Plusnet's 2mb/s is slower then it's 512 kb/s connection and being5.5 times slower then Pipex - why?

Old May 18th 05, 02:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dee

Default Plusnet's 2mb/s is slower then it's 512 kb/s connection and being5.5 times slower then Pipex - why?

I migrated yesterday from Pipex 512 kb/s to PlusNet's 512kb/s (Plus
option for 14.99 per month) with an order to regrade to the fastest
possible speed.

I can log into the intrnet with both pipex and plusnet ID's and
Passwords yesterday both ISP's were working for me and I'd say PlusNet
was a little quicker then Pipex at 512 kb/s

I just got home and see I'm now connected at 2 mb/s and decided to test
this new fast download speed and have to say I more then dissapointed.

It's now 2:23am GMT and I'm downloading with plusnet 2 mb/s slower then
I was yesterday with both pipex 512 kb/s and PlusNet kb/s.

ADSL Guide's speed test shows now shows a download speed with plusnet 2
mb/s of just 44.9 KB/sec Yesterday (before regrading) it was more like
55 KB/sec

As I understood it the Plus option for 14.99 slows down your download
speed at peaks time - it's 2:30am on a Wednesday morning - is that a
peak time?

I've now logged into my pipex account and did the same test and the
download speed I get is 174.1 kb/s compared to plusnet's 44.9 kb/s

I've also gone to the Sunet website to download the open office beta

http://ftp.sunet.se/pub/Office/OpenO...oper/680_m100/

With pipex after 10 seconds the average speed is 193 kb/s

with plusnet after 10 seconds the average speed is just 33.5 kb/s - I
downloaded the same file yeterday with plusnet 512 kb/s and it was more
like 55 kb/s

so my questions is why at 2am to 2:30am is Plus Net 2mb/s service so
slow? And slower then yesterday (before egrading) as well as in
particular almost 5.5 times slower then pipex?

The tests comparisions with Pipex show the line is capable of a decent
speed so the problem must be at Plus Net's end? is 2:32am considered
peak time?
Old May 18th 05, 10:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Wed, 18 May 2005 02:42:38 +0100, Dee in message
wrote:

I migrated yesterday from Pipex 512 kb/s to PlusNet's 512kb/s (Plus
option for 14.99 per month) with an order to regrade to the fastest
possible speed.

I can log into the intrnet with both pipex and plusnet ID's and
Passwords yesterday both ISP's were working for me and I'd say PlusNet
was a little quicker then Pipex at 512 kb/s

I just got home and see I'm now connected at 2 mb/s and decided to test
this new fast download speed and have to say I more then dissapointed.

How sis you "see" you are now connected at 2Mb.

If it just what your router is reporting, then PN have probably not
upgraded on their side yet.

But if you have had notification from PN, then you should have been fully
upgraded.

The tests comparisions with Pipex show the line is capable of a decent
speed so the problem must be at Plus Net's end? is 2:32am considered
peak time?

If you are using the same line, then you are either using Plusnet all the
time, or you are using Pipex all the time. You simply cannot have two
different ADSL services on the same line.

--
Want a taste of religion? Bite a minister.
Alex Heney
Old May 18th 05, 10:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stefan Kaniuk

oh you lot should really try ntl, super fast service and not once had a
dropped connection, in fact it has alwya run a top speed.

Old May 18th 05, 11:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Depresion

"Stefan Kaniuk" wrote in message
oh you lot should really try ntl, super fast service and not once had a
dropped connection, in fact it has alwya run a top speed.

ROFL. NTL is presently falling over, speeds are all over the place (both of
these are mainly down to there totally crap "transparent" proxies) over the last
3 years not one month has gone by without some loss of service, and customer
service is so far from actually being a service for there paying customers to be
a breach of trade descriptions. The second BT gets ADSL here I'm off to Sky and
a new ISP.

Oh and don't top post it makes following threads much harder.

Old May 18th 05, 12:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stefan Kaniuk

"Depresion" wrote in message

"Stefan Kaniuk" wrote in message
oh you lot should really try ntl, super fast service and not once had a
dropped connection, in fact it has alwya run a top speed.

ROFL. NTL is presently falling over, speeds are all over the place (both
of these are mainly down to there totally crap "transparent" proxies) over
the last 3 years not one month has gone by without some loss of service,
and customer service is so far from actually being a service for there
paying customers to be a breach of trade descriptions. The second BT gets
ADSL here I'm off to Sky and a new ISP.

Oh and don't top post it makes following threads much harder.

Well you may find that the case but since we had ntl installed it genuinely
has been superb, perhaps its a case though, of who you know, direct lines
into cs etc,etc.

Old May 18th 05, 12:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dee

Alex Heney wrote:

If you are using the same line, then you are either using Plusnet all the
time, or you are using Pipex all the time. You simply cannot have two
different ADSL services on the same line.

Well then how do you explain that I can connect with both ISP's using
both usernames and passwords and get totally different download speeds?

Who says there isn't a crossover? Are you saying that if you move from
one supplier to another they pull out a wire from Pipex equipment and
plug it into Plusnet one?

Old May 18th 05, 02:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 18 May 2005 12:52, Dee wrote:

Who says there isn't a crossover? Are you saying that if you move from
one supplier to another they pull out a wire from Pipex equipment and
plug it into Plusnet one?

Well, no 'wire' involved, but there's usually a change to settings which
blocks use of 'other' ISPs than the one you are expected to use, and
unlike ISDN/dial-up, one generally doesn't have this facility. Peter.

30 day free trial... http://web.vfm-deals.com/runbox/
Can accept mail for your domain and apply filtering...
Point your MX record to mx.runbox.com and use POP/IMAP...
Old May 18th 05, 03:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

wrote:

I migrated yesterday from Pipex 512 kb/s to PlusNet's 512kb/s (Plus
option for 14.99 per month) with an order to regrade to the fastest
possible speed.

snip

Hi,

It sounds like out automated systems haven't picked up your regrade yet,
if you give the support team a call they'll be able to update your account
details to reflect the fastest speed. Once they've done this give your
equipment a reboot and you'll be on 2Mbps.

With Regards,

Dave,
Old May 18th 05, 04:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

Nigel M wrote:

Why not? Surely the if line is plugged into a DSLAM, you can connect to
any ISP that will authenticate you?

Not strictly true.

BT plug you in at the exchange, yes. But they also have to create an
entry for you in their SSB database. This determines the 'realm' a
customer can connect to (eg. @plusdsl.net). To be honest you should only
be able to connect to one realm at a time.

Having said that it is not impossible to be provided on more than one
realm. We have a test machine here that can connect to multiple VISPs

Kind Regards,