How can I tell sync speed

Old May 19th 05, 11:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Tullett

Default How can I tell sync speed

I have a Belkin 54g Wireless router which indicates the actual down/up data
rates, currently 576 and 288. I have a feeling my DSLAM has been upgraded
to the new higher speeds, currently coming online on the BT network. Is
there a way I can check my sync speed for this router?

--
Mike Coleraine 55.13N 6.69W posted 19/05/2005 09:24:59 UTC
Old May 19th 05, 04:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 19 May 2005 10:24, Mike Tullett wrote:

I have a Belkin 54g Wireless router which indicates the actual down/up data
rates, currently 576 and 288.

Out of interest, where do you see this info, please ? Just been looking
at someone's unit which seems not to have the speed shown anywhere. PGM.
Old May 19th 05, 04:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Tullett

On Thu, 19 May 2005 15:12:13 +0100, Peter M wrote in
.86

I have a Belkin 54g Wireless router which indicates the actual down/up data
rates, currently 576 and 288.

Out of interest, where do you see this info, please ? Just been looking
at someone's unit which seems not to have the speed shown anywhere. PGM.

Hi Peter
It shows on the "Belkin" Home page after going to http://192.168.2.1/ I
see the following as part of that page:

ADSL Internet Settings Type Fast Default Gateway 195.166.128.53
Status No Defect Primary DNS Server 212.159.6.10
Downstream Upstream Secondary DNS Server 212.159.13.50
Data rate 576 288 WAN IP 212.159.112.***
Noise margin 29.5 25.0
Attenuation 38.0 20.0

--
Mike Coleraine 55.13N 6.69W posted 19/05/2005 14:37:48 UTC
Old May 19th 05, 04:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NBT

Mike Tullett wrote:
On Thu, 19 May 2005 15:12:13 +0100, Peter M wrote in
.86

I have a Belkin 54g Wireless router which indicates the actual down/up data
rates, currently 576 and 288.

Out of interest, where do you see this info, please ? Just been looking
at someone's unit which seems not to have the speed shown anywhere. PGM.

Hi Peter
It shows on the "Belkin" Home page after going to http://192.168.2.1/ I
see the following as part of that page:

ADSL Internet Settings Type Fast Default Gateway 195.166.128.53
Status No Defect Primary DNS Server 212.159.6.10
Downstream Upstream Secondary DNS Server 212.159.13.50
Data rate 576 288 WAN IP 212.159.112.***
Noise margin 29.5 25.0
Attenuation 38.0 20.0

What do you get if you run this speed test?
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp
Old May 19th 05, 05:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Tullett

On Thu, 19 May 2005 14:45:50 +0000 (UTC), NBT wrote in

It shows on the "Belkin" Home page after going to http://192.168.2.1/ I
see the following as part of that page:

ADSL Internet Settings Type Fast Default Gateway 195.166.128.53
Status No Defect Primary DNS Server 212.159.6.10
Downstream Upstream Secondary DNS Server 212.159.13.50
Data rate 576 288 WAN IP 212.159.112.***
Noise margin 29.5 25.0
Attenuation 38.0 20.0

What do you get if you run this speed test?
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp

I am seeing no change in the figures there, with about 460 Kb/sec down and
244 Kb/sec up. Those are very typical for my 512 connection, but I have a
feeling my noise margin and attenuation figures have changed slightly,
perhaps indicating my line has been upgraded.

Work on my DSLAM started last month, so it is quite feasible it has been
completed.

--
Mike Coleraine 55.13N 6.69W posted 19/05/2005 15:03:08 UTC
Old May 19th 05, 05:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On Thu, 19 May 2005 15:37:48 +0100, Mike Tullett
wrote:

It shows on the "Belkin" Home page after going to http://192.168.2.1/ I
see the following as part of that page:

ADSL Internet Settings Type Fast Default Gateway 195.166.128.53
Status No Defect Primary DNS Server 212.159.6.10
Downstream Upstream Secondary DNS Server 212.159.13.50
Data rate 576 288 WAN IP 212.159.112.***
Noise margin 29.5 25.0
Attenuation 38.0 20.0

Thanks Mike. I just checked and this (from V.A.1.04.03UK - which is
presumably a much out-of-date version of firmware) is an extract from
the Belkin I am able to view (with no speed info, hence my query :-)

Internet Settings
WAN MAC Address 00-30-BD-xx-xx-xx
Cable/DSL CONNECTED
WAN IP 212.159.49.xx
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway 195.166.128.124
Primary DNS 212.159.13.49
Secondary DNS 212.159.13.50

30 day free trial... http://web.vfm-deals.com/runbox/
Can accept mail for your domain and apply filtering...
Point your MX record to mx.runbox.com and use POP/IMAP...
Old May 19th 05, 05:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 19 May 2005 16:03, Mike Tullett wrote:

Work on my DSLAM started last month

Did it say " Multiple visits are required for the upgrades ..." ? and if
so, did you see " BT state that a minimum period of 3 weeks will elapse
between each visit " ? Peter M.

Old May 19th 05, 05:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Tullett

On Thu, 19 May 2005 16:17:59 +0100, Peter M wrote in
.87

Work on my DSLAM started last month

Did it say " Multiple visits are required for the upgrades ..." ? and if
so, did you see " BT state that a minimum period of 3 weeks will elapse
between each visit " ? Peter M.

I had to go back to the new Plusnet usertools page to check, but, yes,
those words are indeed there. It is just that others seem to know they can
sync at say 2 megabits/sec, even though they can still only transfer at the
old speeds. I'm wondering how they know they have that new connect/sync
speed.

--
Mike Coleraine 55.13N 6.69W posted 19/05/2005 15:34:42 UTC
Old May 19th 05, 05:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 19 May 2005 16:34, Mike Tullett wrote:

I'm wondering how they know they have that new connect/sync speed.

The status page will show that speed. Clearly while parts of your
exchange may have been regraded, they haven't yet got to your line.
One of my lines has shown 2272/288 (the sync speed to the exchange)
while the service I paid for was not for 2000 download, but 1000.

In my case it was throttled by the ISP, because I had asked for a
1000 kbps service (chosen for price) while in the case of Plus.Net
it seems their control facilities allow them to control each a/c
speed but the older account types don't have the higher speeds
(would love someone to post a screen grab to know what they *do*
see at their end!!). I had been meaning to say 'reboot your
router each day and you might spot the change... if you check
there was a post from PN support to Jules to do 'just that' :-)

Enjoy it when you get it, but as they say "patience is a virtue".

Old May 24th 05, 08:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Tullett

On Thu, 19 May 2005 16:56:36 +0100, Peter M wrote in
.87

[...]

I found the answer to my original question when I turned on the PC this
morning. My Internet connection icon in the system tray was showing 2.2
Mb/sec and the Belkin "Home" page was showing figures of 2272 down and 288
up. So my exchange now has the higher speed.

The trouble now is I cannot seem to get my old 512 Home Self Install
account speed upped. The support reply to my ticket indicated I would need
to change account, yet others say this should not be needed. No-one from
Plusnet Support has replied to my question in a post made early this
morning in their plusnet.service.customer-feedback:-(

--
Mike Coleraine 55.13N 6.69W posted 24/05/2005 18:22:31 UTC