moving to broadband - time to get protected ?

Old May 18th 05, 08:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ciqret

Default moving to broadband - time to get protected ?

I am posting this as dialup user, but have recently signed up for broadband.

I've no security measures in place on my PC. (Of any kind.)
(Well not quite none - common sense (email/downloads) and cautious
cookie control.)

What security measures (type and brand) would your recommend generally ?
And what should I now particularly consider to combat new risks opened
up by broadband?

Thank you

Stuart
[ciqret]
Old May 18th 05, 09:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R D S

"ciqret" wrote in message
I am posting this as dialup user, but have recently signed up for

broadband.

I've no security measures in place on my PC. (Of any kind.)
(Well not quite none - common sense (email/downloads) and cautious
cookie control.)

What security measures (type and brand) would your recommend generally ?
And what should I now particularly consider to combat new risks opened
up by broadband?

Thank you

Stuart
[ciqret]

Generally.....
Use an anti virus such as AVG (free)
And a firewall, zonealarm, easy to use and set up (free)
And use lavasoft adaware (free) and spybot search and destroy (free) as
often as you can be arsed to keep things tidy removing nasty registry
entries and cookies, at least weekly I would reckon.

Old May 18th 05, 09:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Use an anti virus such as AVG (free)
And a firewall, zonealarm, easy to use and set up (free)
And use lavasoft adaware (free) and spybot search and destroy (free) as
often as you can be arsed to keep things tidy removing nasty registry
entries and cookies, at least weekly I would reckon.

All good advice but add a router that has a true SPI firewall.

Peter Crosland

Old May 18th 05, 09:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Peter Crosland wrote:
Use an anti virus such as AVG (free)
And a firewall, zonealarm, easy to use and set up (free)
And use lavasoft adaware (free) and spybot search and destroy (free)
as often as you can be arsed to keep things tidy removing nasty
registry entries and cookies, at least weekly I would reckon.

All good advice but add a router that has a true SPI firewall.

MS Antispy is suprisingly good as well (it's not been developed by MS so
that explains it)...

Old May 18th 05, 11:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex

"ciqret" wrote in message
I am posting this as dialup user, but have recently signed up for
broadband.

I've no security measures in place on my PC. (Of any kind.)
(Well not quite none - common sense (email/downloads) and cautious cookie
control.)

What security measures (type and brand) would your recommend generally ?
And what should I now particularly consider to combat new risks opened up
by broadband?

Thank you

Yes, I always wear a full sized body condom when surfing the net on
broadband!
Similar to the ones worn in Airplane....

Old May 18th 05, 11:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stefan Kaniuk

oh dear just the sort of comment one would expect from a juvenil aged 15, if
you cant assist the op dont bother replying to the op's posting, but just
for the record he is a bit of a dumb ass for not having any security
measures at all, i have not had 1 single issue in the last 12 months with my
systems both at home and work.

Old May 19th 05, 12:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex

"Stefan Kaniuk" wrote in message
oh dear just the sort of comment one would expect from a juvenil aged 15,
if you cant assist the op dont bother replying to the op's posting, but
just for the record he is a bit of a dumb ass for not having any security
measures at all, i have not had 1 single issue in the last 12 months with
my systems both at home and work.

Well thats rich coming from you. The same Stefan Kaniuk that has just
contibuted to the Tiscali thread over the past few days and who never added
a useful point to it? Infact you took it totally off subject in the end!

Don't you also know its not the done thing to top post?

Oh and you obviously don't have a sense of humour!

Alex

Old May 19th 05, 12:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stefan Kaniuk

i post anyway i choose thankyou very much,this is the internet and not the
real world in case you had forgotten, your just another schoolboy net cop
with nothing better to do.

isnt it time for beddy byes :-)

Old May 19th 05, 12:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex

"Alex" wrote in message
"Stefan Kaniuk" wrote in message
oh dear just the sort of comment one would expect from a juvenil aged
15, if you cant assist the op dont bother replying to the op's posting,
but just for the record he is a bit of a dumb ass for not having any
security measures at all, i have not had 1 single issue in the last 12
months with my systems both at home and work.

Well thats rich coming from you. The same Stefan Kaniuk that has just
contibuted to the Tiscali thread over the past few days and who never
added a useful point to it? Infact you took it totally off subject in
the end!

Don't you also know its not the done thing to top post?

Oh and you obviously don't have a sense of humour!

Alex

If you're not careful, you`ll spoil this thread, just like you did the last
one you contributed to.

Alex

Old May 19th 05, 12:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Wed, 18 May 2005 22:14:09 GMT, "Stefan Kaniuk"
wrote:

i post anyway i choose thankyou very much,

Yeah, thats fine, you post any way you choose. But remember...

this is the internet and not the real world in case you had forgotten,
your just another schoolboy net cop with nothing better to do.

.... anyone who posts drivel time after time gets killfiled and then
nobody listens to him. Since cretins like that mostly like stirring up
effect and shoutin other people down, this will probably be annoying
for them. Good.

*plonk*