P H" wrote in message

"Peter" wrote in message
news
Is it a case of 1 line card per customer?
--
Cheers

Peter

Depends on the make of the DSLAM (Alcatel, Fujitsu etc) but most cards
have around 31 End Users per card. It should only be a case that if your
exchange is that small that all that is needed is an extra card slotted in
to the DSLAM rack. All the wiring and fibre should be already in place.

Phill.

Interesting. See http://www.reynoldston.com/new_page_13.htm describing an
established,
satellite-based broadband service covering about 50 line-of-sight customers
in the vicinity of this exchange - a possible reason for a lower rather than
a higher demand on BT, I would have thought. (I am about 6 km away, rated
"very unlikely" to get a 512 or 256k service.)
TM

Old May 18th 05, 01:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Reg Edwards

They may have worked on equipping the exchange before the formal
opening date without announcing the fact. There's no reason why they
should. Be gratetful something is happening. ;o) ;o)
----
Reg