Free wi-fi in France

Old May 17th 05, 08:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rob

Default Free wi-fi in France

Well, I'm heading across the channel next week for my 2 week holiday in
the La Rochelle area. I was wondering if there are any free wi-fi
systems across there like there are in the USA?

Anyone have any idea, or any web addresses that might assist?

Thanks!
Rob
Old May 17th 05, 11:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JPG

On Tue, 17 May 2005 19:52:02 +0100, Rob wrote:

Well, I'm heading across the channel next week for my 2 week holiday in
the La Rochelle area. I was wondering if there are any free wi-fi
systems across there like there are in the USA?

I wonder. So much for the wonders of WiFi - when you go into a
Wetherspoons pub or UK airport terminal it's there, but you have to
part with your had-earned dosh to access it. Rip-off Britain again.

The only free WiFi I found in the states was in Chick fil-A.

JPG

Old May 18th 05, 03:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dan

You'll be lucky to find free wifi in any part of europe or even the states
for that matter.

I read about several cities in the us providing free wifi access all over
but the cable companies are kicking up a big fuss about it and so far
suceeding.

I agree wifi should be free in airports/planes etc. Waiting in an airport
for three hours isn't fun! It surely couldn't cost that much to provide free
internet access. They must make enough money out of us!

However theres normally loads of unsecured wifi access points that you could
just connect to to surf the net or something. I know its wrong but you are
hardly causing harm.

I'm slighlt drunk so if anything is wrong about this msg ignore it lol

Dan

Old May 18th 05, 07:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Caretaker

Rob wrote:
Well, I'm heading across the channel next week for my 2 week holiday in
the La Rochelle area. I was wondering if there are any free wi-fi
systems across there like there are in the USA?

Anyone have any idea, or any web addresses that might assist?

Unlikely to find commercial free wifi access points.

We have been known to access (totally illegally of course) unsecured
WAP's, but it's an ad-hoc solution and not generally to be recommended.

--
The Caretaker .........

If you want me to read an email, post to the newsgroup saying you've
sent me mail. I rarely check this mailbox.
Old May 18th 05, 08:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Wireless Reader

JPG wrote:

I wonder. So much for the wonders of WiFi - when you go into a
Wetherspoons pub or UK airport terminal it's there, but you have to
part with your had-earned dosh to access it. Rip-off Britain again.

You mean like you part with your hard-earned dosh to pay for drinks? A
real rip-off.

The only free WiFi I found in the states was in Chick fil-A.

Rip off States then? I heard it was free everywhere and they gave you
free coffee as well.
Old May 18th 05, 11:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joe Chip

On Tue, 17 May 2005 22:15:11 +0100, JPG wrote:

The only free WiFi I found in the states was in Chick fil-A.

Panera is also actually free ...

http://www.panerabread.com/wifi.aspx

--

Joe Chip

h o v x . v a p @ t z n v y . p b z

rot that
Old May 18th 05, 12:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rob

The Caretaker wrote:
Rob wrote:

Well, I'm heading across the channel next week for my 2 week holiday
in the La Rochelle area. I was wondering if there are any free wi-fi
systems across there like there are in the USA?

Anyone have any idea, or any web addresses that might assist?

Unlikely to find commercial free wifi access points.

We have been known to access (totally illegally of course) unsecured
WAP's, but it's an ad-hoc solution and not generally to be recommended.

Just as I thought, but it was worth asking just in case someone knew
something I didn't!

Just want to do the occasional surf & Voip call (much cheaper than
roaming on the mobile!!!!)

Cheers,
Rob
Old May 18th 05, 02:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Caretaker

Rob wrote:
The Caretaker wrote:

Rob wrote:

Well, I'm heading across the channel next week for my 2 week holiday
in the La Rochelle area. I was wondering if there are any free wi-fi
systems across there like there are in the USA?

Anyone have any idea, or any web addresses that might assist?

Unlikely to find commercial free wifi access points.

We have been known to access (totally illegally of course) unsecured
WAP's, but it's an ad-hoc solution and not generally to be recommended.

Just as I thought, but it was worth asking just in case someone knew
something I didn't!

Just want to do the occasional surf & Voip call (much cheaper than
roaming on the mobile!!!!)

LOL, for 'occasional use' Network Stumbler might help ........

Old May 18th 05, 08:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rob

LOL, for 'occasional use' Network Stumbler might help ........

Yes...it is installed, along with wdriver!

Rob